What if I need to secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealrsr

Reaction score
Not trying to start a debate of a done topic. John and Jamil's opinions are definative enough for me. However, I primary in a 7 gallon plastic bucket to hopefully prevent blowouts and rarely need a blow-off which works well for me and the boss. My carboys are 2x 5 gal. and one 3 gal. so I am not dropping a 5 gallon volume primary in them for the above reason. At the same time plastic, even food grade, will leach over time so I really do not like the idea of 4-6 weeks in a plastic bucket. I try to limit petroleum based product exposure in everything I consume, very difficult but a personal choice. Therefore it makes sense for me, at least at this point, to do a secondary in the glass. I also do it as soon as the krausen falls to get if off the plastic as soon as possible. A couple times this backfired as the transfer jump started the process again and it grew fouling the airlock but not yet blowing out(knock on wood).

I know there is nothing wrong with doing a secondary, but not necessary or some would say inadvisable. Still, I have my reason. If someone can give me a better idea I am all ears. (Other than running out to but 6.5 carboys, that money is better spent on recipes.) Thanks!

You made a sound argument of why this works for you. What about splitting between two carboys. put a majority in the 5 gallon, and then do something odd for the 3 gal. dry hopping, adding fruit, souring?

Why not just put it in bottles? I see no advantage to letting beer sit in the fermenter for weeks and weeks. When the ferment is done and the yeast has flocculated, put it in bottles (or a keg if you've got that)

JV, good idea. Unfortunately I have a cyser in the 3 gallon that is taking FOREVER! Better part of 3 weeks and it is still bubbling away, never seen anything like it. I am also a little concerned with all that head space for nasties but don't have the equipment for a 6 plus boil.

Maida, I have racked to a corny for "secondary", I guess I just like to watch it through the glass more than sealing, purging and praying. Stupid? Yes, but this for fun. When I did bottle exclusively and rushed this or that batch into them I thought I noticed variations among them. Probably just me but you get something stuck in your head and hard to get past.

Thank you both very much, good ideas to ponder.

Latest posts

Back