What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find a local brewer that uses peroxy-acetic acid. Believe his warnings and follow his instructions. We used that between brews with different strains and had no issues. That stuff is deadly.

I was going to use boiling water and a very diluted bleach and week long rinses, hopefully thatll kick it without imparting any flavors

Installed an Everpure water filter last night to filter out chloramines.
Making a starter for bock yeast tonight.
Installing A/C in the lager chamber tomorrow night.

Bottled my hefe, picked up some ingredients for brewing next week's sweet stout, got a new bottling wand (lost the old one) and a glass cylinder for hydrometer readings (tired of plastic).

Stripped labels in preparation for bottling my oatmeal stout tomorrow or Friday. Also found out that Ziploc Vacuum bags are s---. Maybe I'll go tomorrow and price a proper vacuum sealer.

Decided that the day isn't over yet. De-labeling 3 cases of bottles. Every time I think I have too many bottles, I run out and have to de-label more. (Kegging wouldn't help this, as I would just end up purchasing more and more kegs :p)

Put together a water filter so i can ise the tap at the house. Put fittings on both my chillers so i use the together. Tap/water bath>prechiller>chiller.

I also improved my manifold for my mash tun and bump up my ball vavle to a half inch.

Bought $80 worth of grain, specialty grain, hops, and adjuncts.

Took 2 week samples from the secondary for the vanilla porter and bourbon vanilla porter. Delicious.

About 50% finished with my wooden BIAB brew stand, which I plan on inaugurating on Friday.

Prepped my starter for Friday's cranberry holiday ale.

Ordered several beer kits. Some other beer related stuff. Looking forward to October now

Spent about $90 at the LHBS - ingredients for my Pumpkin Ale brew this weekend, some Star-San, and 2 cases of bottles.

Picked up grain for my haus pale ale at rebel Brewer, and some yeast nutrient. My blichman burner should arrive tomorrow

Picked up a turkey fryer to move my brewhaus outdoors and removed the safety timer :rockin:. Can't wait to break it in when the wife goes out of town next weekend. Now I just need a 2nd propane tank so I can brew and run my smoker at the same time.

OClairBrew said:
Picked up a turkey fryer to move my brewhaus outdoors and removed the safety timer :rockin:. Can't wait to break it in when the wife goes out of town next weekend. Now I just need a 2nd propane tank so I can brew and run my smoker at the same time.

You'll need that second tank for sure and a third one too. Ran out of propane during my last brew day. Goo luck man.

Decided to brew a pumpkin ale this weekend instead of a 2-row/Cascade SMaSH. Same recipe as the SMaSH, but with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Very excited for this. Should be ready around the same time the pumpkin lager is ready. That way I'll have twice the pumpkin homebrew than I originally planned on.

just kegged my black wheat. Racked it in, set it 30 psi and put it all in the kegerator to chill. The next 3 days cant go by fast enough.

Enjoyed a beer and cheese pairing from 10 till noon featuring an alehouse cheddar, humbolt soft rind cheese layered with vegetable ash, an award winning Brie, and the #1 rated bleu cheese of the year. Then later went to a 5 course beer dinner featuring Sierra Nevada that included ingredients specially sent by Sierra Nevada themselves to be infused into each dish. Including IPA flatbread, IPA butter, hop salt, Brux salad dressing over IPA steamed mussels, and raspberry lambic glaze over chocolate cake. Each course paired with one or more of SN's brews. All topped off by drinking a 2008 SN Bigfoot barley wine.
Here's the menu.....

image-1079476365.jpg

Enjoyed a beer and cheese pairing from 10 till noon featuring an alehouse cheddar, humbolt soft rind cheese layered with vegetable ash, an award winning Brie, and the #1 rated bleu cheese of the year. Then later went to a 5 course beer dinner featuring Sierra Nevada that included ingredients specially sent by Sierra Nevada themselves to be infused into each dish. Including IPA flatbread, IPA butter, hop salt, Brux salad dressing over IPA steamed mussels, and raspberry lambic glaze over chocolate cake. Each course paired with one or more of SN's brews. All topped off by drinking a 2008 SN Bigfoot barley wine.
Here's the menu.....

Jealous! I have a 2007 Bigfoot that my friend gave me last time I visited home. I am waiting for the next time I see him to crack it and enjoy it together.

nukebrewer said:
Jealous! I have a 2007 Bigfoot that my friend gave me last time I visited home. I am waiting for the next time I see him to crack it and enjoy it together.

Words hardly describe how incredible it is. I can still taste the long raisin like finish.

Recovering from drinking homebrew last night. Yesterday my blichman burner arrived and I put it together and tested it. Works amazing. Brewing a pale ale tomorrow and im kegging an amber that has been conditioning. Ill most likely also clean and de-label some bottles. Busy weekend

nukebrewer said:

Huh, I have one from 07, never thought about drinking it.

checked gravity on a 3711 saison. 1.064-1.006 in two weeks (7.6%). Primary sample was smooth as a baby's bum. Cold crashing for 2 days before transferring to a secondary for a 3oz. Cascade dry hop.

I moved my lastest batch into the refridgerator. Harvested a bottle or 2 from a friend and bought a few dimpled beer mugs.....Can't wait to use 2 of the 3 :)

Called in on my day off to transfer Porter to a bright tank for serving, never runs out on schedule allowing me an actual weekend off :mad:

Ran into town in the skiff (no roads here, water access only) today to provision, part of today's haul was ingredients for 10 gallons of brew and a some beer to tide me over until I had more homebrew.

Countless times I have reminded guests aboard my boat to keep their hands and feet inside the boat when near the dock. And I am usually very conscious of this myself, but we had a crisis today.

The return trip from town was a bit rough, and when we tied up at the dock, I noticed a bit of yellowish liquid in the bilge -- OH **** THE BEER! I rushed forward, it was still a bit rough out, so.... I put my hand on the gunnel to steady myself (oops)....a wave caught the skiff and shoved it into the dock, but instead of the solid thunk of fiberglass against wood...I instead heard the gristly crunch of my finger!

Good news though, only a few cans were damaged.

Beer Injury SDC12041.jpg

Latest posts

Back