What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked shipment tracking and anticipated tomorrows big delivery. Plumbing and screen for the keggle I made this week and ingredients for my next 4 brews

Brewed Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cerveza clone also a Punk IPA clone and bought all this today. I

ForumRunner_20120824_193403.jpg

I skipped on the March pump though, to many scoots.

I got my son of fermentation chiller almost completely assembled. Just have a few more things, some dowl rods, the thermal probe and testing.

Did a complete cleaning on my brewhouse. Got all my camlocks put on. Found one to be super difficult to operate. Haven't screwed up too bad with SWMBO yet today, prepping for a 10 gallon brew next week.

Brewing a California Common at the moment. First time doing a FWH and eager for this one to be done so I can taste how it impacts the taste.

Ordered a Blichman burner yesterday, checked on my 2 batches fermenting away in the fermentation chamber. Then I got the ingredients gathered for my blonde ill be brewing tomorrow. Also tweaked the blondes recipe a little.

What I did yesterday: My brewing buddy and I each made 5.5 gallon Oktoberfest in a sort of competition brew. We drank home brew plus some dogfish head 60 min (yum).

What I did for beer today: I tolerated a headache for first couple hours ;)

Bought a bottle tree on the weekend.

Racked the Blu Moon to secondary this morning. It looks and tastes amazing.....

Racked my black lager (Midnight Sun Lager) to secondary. It was boiling under the midnight sun on the summer solstice and I plan on bottling mid-november for consumption under the noon-day moon on the winter solstice.

It's not as black as I wanted it, despite using 8 oz chocolate malt.. Beersmith gave me 30.7 SRM but I think I'm closer to 20ish...

Oh well, maybe next year.

Finally built my "Son of Fermentation Chiller." I used plans I found at http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF. I didn't use the thermostat and power supply they recommend. I already had a wired Ranco dual stage temp controller and a converted bench power supply (5vdc and 12vdc). The chamber and cut list came from the pdf.

Been testing it for the past couple of days and it works great for lager fermentation (48 degrees and up).

Studying up on laggering beer. I'm very impressed with the article I found on HBT.

Started planning my pumpkin ale recipe. Last year's didn't go well.

20120825_090353.jpg

Brewed a blonde as a start of a blueberry blonde today. Went really well. I can't wait for my new burner to get here. I ordered the blichman burner from rebel brewer. I also built a tier system for when I get said burner. I put a piece of metal on the top level cause I hear the new burner can scorch wood beneath it. Now I need to research casters for it.

ForumRunner_20120827_150531.jpg

Started a new brew journal, as the old one was too small for AG batches. Sure, I use Beer Smith on my netbook, but it's nice to have a personal, printed backup.

I also ordered a refractometer off Amazon for crazy cheap (thanks Homebrew Finds).

Tasted my kegs of IPA and Blonde ale im bringing to a brewfest this upcoming Saturday. Kegged my pumpkin ale and bottled about another gallon of it. Also racked my IPA over to start dry hopping.

Finished drinking my first batch of beer, and cleaned 20+ bottles getting them ready for my 3rd batch

Building a pipeline intended to blow some people's minds, as I've been brewing all the beer that will be available for my wedding coming up next month! Been nailing some great recipes (my own mostly :), getting good feedback and backing up my kegs. We made it official today!
We're young but old-school and still believe in old ways of doing things. Not a shred of doubt!! Cheers, Gang! Thanks HBT, you've helped me inspire my wife!! Prost!

Planned out my next six brews which will use up 55# of base malt. Foreign Export Stout, Dry Stout, Nut Brown, DIPA, APA, BSDA.

Unbottled 40+ bottles of my double IPA and transferred to a keg to finish carving. Bottled 4 weeks ago and still wasn't carbed and the hop aroma was fading. I added 3 more ounces of pellets in a muslin bag(Columbus, galena, and cascade)

I bottled a 5.5 gallon batch of a simple belgian dubbel. 50 - 12 oz. bottles and 2 - 22 oz. bottles. Woot!

Only 24 days after brew day and it is bottled!

Cleaned out kegs
Harvested yeast from a double batch of Porter
Started chilling a batch of Brown Ale
Drank a bit off the Oatmeal Bitter...purely for testing reasons of course
Prepped things for kegging and fermentor cleaning tomorrow

Bought a Ziploc vacuum sealer pump plus 15 quart sized bags and vacuum sealed my 6 lbs and some change worth of hops. One of the bags lost its seal, so I used another and haven't had any other problems thus far. We'll see how they're holding up tomorrow and I'll decide if I need to get a better vacuum sealer.

Drilled a new hole and mounted a new faucet in my upright fridge/kegerator making a total of 5 slots available now. Amazoned another faucet/shank assembly and it's in my cart, just gotta pull the trigger! Soaked tons of bottles, wine and beer, and peeled/scrapped/rubbed/scrubbed labels for future use. :)

moved my beer equipment from the basement to the garage to get ready for my upcoming move this weekend... during this i discovered almost everything is covered in a small layer of mold... damn dark/damp basement... its going to be awesome to have to rid everything of this problem

ArcticBear said:
moved my beer equipment from the basement to the garage to get ready for my upcoming move this weekend... during this i discovered almost everything is covered in a small layer of mold... damn dark/damp basement... its going to be awesome to have to rid everything of this problem

Find a local brewer that uses peroxy-acetic acid. Believe his warnings and follow his instructions. We used that between brews with different strains and had no issues. That stuff is deadly.

Made a Belgian Golden Strong last night. Wort color was "greener" than I was expecting, which has me worried, but I'll know more in what, three months?

Latest posts

Back