What I have learn from 4 months of making beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martijacpbs

Reaction score
I have a little time making mi own beer, some of the advises in this forum has helped me a lot!! When we start home brewing, mistakes can be discouraging.

I have learned from all those mistakes, from the consistence of the beer to the taste. Let me talk about the one that that taught me the more.

We are practically cookers, and cooking is a activity that deserves our attention. Not controlling the fermentation temperature can make the whole process ruin.

Fervent sanitation is really importan but we also should have in mind fermentation-temperature control as one of the most important variables in home brewing. Yeast likes to work within a certain temperature range (we need to know what that range for our yeast packet).

For example, typical American ale yeasts are between 68 and 73 degrees Fahrenheit. Chris Cohen, my new favorite Cicerone & Beer Consultant said "Fermenting at higher-than-recommended temperatures will typically cause the yeast to create more esters, leading to fruity aromas and flavors that may not be appropriate,".

Also, we have to keep in mind that: The temperature should stay at an even level for the duration of the fermentation. he says that "If the temp drops during fermentation, the yeast will stop working and you'll be left with a very sweet and unpleasant brew. It is recommended to wrapping our fermenter in a blanket and placing it in a dark closet in the center of our house or apartment to avoid temperature swings.

Do you have other advises? Thanks to all :)

I think the advises I would give is to keep reading this site, there's lots of great info to be found here. If you have a problem it's a good bet someone had the same problem and made a post on here somewhere.

Advise? Sure!

1. Sanitation
2. Sanitation
3. Sanitation!
4. Passion, keep at it and keep learning. Failures will happen, but learn from them to get better!

Glad you have jumped into the process head first. Yeast are what need the most love and care, but don't neglect ingredients or recipe building.

Sanitation goes without saying!

Investing $100 or so in a fermentation chamber is priceless. You can precisely control the temperature according to your current recipe's needs (to include lagering).

Sanitation of course.

Plenty of note taking during the whole process (brew to bottle/keg conditioning) also helps point out where mistakes were made.

Patience, the longer the you let the brew sit (minimum 3 weeks primary), the better quality of beer you will produce.

Back