What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently drove from Guatemala City to El Tunco, El Salvador for beer. Brew Revolution and Hotel Mopelia there are some of few places in Central America where you can get real beer.

On our way down to Panama and am transporting a liter of my recent Pilsener to a friend there - hope it travels ok.

I just got done reading all 30+ pages of a WLP 644 thread so I can decide on what to do when I buy said WLP 644... Which I think I am gonna go with pils malt base, some C10, some wheat, some oats. Make a starter, and pitch in primary unaerated.

Just brewed a batch of pale ale tonight after bottling 5 gallons of porter last night. Took liberty to doctor the kit to my taste this time. We shall see how that decision works.

Rode 25 miles on my bicycle so I can enjoy a couple darker beers quilt free.:mug:

You had to ride your bike 25 miles to find someplace warm?

It's not for beer, but I'm cooking 6 different grains for some rice wine experiments.

I'm a little late on my post (it was yesterday) but I mixed up some must and started my first ever batch of mead. Fermentation was visible after about 6 hours.

2013-03-10_14-06-02_792.jpg

Checked the status of my order from Midwest this morning. Does that count? I also printed out some more recipes for a friend of mine that's interested in home brewing (I've invited him to my next brew day).

Finally started my Berliner Weisse for nationals. It'a ready to drink in 7 days, but I might be cutting it a little close for strawberry rhubarb half of bath

Hit my 1.079 Black IPA with another dose of pure O2 at 15 hours after pitch. There was a faint krausen forming already (not bad since my starter didn't work out & I had to pitch straight from a rinsed batch...grrr) but I wanted to give those yeast cells an extra taste to get 'em healthy and hungry!

Picked up grains, spices and hops, and extra bottle caps for a batch of Saison I'm doing next weekend. Also ordered a 5 Gal kegging system and got a great deal thanks to a special offer code from @homebrewfinds.

Kegged 5 gallons of milk stout, and cleaned an a$$ load of equipment for a double brew day on Saturday (blonde ale, and honey brown ale, both AG). Also did some shopping around for a grain mill (still undecided), and a new 60qt brew pot. I'll probably pull the trigger on those Friday, if I can decide on what I want.

Go with the barley crusher with the larger hopper for the price it's hard to beat and will last ages

Channel66 said:
Go with the barley crusher with the larger hopper for the price it's hard to beat and will last ages

I decided on a Schmilding adjustable mill. My LHBS has them in stock, and everyone that I've asked gives them great reviews. Headed to pick mine up either Wednesday, or Thursday.

I decided on a Schmilding adjustable mill. My LHBS has them in stock, and everyone that I've asked gives them great reviews. Headed to pick mine up either Wednesday, or Thursday.

They are nice! Just figured it would be between the monster and the crusher, seems most all places only carry the two and a corona DIY option around here. Enjoy the crush!

Saturday, I drove 150 miles to pick up 486 lbs of grain from a group buy.
Today I got my bargainfittings in and had the guys in my shop weld in my coupling for my ball valve and pick up tube on my keggle.

Yesterday Bottled a batch of Drunken Emu, and a batch of Pedrohearts' beer time capsule. Took every 12oz bottle that I had empty plus a few bombers. Cleaned both of my primary fermenters, Then sat down with a beer from the Keg. Searched the Craigslist again trying to find something sutible to turn into a kegarator that will look good in the house.:mug: Cheers!

Sat with the lid of my chest freezer fermentation open for a little while and watched the wheat beer blowoff tube bubble away :) So soothing!

It is a different beer recipe for me, I have something question out in my mind as of now, did I ruin my beer? I used several sources as part of my dealing with fermentation and we have basically they same problem. One thing I notice I missed dropped something into wort while it was fermenting. However, does it smell like a dead hooker in a trunk of a car left in the summer heat?

It is a different beer recipe for me, I have something question out in my mind as of now, did I ruin my beer? I used several sources as part of my dealing with fermentation and we have basically they same problem. One thing I notice I missed dropped something into wort while it was fermenting. However, does it smell like a dead hooker in a trunk of a car left in the summer heat?

?

Made the first beer ever with my own tap water. A centennial and chinook pale ale. Everything worked well....except that I am still relying on my own water calculations while I dial in my beer smith calcs. My calculations worked before, but I used the wrong grain absorption factor and came up .5 gallons short. Wound up with an OG of 1.062 instead of 1.054. Wish I had extra water on hand, but figured it would be too much of a pain and I haven't brewed a pale ale on the sweeter side so thought it might be interesting. I'm more concerned about the how the tap water works in my beeer. The sample tasted good....pretty sweet, but I'll be interested to see what its like after fermentation. Will dry hop with centennial and a little chinook as well. Already back to the drawing board for the next batch. I'm trying to let the water issue go, but every 5 minutes I'm shaking my fists at the beer gods. Hopefully they made me mess up on purpose!

opened the lid of my ferm chamber and my eyes watered at the co2 coming out. have a 5g and a 6.5 g fermenter of cream of 3 crops in there

Enjoyed a homebrewed saison with some homemade chili. Said my condolences as I kicked my keg of Galaxy Pale Ale V2. Convenient timing, as GPA V3 is ready to replace it!

Bottled 6 gal of Kolsch and racked 5 gal of Spotted Cow clone
to secondary.I also cut scraped and soaked the vanilla beans
in rum for my Chocolate porter to be racked in a few days.

Cheers

Brewed 2.5 gal of AG Graf, mainly to get the 2-1 gal carboys the AJ came in.

Planning to bulk age some future batches in those.

I came up with a formula to convert the old color code EBC to the new SRM. The only formula available,even on beersmith's site was for converting SRM to EBC. I wondered WTF?,since Cooper's still lists color as EBC. So the formula I gave on beersmiths site is EBC/1.97=SRM. The formula (EBC/1.97) x 1.97 proves that the answer in the first formula is accurate,since it converts SRM back to EBC actual number.
At least I could then input the right SRM into beersmith for the "add grain" function to list the Cooper's Heritage Lager can to the list as an extract. BS2 lists grains,wet or dry extracts,sugars,& all fermentables under the grains heading.
It proved positive when I changed the listing,as well as in the recipe using it when the pic of the beer's color in the glass changed too. It very accurately depicts the color of the current brew using those ingredients. Even though I raised a couple of them just a bit. At least it's more accurate now.

I had my first sample of my Honey Cream Ale which has been 2 weeks in the bottle. I always sample one at 2 weeks and as usual, it needs another week. I was surprised how nice and carbed it was, but the flavors need to mature a bit. It's gonna be good and SWMBO already loves it. Always a good thing.

I emptied my keg of the last of my winter lager into a glass, and consumed. This frees up my keg for the Ruination IPA clone in my carboy, dry hopped now for 10 days. This weekend it goes in.

Made a wish list on Morebeer.com for some various supplies and ingredients for my wife to order for my birthday...

Picked up a few things at NB. Came home, bottled some MW Liberty Cream Ale and brewed NB Speckled Heifer while drinking MW Hop Scare and Irish Red.

Back