What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a 6 gal AG batch of Edmund Fitzgerald Porter w/ my daughter.
We started early (6:30) to beat the heat (97°) & finished, cleanup & all by a little after Noon.

Just ordered a new 2L flask... Mine shattered yesterday when it went from hot to cold.... I thought it was a bit more robust than that... Oh well!

I got some new-to-Wisconsin Toppling Goliath.

They had Pseudo Sue, which I know is a new "it" beer, but I've had plenty of all-Citra beers, including my own, so I opted for the Golden Nugget. How's THAT for a "You know you're a homebrewer when ..." kind of comment?

Bought an aquarium heater at PetsMart to put some love-heat on my Saison in the swamp coole...thing.

Its been a while since my last brew day and i never really put effort into dialing in my system just been kinda sloppy aside from sanitation im on point when it comes to that. But anyways im doing a sort of dry run brewday thing to get my mashtub dead space and my boil off rate figured out prepping for sundays much awaited brew day cheers!!!!

Its been a while since my last brew day and i never really put effort into dialing in my system just been kinda sloppy aside from sanitation im on point when it comes to that. But anyways im doing a sort of dry run brewday thing to get my mashtub dead space and my boil off rate figured out prepping for sundays much awaited brew day cheers!!!!

those are some long & rambling two sentences!

Oxycleaned a keg, sanitized a keg, then filled one. Unplugged my kegerator, filled one keg with strawberry blonde, and packed 4 full kegs in the car. Also bought a few commercial beers. Busy day.

accidentally kicked two kegs!! Okay I was trying to finish one of them (skeeter pee) but my wife was apparently trying her best to finish off the cider, and she had the required determination... thankfully I've always got a safety keg ready to drink, but my next cider won't be kegged for a couple weeks... I'm going to have to start overlapping batches instead of back to backing them; that lady can drink

Planned the third of my next three brew days. I find that as I keep more ingredients on hand I can plan the next couple of months brew days ahead of time. It keeps my pipeline full and assures I have 3-4 house beers on hand at all times.

Brewed a dark beer. Was quite pleased with myself... 5 hours start to finish. And finished means everything out away. After temp correction I find I missed the lower end of the expected OG by .003, I can live with that.

I got my wife & sons outside to do some serious clearing of the two gardens out front. After a couple hours of that, I think I've earned a few home brews & vodka before bbq'ing some Hungarian sausages.

Brewed some kinda coopers ale hybrid beer thing using coopers real ale hopped lme, 1lb light dme, 1lb dextrose, and 1oz cascade for 10min. Should be interesting in a couple months. Also get to use my ferm chamber for the first time :)

Busy couple days:
Last night: Bottled a batch of Brett saison, then racked the base for a Kriek to secondary and added some bugs from another sour I have going

Today: Had to make some room in that sour for the peaches that just went in:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438466497.964184.jpg

Also bottled a 100% wheat, 100% Brett beer

And finally, just found out that two of the three beers I submitted to the NJ state fair placed! 2nd for my Mild and 3rd for my Berliner!

Created my next recipe a very nice ESB with fuggles and Wilamette hops! Also, had a few pints of my Orange American Wheat and planned on how to get some of it down to jersey in a few weeks for a family bbq!

Well, after 11 years of brewing with gravity today I set up a pump system. All leak tested and ready to be broken in tomorrow, brewing a stout. Pump cart doubles as my mobile RO water filter as well, which is mounted to the other side.

Parts
pumpparts.jpg

Old Setup
pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

pump3.jpg

New setup
pump4.jpg

pump5.jpg

pump6.jpg

pump7.jpg

pump8.jpg

I brewed a dry irish stout that I had brewed a couple batches ago. The other one turned out so good that I had to brew it again.

Nailed my temps and gravity readings...didn't do that in the previous batch...I hope it's not too different.

Brewed my take on Reno Envy's Punkin Ale this morning. I used MO instead of 2-Row, brewed a 5.75-gallon batch, and adjusted hops accordingly.

I'm also giving my Half Nelson IPA the respect it deserves by drinking it liberally. This is an awesome beer: :mug:

Today I made my new mash tun - 52 quart Igloo conversion. Then I went to the LHBS and grabbed the ingredients for the bext batch, a Strong Scotch Ale.

Yesterday i:

Brewed my 'xbeeriment' sour.
Bottled my brown ale.
Dry hopped my ipa, while racking a gallon to put over peaches (and then of couse, dry hop).

I was busy.

Made an inquiry with my lhbs about having a chiller made with a five inch coil height

Sold 2 computers and a cable modem for homebrew money, selling a weight bench tomorrow. Gonna get me a keg, 5lb co2 tank, and regulator later this week with the profits.

Went to the HBS, bought ingredients for a simple ESB, a new air lock, carboy thermometer and some other odds and ends. Made my starter with Wyeast 1968 And brew day tomorrow!

Dry-hopped a 2.5G keg of Mosaic Pale with some Citra... because I can.

Today I realized I am short on hops for this weekends brewing. Going to the LHBS tomorrow

Back