What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled up the Gonzo IPA, racked the Holiday Ale to secondary for orange peel and cinnamon and cleaned up the brewery

Finally cleaning up the brewery after bottling 2 days ago. Darn joint pain gets intense for a day or two after a brew/bottling day. This aging thing def works & is starting to suck. Gunna have to break out some rhumatiz meds later. :tank:

I smelled my barleywine. Its in secondary over oak chips. Smells so good!!!!!

----edit---- Forgot to add I did some lathe work today on my DIY roller mill. Got reminded real fast that I need to order some new tool bits like yesterday.

Brewed up a batch of citra wheat, dry hopped some Pliny and kegged a porter. I have to say it was a pretty productive day.

This weekend I moved a whole lot of brewing equipment around, cleaned and sanitized a few kegs, racked my wheat IPA to a keg and got it carbonating, and also cleaned out and refilled my bourbon barrel with my keeper solution.

I still need to clean & sanitize about a case or so of bottles so I can package my mead.

Saturday went to Lansing to pick up my mom's car and stopped at LHBS for some necessary items. Then stopped at EagleMonk brewing for a beer, and then The Hideout in GR for another.

Sunday I measured grain, prepped water, gathered stuff for brewing, but decided to do yard work in the afternoon while the weather was nice. Brewing some evening this week after work or maybe take a day off.

Chocolate porter again. I accidentally put the roasted barley in twice, so it might not taste the same as last time...

Replaced the o-rings on two of my kegs. Then proceeded to keg 10 gallons of my "Not Just a Strippers Name"(amber ale).

Today I checked to make sure my High Sierra Nevada was fermenting. I didnt open the lid to the fermenter, but the air lock was bubbling like crazy!

Finished the last of the cleanup from Saturday's double header brewday, drank a few homebrews, and swapped out some ice in my Cal Common swamp cooler. The cooler weather is making it really easy on me.

Got all my stuff ordered from BobbyM at Brewhardware.com to switch over to all grain! I'm totally pumped! Hopefully I'll have everything ready to go in the next few weeks. Had to tell someone lol.

I put more kerosene in the heater so my bottled pale stays nice & comphy. Then I ran some errands & bought more beer & vodka for after voting in half an hour or so. gotta pick up our son from work then head out to try & change out fates.:drunk:;)

Today was/is a busy day...VOTED! cleaned the whole house, and then it was time play!

bottled my Saison De Noel...used the Wyeast 3726, Primary at 85 degrees for 4 weeks and ended at 1.006! She's gonna be a beast!

Racked my Little Red Hen Graf to the secondary...fg 1.012, another big one!

Later tonight we will brew my Amarillo/Simcoe Pale Ale...finally a sessionable beer. ahhh yes, brew beer and watch the election results!

This morning I took the 3 day gravity reading on my high Sierra Nevada. it read 1.012 and tasted delicious.

Bottled a batch of apple pie ale. Kegged a batch of California commons. Finished my STC-1000 controller.

Today I brewed an batch black IPA. This is the first batch of beer i have brewed in years. I got sucked back into this hobby by a group of particularly unscrupulous members of a local home brew club I met at beer festival. These dastardly folks had absolutely zero sympathy for my brewing addiction and plied me with tales of the great beer they brewed last whenever. In the end I rooted around in storage and found the few pieces of brewing gear that I hadn't gotten rid of.( grain mill, 3 carboys, and a wort chiller) Stopped by the local homebrew supply store and grabbed a few little things like a hydrometer,airlocks,carboy brush, a bottling bucket and of course the ingredients for a black IPA. The owner was quite happy to see me. Once more into the breech dear friends........

River_Rat said:
Today I brewed an batch black IPA. This is the first batch of beer i have brewed in years. I got sucked back into this hobby by a group of particularly unscrupulous members of a local home brew club I met at beer festival. These dastardly folks had absolutely zero sympathy for my brewing addiction and plied me with tales of the great beer they brewed last whenever. In the end I rooted around in storage and found the few pieces of brewing gear that I hadn't gotten rid of.( grain mill, 3 carboys, and a wort chiller) Stopped by the local homebrew supply store and grabbed a few little things like a hydrometer,airlocks,carboy brush, a bottling bucket and of course the ingredients for a black IPA. The owner was quite happy to see me. Once more into the breech dear friends........

Welcome back! :mug:

Emptied the swamp of a cooler, i had going for 3 weeks. Man those things get nasty.

jperry said:
Emptied the swamp of a cooler, i had going for 3 weeks. Man those things get nasty.

Add the correct amount of Star San and you're good to go I can go two batches without having to empty it but I could probably go at least three batches without any nastiness.

Before I left for work yesterday, I checked on my pale ale going in the back room...the krausen was starting to seep out the top of my bubbler! So I put on a blow off tube and started what turned out to be a 16 hour work day. got home last night and checked on it again. That krausen had seeped all the way through the blow off and into the water.

I'm just glad I checked it before I left for work, or I may have had a huge mess to clean up after a REALLY LONG day at work.

gathered ingredients for my next 3 brews by buying bulk (well, actually my pregnant wife picked up the ingredients #kickass). force carbed my black ipa. oh, and dipped my balls into my 6 month old sour ale that is chilling under the house. :D

Kegged my third batch of Cream of Three Crops and washed the WLP080 to end up with 4 mason jars for future batches. Also, made a starter for the Sacc (1007) pitch of a Berliner Weisse that was inoculated with lacto yesterday. Gonna pitch the 1007 tomorrow

Polished off last of 5 gal batch of Upstate Mike's Apple Pie Cider. Immediately started another batch tonight on recovered yeast from WPGA.
Racked to 2ndary 3 gal batch of Huckleberry Wine - forgot to drain the mess from bottom of fermenter - just dumped it. Hope this does not become to thin.
Racked to 2ndary 5 gal batch of WPGA and cold crashing - very nice flavor and smell. Notty yeast used.
Cleaned and santized fermenters and brew pot. Hope to brew modified LH Milk Stout clone tomorrow; time permitting an Kolch ale.
Hoping to have all this kegged and aging to be ready for my 50th birthday in Jan. 2013
Sipping some Jim Beam Devil's Cut mixed with apple juice now watching Freddy Kruger.

Absolutely - I've been intentionally avoiding my laptop the last couple of days. I'll PM it to you tonight.

Tombraider2 said:
That -Bottled a batch of apple pie ale- sound interesting. Have a recipe ?

Bought a bowie bottler, bought an awesome flying dog tap handle on ebay, and brewed a punkin ale clone...low on volume, high on OG..but its going to be awesome anyways

Finished off another bottle of wine to add to my collection of empties. Getting ready to start a batch of mead and need lots of empty wine bottles.

Got everything together to brew my Kolsh ale tomorrow.

Back