What Is Hoch-Kurz Mashing and Some Other Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the most part, I get Hoch-Kurz is mashing 'high/short'. So, how could this be applied to those who are propane based and still use a cooler? For reference, my rig has two burner for the boil and hlt, and my cooler (if it matters) has a stainless liner, I just can't direct fire it.

1 So, how could this be applied to cooler style mash tuns?
2 Does this conflict anyway with modern style mashing (30-40 min single infusions and 30 min boils)?
3) German term, so German only ingredients? (lame question, but lead in into....)

On another note, I ordered some Briess Pilsen malt. Can I....

4) still make good German style beers with American grains (pilsen, vienna, etc)?
5) Do I need to decoct for these styles?
6) Is Melanoidin malt a requirement if you can't do a decoction?

Not to sound like "that guy", but the local store I go to had some Pilsner Urquell, which I have tried and never looked back (sipping on some now). This beer and Founder's All Day IPA are my two favs right now, so wonder if Hoch-Kurz could be (should be?) implemented if I were to try to clone these two beers.

Sorry for the questions. I saw this term in another thread and the (square) wheels in my head are turning.....

Hoch kurz means that you do two shortly timed steps, usually each about 30 minutes long. The first one will be at 62c for beta amylase to get going and the second will be at 72 to gelatinise the remaining starch and to enable alpha amylase to chop down the remaining dextrins that the beta did not get at 62c.

I do step/decoction mashes in my boil kettles under low heat and constant stirring/scraping the bottom with a wooden paddle. I'm using an induction plate at 1200-1800W, about half its heating capacity. The kettles have a (thick) tri-ply bottom and I get very little scorching.

Then use the cooler mash tun for lautering, holding the bulk of the mash during decoctions, and lautering (batch) sparging.

Last edited:
I do step/decoction mashes in my boil kettles under low heat and constant stirring/scraping the bottom with a wooden paddle. I'm using an induction plate at 1200-1800W, about half its heating capacity. The kettles have a (thick) tri-ply bottom and I get very little scorching.

Then use the cooler mash tun for lautering, holding the bulk of the mash during decoctions, and lautering.

I've wondered about that for decoctions since I don't have a direct fired MLT. I've even wondered if I could drain the wort, heat it to the temp needed to bring the mash up to the next temp step, instead of heating the mash portions themselves. Good/Bad?

@Miraculix Is Huch-Kurz just really splittling a single infusion mash to two different 30 min infusions?

I thought you had to do that in one of these:
horcrux-cup.jpg

Is Huch-Kurz just really splittling a single infusion mash to two different 30 min infusions?
From an execution standpoint yes it's really that simple. The difficulty comes in getting from one temp to the next without too much time in between. I have a 220 system that can go from the 62 rest to the 72 rest pretty quickly. Otherwise, maybe holding back some of your water and infusing with hot water can help you make the step more quickly.

Does this conflict anyway with modern style mashing (30-40 min single infusions and 30 min boils)?
I'm not sure what you mean here. It shouldn't require you to treat the beer any differently in the downstream process in comparison to when you do a single infusion.

German term, so German only ingredients? (lame question, but lead in into....)
Certainly not. It can apply for a wide variety of situations. I was in that other thread where you saw this come up. I have used it primarily for German lagers because it gives me the effects that I am looking for in those beers. I've definitely done it with non-German ingredients and it works just fine. Now I'm curious about applying it to my other beers based on what Miraculix and Broothru said :)

still make good German style beers with American grains (pilsen, vienna, etc)?
This one is tricky because people are going to define "good German styles" differently. I've done "German" lagers with Dingeman Pils and vienna that was malted in Indiana. I was using what I had on hand and went with restrained additions of noble hops. It came out different but just fine to me. You will be missing the flavors you'd get from good German malts but the hochkurz technique works well, will give you a similar effect, and you will make you a tasty beer. It's up to you to decide if it's what you want. If you are truly trying to match a good German style beer then I would recommend using good German ingredients. Don't be scared of using what you have, though.

Do I need to decoct for these styles?
Geez, are you trying to start a fight? 😂 I am joking, of course. If you ask do you "need" to decoct then I would say no. If you are not totally happy with the end result or just want to tinker then give it a try. I typically don't because to my palette it's not worth the extra effort. Your mileage may vary.

Is Melanoidin malt a requirement if you can't do a decoction?
Pretty much same as above. Some people do it as a stand-in for decoction. Personally, I think 100% pils with even just a standard single infusion and good process can make you a really fine beer.

