What is a good score for a contest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiescins

Reaction score
I've seen the scale (below), but want to know what typical scores are. We just started brewing in March of 2010 and would like to understand how we did in this years AHA contest.

45-50 = Outstanding
38-44 = Excellent
30-37 = Very Good
21-29 = Good
14-20 = Fair
0-13 = Problematic

You have the information right there for the breakdown of scores and it's pretty self explanatory. If you are asking what an "average" score is, it's really subjective since every beer is different. If you are looking for a score to consider a goal, go for 35+.

You have the information right there for the breakdown of scores and it's pretty self explanatory. If you are asking what an "average" score is, it's really subjective since every beer is different. If you are looking for a score to consider a goal, go for 35+.

I agree. When i submit a beer, if it's < 28 I feel that I probably did something wrong, and if it's > 36 I feel that it's a special beer. In-between I feel like I don't have a champion beer but I won't be embarrassed to brew it again and share with friends.

I want to score higher than 30. I always try to brew a 50, even if I'm not entering a competition!

I'm less worried about the score as much as I'm interested in the good, thorough, constructive criticism of experienced tasters. I want to improve. Criticism helps!

Thanks for the info everyone. Just wanted to ground myself with the scoring system as I have never recieved a score before and had nothing to compare it to. Likewise, I haven't seen anything about the others beers in category, so I was completely blind.

as you would imagine, most people score from 25-35... generally speaking. I don't know if there's some sort of bell curve or not.

Back