What in the Heck is Going on with my Harvest? (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCCOLA

Reaction score
This is Wyeast 2124, second harvest (gen 3)from repitched yeast. I've harvested for years and never seen this happen.

The batch of beer is a very clean German Pils, Harvest was 8 days ago stored in the fridge at 36F. Both jars of harvested yeast developed this head between day 7 and 8 overnight and had serious pressure. I loosened the lids after finding this monstrosity.

The head is very dense at the top--like a marshmallow.

The only thing odd about the harvest was that it had some foam hanging around the top of the liquid after everything settled.

I definitely will not use it. Just curious if anyone has seen anything like this before.

drVQ8Qa.jpg

MFclR2A.jpg

I harvest my yeast from the starter vessel before pitching... But I have noticed that the pressure tends to build up in the jar. Maybe there are some remaining fermentables in the liquid?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had a similar experience with Wyeast Munich Lager 2308. was unable to control my temps and the stress must have slowed the fermentation considerably to the point that i thought primary was finished. harvested and noticed a similar thick krausen with the harvested yeast. any action from the conditioning beer the yeast produced?

Back