Modify your process based on a balance of how much extra work it costs you, how much you enjoy that work, and how you feel about the end product. The easiest lever to pull is to just get German ingredients. You don't need them but they will help if you're chasing those specific flavors. Hochkurz would be an easy enough addition to the process once you figure out the best way for you to do it.

I've wondered about that for decoctions since I don't have a direct fired MLT. I've even wondered if I could drain the wort, heat it to the temp needed to bring the mash up to the next temp step, instead of heating the mash portions themselves. Good/Bad?
Decoction mashes are all about heating/boiling the thick part of the mash, leaving most of the wort in the mash tun/holding vessel where it's converting the mash at the current step temp. Then when you add the thick part back to the mash tun it raises the temp to the next conversion step. You can do that 2-3 times for more decoction character.

From what I gathered, using undermodified malt that doesn't convert so quickly (due to not containing an abundance of enzymes) would be advantageous for these processes. Some smaller maltsters produce them for that purpose.
I've had good (although arguably quite subtle) results doing decoctions and step mashes using regular modern malts.

I don't know what the goal is for that type of mash, but realize that modern malts don't require you to go to as much trouble as they once did. There is more consistency now than there was back then. And lab analysis to back them up.
That's definitely true that just about any modern malt he has is going to be fully modified unless he's specifically seeking out something that's undermodified. This mash regimen starts above the typical protein rest and, as far as I know, it isn't meant for an undermodified malt.

A single infusion is going to strike a balance somewhere right in between the optimal temperatures for beta amylase (~140-150F) and alpha amylase (~160-170F) and it works pretty well. My understanding here is that a hochkurz mash gives you a rest directly in the middle of the range for each enzyme and can improve the overall fermentability of the wort. That warmer rest is also going to extract other things from the malt like glycoproteins that can improve head retention and body. So I don't think any of it is trying to address a problem with the malt. It's just a different technique that aims to extract more from the malt. It's a way to get better attenuation but at the same time improve body and foam.

From what I gathered, using undermodified malt that doesn't convert so quickly (due to not containing an abundance of enzymes) would be advantageous for these processes.
I always thought undermodified malts were more directly defined by the Kolbach index. In my head it's higher protein and starch content that makes it undermodified. A decoction would help break down the malts and get those proteins to precipitate out of solution. That's also why you cook the thick malt part of the mash and not the thin wort where the enzymes are located. Cook all the enzymes and you're gonna have a bad day 😂 Maybe undermodified malt has lower enzyme content as well but I'm not totally sure about that part. I didn't think so but I am definitely not sure.

For a highly modified malt a decoction is still going to add some of the same flavors. I'm sure if you overdo it then I imagine it could probably do more harm than good for the mash but I don't know how much would be "overdoing" it. Hopefully somebody smarter can help. I think you're absolutely right that the effects, from a single decoction especially, are not going to be that large though.

This mash regimen starts above the typical protein rest and, as far as I know, it isn't meant for an undermodified malt.
I looked at it a little closer and I think I agree with you. This is one of the shorter things about it I read...
https://beerandbrewing.com/short-and-high-the-hochkurz-mash/And I'm guessing since I don't fully understand all things about mashing, that it might play into making the wort have a slightly higher dextrin content.

But I was struck by this comment in it which goes well with my overall desires for beer making....

Whether a more complex mash regimen is worth the extra effort is your call: The opportunity to select what works best for you is one of the great virtues of homebrewing. But the relative simplicity of the Hochkurz technique offers a chance to experiment with stepped mashes without committing to a triple decoction monster.

I generally like to keep things simple and it'll have to make a lot of difference in the taste between the same recipe with just a more normal 60 or so minute infusion.

@Miraculix Is Huch-Kurz just really splittling a single infusion mash to two different 30 min infusions?
Yes.

For the most part, I get Hoch-Kurz is mashing 'high/short'. So, how could this be applied to those who are propane based and still use a cooler? For reference, my rig has two burner for the boil and hlt, and my cooler (if it matters) has a stainless liner, I just can't direct fire it.

1 So, how could this be applied to cooler style mash tuns?
2 Does this conflict anyway with modern style mashing (30-40 min single infusions and 30 min boils)?
3) German term, so German only ingredients? (lame question, but lead in into....)

On another note, I ordered some Briess Pilsen malt. Can I....

4) still make good German style beers with American grains (pilsen, vienna, etc)?

Not to sound like "that guy", but the local store I go to had some Pilsner Urquell, which I have tried and never looked back (sipping on some now). This beer and Founder's All Day IPA are my two favs right now, so wonder if Hoch-Kurz could be (should be?) implemented if I were to try to clone these two beers.

Sorry for the questions. I saw this term in another thread and the (square) wheels in my head are turning.....

Good questions, all.

