What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking a dry irish stout I kegged yesterday. It's a little undercarbed but oh so yummy. Lots of coffee and bittersweet chocolate.

I'll be pulling the dry hops (3oz Citra... I guess they'll be wet by then, though) from my IPA and then cold crashing both my ESB and the IPA tonight. The day cannot end fast enough.

I was racking an IPA last week that was dry hopped with galaxy and after opening my eyes after a clamped sneeze I saw a plug of green run through the hose. Unfortunately this was while I was trying to get that last little bit of beer and my hand shook during the sneeze. It didn't look like much at the time, but last night took the first pour and the disconnects plugged up immediately. Depressurized, cleaned the poppets, gas, pour, plugged again. After three times I left the poppets out of the disconnects and after three beers still got hop. It didn't look like much at the time of the accident.

Beer tastes great, but has clumps of green in the bottom of the glass. It'll clear before kicked for sure, but PITA! Also left a note to self beside disconnects not to remove unless zero PSI. That would be a hell of a geyser! I was thinking maybe doing a Randell as a filter possibly. I'll have to see what whole hops are available that go with Galaxy.

I guess I'm calling this one Allergy IPA.

Hazelnut Brown is good not great (yet). Blackberry wheat is a bit boozy and I'm worried I got greedy and put too much trub in the keg but all that said its it only 3 weeks old. Not ready to dump it yet so there is that at least.

Worked through all the numbers for a Nothern Altbier I'll do next weekend and then did step one for the starter. Later on I'll swing by Northern Brewer and grab the ingredients.

Done some research at a British themed pub with cask ale. Had six different beers and none were impressive, they seemed weak in most ways from Flavor to the hops. I don't know how much of it was the cask and how much was the recipes. Still it was a good day!:mug:

I added another line/faucet to my beer fridge since I kegged my Fuggles IPA. This is the first time I've had an abundance of beer and cider. Since the Fall is always super busy for me, I made a commitment this summer to brew several batches so I would have a true pipeline. I'm going to have to make major mods to squeeze another keg or two in the fridge. I also have a small upright freezer that I use for bottles, so I may be bottling my WLP-300 Cider (probably will bottle anyway because I want to back sweeten with apple juice) when it's ready as well as my Oatmeal Stout and Irish Red once I brew them.

Picked up 7 ball lock kegs on Craig's List for $225... pretty good deal... Hope they all hold a seal. A couple could use new post and one needs o-rings on the post.

kegged up a cider in the AM, then shared my blonde, marzen & WIPA with family & friends in the evening.

Kickass. I love those barrels but man they are pricey!

Its worth if you consider the price you'd pay for 150 12oz barrel aged beers at $5+ each. I figure it pays for itself after the first use. FWIW though, I didnt buy these myself. One was a gift and showed up damaged so they sent me another one. :D

Its worth if you consider the price you'd pay for 150 12oz barrel aged beers at $5+ each. I figure it pays for itself after the first use. FWIW though, I didnt buy these myself. One was a gift and showed up damaged so they sent me another one. :D

How many brews do you think you'll get from teh barrel? I feel like i've read only a couple uses?

How many brews do you think you'll get from teh barrel? I feel like i've read only a couple uses?

Only a couple uses would be referring to the big whiskey/oak flavor in the beer I assume? It will go "neutral" after a few beers have been put through it. I plan to get 2-3 clean beers through it before I sour it. RIS is first obviously, then a quad, and hoping to do a saison as well but it just depends on how the barrel is tasting at that point. Once I sour it I cant imagine it would last any less than 5-10 years if I take care of it.

Only a couple uses would be referring to the big whiskey/oak flavor in the beer I assume? It will go "neutral" after a few beers have been put through it. I plan to get 2-3 clean beers through it before I sour it. RIS is first obviously, then a quad, and hoping to do a saison as well but it just depends on how the barrel is tasting at that point. Once I sour it I cant imagine it would last any less than 5-10 years if I take care of it.

Yeah, that. I like sour beer just as much as the next guy, but I don't know if I want to make any anytime soon.

But I suppose 3 beers through it, and maybe a 4th sour, would be a good use of your dollars.

I suppose I could always cut up the barrel and smoke meat with it too! :D

I suppose I could always cut up the barrel and smoke meat with it too! :D

Im pretty sure that's a sin if you brew beer. :D

I imagine I will get about ten beers out of each barrel. 3 clean beers and then 6-7 sours before the lactic acid bacteria start taking over hard core. Even 5-6 beers would be great considering how much time they take.

Hooked up my second keg/tap last night. I should have done it on Sunday but I was critically short two hose clamps. Everything is carbing up, now and my initial pour last night let me know that my hose lengths are correct and I have no leaks.

Kegged my ESB...named it J+H ESB...after the two people who bought me a gift certificate to purchase the ingredients! :rockin: :mug:

Not knocking it. I've never been in this hobby to save money and I'm sure I'll be picking up a barrel eventually. I like that whiskey barrels are smaller.... and taste like whisky [emoji16]. What are they, 15 gallons?

Back