1) So, how could this be applied to cooler style mash tuns?

My Ans:
Not easily, but it can be done. Frankly, step mashing is what convinced me to go to the all-in-one machines about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, $$$$. I treated myself to a retirement toy to expand this hobby to a full time obsession. I never really tried step mashing in coolers though did do some BIAB attempts by pulling the bag after a first step, heating the wort and re-submerging the grain bag. Hard to accurately hit target temperatures though, so I abandoned the method. Since I never found a solid workable (for me) method, I'll leave it to others to chime in with recommendations.

2) Does this conflict anyway with modern style mashing (30-40 min single infusions and 30 min boils)?

My Ans: It's all about the enzymes (primarily Alpha and Beta amylase) and maximizing time spent at each enzyme's most active temperature for a sufficient amount of time, before increasing temperature of the mash to the next enzyme's most efficient temperature, without exceeding the desired temperature, which will degrade and even denature that enzyme and prevent it from doing it's task. A single-infusion mash selects a compromise temperature which will allow both Beta and Alpha amylase enzymes to accomplish their tasks, but doesn't fully achieve the maximum beneficial result of either enzyme. Single-infusion mashes are effective and certainly are fine with modern highly modified grains. Step mashing simply raises it to a higher level (by some opinions) by maximizing Beta (fermentability) and Alpha (mouthfeel), rather than only focusing on one parameter. The length of boil doesn't really come into play with the mash, but of course does affect the characteristics of the final wort that goes into the fermenter in ways that are generally separate from mashing techniques.

My Ans: Valid question, but 'no'. American grains offer the same characteristics and are affected in the same ways as German grains. In fact, many domestic grains are more highly modified and have higher diastatic power than Continental grains, meaning they can more easily and completely convert starches into sugars during mashing. So do German grains benefit more than domestic grains by step mashing? Traditionalists and many maltsters would say 'yes', but does this opinion rest on tradition instead of science? Probably a mix of both. Great beers are made with single infusion mashes. Some think step mashes make better beers. I fall in the latter grouping, probably because I have the ability to do them without going to extreme measures. Domestic or Continental grains, does it matter? I don't think the enzymes really care as long as they have sufficient environment (solubility and temperature) as well as time to accomplish their tasks.

My Ans: The difference is between "good" and "great", and I'll fall in line with the traditionalists here. If I'm brewing a German lager, I'm goin' with German grains. And German hops. Doesn't mean you can't make a really quaffable German beer with Briess grains and Yakima-grown hop varietals derived from German Nobles. Nevertheless, I'm going the extra mile with ingredients. But even if you go with domestic ingredients, I still feel you'll come out ahead by doing a step mash.

My Ans: Here I disagree mildly with the traditionalists. Using fresh, high quality ingredients coupled with a proper step mash can avoid the necessity of a detoction mash. Don't tell my German friends, however. I won't say it's superfluous or excessive because it's not. I just think that, for me, the extra work and the mess of detoction has diminishing return value. Most of my step mashed lagers are sufficiently malty for my tastes. If my grains are a bit past their prime or if a previous iteration of a recipe seemed a bit lacking in that area, I'll adjust with a tiny amount (2~4 oz, max. in a 7 gallon batch) of melanoidin malt to the grist, and that does the trick. I'm not lazy, I'm just work averse!

My Ans:
It's not needed but melanoidin can make a positive improvement in bringing malt flavors and aromas to an un-detocted mash. The hidden trick is not using too much. For my tastes a 2~4 oz addition is plenty to make an improvement in a 12# grist/7 gal. batch. Some people add more but that's too much for my palate. A little goes a long way IMHO. Use too much and it will overpower the finished beer.

Hope these answers (my 'opinions') helped to lift the fog a bit. And remember my mantra, "Others' opinions may differ, and that's alright, but the only dumb questions are the ones that go unasked!"

I looked at it a little closer and I think I agree with you. This is one of the shorter things about it I read...
Thanks for sharing! That's a pretty clear, straightforward overview. They mention the different ways to push around the mash temp too. It'll definitely be harder on some setups than others.

But I was struck by this comment in it which goes well with my overall desires for beer making....
I can't argue with that part at all. I've tried plenty of stuff that didn't seem to make a difference in my beer. This does and it's really simple on my system. So, for me, it's an easy win. It may very well not make a big enough difference for you to be worth the trouble. :mug:

I've done boiling water infusions to hit the steps for Miraculix's Best. There's math and calculators to help work out volumes. My first and only attempt was pretty successful, only a few degrees off my targets. I'm fairly accurate and repeatable with my volumes and such. I'm sure it would've required just one or two more batches to dial in. Still, not a complication I was interested in keeping up.

I'm interested in an AIO for two reasons. Set to strike temp the night before and step mashes.

I never really tried step mashing in coolers though did do some BIAB attempts by pulling the bag after a first step, heating the wort and re-submerging the grain bag. Hard to accurately hit target temperatures though, so I abandoned the method.
There are plenty of calculators that will tell you how much boiling water to add to your mash tun to get a specific increase in temperature.

Thank you all for the quick and very detailed replies! I may give this a go my next brew day. I'm thinking, maybe Brewfather can help me with the step mash temps on my next brew day. From what I've seen here and the other thread I commented on, I figure a good start would be 144F and 160F for the first two steps, then mash out at 170. Is that the common point in a Hockkurz mash?

Munich malt doesn't have the diastic power like pilsner or 2row, so does that type of mash benefit if you were doing a Munich smash?

Thank you all for the quick and very detailed replies! I may give this a go my next brew day. I'm thinking, maybe Brewfather can help me with the step mash temps on my next brew day. From what I've seen here and the other thread I commented on, I figure a good start would be 144F and 160F for the first two steps, then mash out at 170. Is that the common point in a Hockkurz mash?

Munich malt doesn't have the diastic power like pilsner or 2row, so does that type of mash benefit if you were doing a Munich smash?
Google "brewers friend Mash Infusion calculator", it works really well.

Actually Munich (not CaraMunich) is a base malt and has sufficient diastatic power to self-convert, so absolutely no problems with either a step mash or single temperature infusion. For step mashing I think 144F is perfect for Beta rest, but tend to go a bit lower, say 158F for Alpha.

Commonly cited optimum temperatures are 130F-150F for Beta amylase and 155F-162F for Alpha, however both enzymes are still active outside those ranges to limited extents. 144F is near mid-range for Beta and 158F is near mid-range for Alpha, though slightly above median for each. Beta is pretty much denatured by the high 160Fs, for Alpha it drops off steeply after the high 170Fs. For both enzymes, activity is reduced significantly outside the optimum temperature ranges.

Some general rules of thumb are: for more fermentable, mash lower (or longer) in the optimum Beta range. For greater body and mouthfeel, mash higher (or longer) in the Alpha optimum range.

Since Beta is near optimum at my dough-in temperature, I am getting Beta conversion the entire time I'm mashing in. At the opposite end, since Alpha is still near its optimum temperature range at mash out I'm still getting body building conversion even as Beta amylase is being denatured at 169F. Some references show Alpha amylase is not fully denatured until 212F, though activity drops off quickly above 170F.

For my purposes, 144F/158F rests work very well although I sometimes tweak them a few degrees either way to manipulate fermentable and body. YMMV.

I'm returning to brewing after a long hiatus. I used to do German decoctions, but as I started out with single-infusion British ales, I'd like to start with an ale this time around. Does anyone know where to find Weyermann's step-infusion recipes? They had different recipes for different grains, I believe. They used to be on their website but I don't see them anymore.
Thank you.

I'm returning to brewing after a long hiatus. I used to do German decoctions, but as I started out with single-infusion British ales, I'd like to start with an ale this time around. Does anyone know where to find Weyermann's step-infusion recipes? They had different recipes for different grains, I believe. They used to be on their website but I don't see them anymore.
Thank you.

Pilot Brewery – Weyermann® Spezialmalze

Click on a beer and there is a link to a pdf on each individual beer page.

e.g., https://www.weyermann.de/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/7_RyePA_ene.pdf

Hoch kurz means that you do two shortly timed steps, usually each about 30 minutes long. The first one will be at 62c for beta amylase to get going and the second will be at 72 to gelatinise the remaining starch and to enable alpha amylase to chop down the remaining dextrins that the beta did not get at 62c.
so its been alluded to here and there but not really talked about in more detail- is hochkurz "worth it" for beers that would be more in the medium body range? if i wanted more body, is it something that's easily achievable or better off just doing a regular infusion?

i've started using it on mashes recently and been very happy with results, however those have all been lagers and summer ales. definitely worth it in those cases. but for the more medium-body stuff i guess i cant see a clear indication....

so its been alluded to here and there but not really talked about in more detail- is hochkurz "worth it" for beers that would be more in the medium body range? if i wanted more body, is it something that's easily achievable or better off just doing a regular infusion?

i've started using it on mashes recently and been very happy with results, however those have all been lagers and summer ales. definitely worth it in those cases. but for the more medium-body stuff i guess i cant see a clear indication....
Probably not necessary there. Hochkurz is designed to lower fg and to increase the amount of sugar that you get out of the grain.

Back