What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chia said:
a few days ago i was lucky enough to get some free beer. i thought i would be smart and back into the garage so i would not have to carry several cases. I called and asked the wife to move her van so i could back up as close as possible. long story short, i put the truck in what i thought was park and jumped out to move the trash can out of her way. as i shut the door the damn thing went into reverse and started backing toward my neighbors car. in an effort to save the car i tried to get back in the truck, which lucky for me had locked its self since it was in gear. i fell and a after only damaging the front quarter panel and door of the neighbors rig, managed to stop the truck with my ankle. yes i fell and my ankle acted as a block on the tire. then my wife had to go inside, search for the extra keys and then unlock and drive the truck off me. after a visit to the ER and being placed in a cast and on crutches, i feel that i deserve a beer! but they gave me an antibiotic to reduce the chance of an infection so i cannot even do that! FML

Wow, talk about good luck gone bad.

Made a starter for an APA tomorrow. Will bottle my strawberry blonde either later tonight or tomorrow evening. Got some oak soaking in Laphroaig Quarter Cask for my oaky, peaty, scotch ale I'll brew sometime in the next few days assuming Sandy doesn't knock me out of power for a week (will keep soaking until add the oak in secondary after a 4 week primary).

Added the all-important third tap to my kegerator. It's time to carb the Punkin' ale but I'm not willing to take a keg out. :mug:

Picked up a freezer from craigslist today. Made a collar but didnt have a 1in. drill bit for the tap. I also wired up my TC-9102d temperature controller. I think I have a short but can't find it. It powered on but sounded like it blew something in my surge protector. I will have to fix it tomorrow.

image-1652015802.jpg

Woke up at the ridiculously early hour of 5am - hoping to brew my Russian Imperial Stout before "Frankenstorm" arrived. Unfortunately it started raining as soon as I went out to start heating my strike water. And with this huge grain bill I have to do two mashes so I will be at it for a while. The things we do for our beer!

image-1796268121.jpg

Chia said:
a few days ago i was lucky enough to get some free beer. i thought i would be smart and back into the garage so i would not have to carry several cases. I called and asked the wife to move her van so i could back up as close as possible. long story short, i put the truck in what i thought was park and jumped out to move the trash can out of her way. as i shut the door the damn thing went into reverse and started backing toward my neighbors car. in an effort to save the car i tried to get back in the truck, which lucky for me had locked its self since it was in gear. i fell and a after only damaging the front quarter panel and door of the neighbors rig, managed to stop the truck with my ankle. yes i fell and my ankle acted as a block on the tire. then my wife had to go inside, search for the extra keys and then unlock and drive the truck off me. after a visit to the ER and being placed in a cast and on crutches, i feel that i deserve a beer! but they gave me an antibiotic to reduce the chance of an infection so i cannot even do that! FML

I hate to sound like an ass but stuff like this is why I was taught to always put on the emergency brake before getting out of a vehicle. I hope you have a speedy recovery, and get to finally enjoy that beer!

Bottled my spanish cedar aged Blood orange IPA.

Folks swung by. Talked my dad into taking a liter of stout with him (He says he doesn't like stout and doesn't think homebrew can be any good). He said he would drink it tonight and actually seemed like he was looking forward to it. Here's to hoping he gets a taste for good beer and homebrewing!

That is what I did for beer today.

I hate to sound like an ass but stuff like this is why I was taught to always put on the emergency brake before getting out of a vehicle. I hope you have a speedy recovery, and get to finally enjoy that beer!

growing up White Trash, i had to borrow a car that had a working parking brake. lets just say i never was taught to use it...

I hate to sound like an ass but stuff like this is why I was taught to always put on the emergency brake before getting out of a vehicle.

Way back in highschool, I got to borrow my dads prized car for one day. I parked it in the HS parking lot and put the parking break on. Well... it failed and my dad's fancy ride (Yes. pontiac fieros were once pretty fancy to me) decided to roll across the parking lot and re-park itself into my friends old civic (thank goodness it was a friends).

Now I always am OCD about putting the parking brake on plus I always give the car a shake and a push once I get out of it to make sure its not going anywhere.

Set up bottles for an overnight soak so my wife can bottle her mead tomorrow. Popped down to the local pub for a pint of their in-house-brewed IPA before settling in for the night with some of my own brew.

I was suppose to bottle my ipa, but that's going to wait till tomorrow. I was way too tired today visiting my parents, so it'll dry hop for one more day, 8 days total. Then I can start my chocolate stout.

Kegged an IPA and contacted a local hop farmer about picking up a couple of pounds of Centennials. Currently soaking the fermentor and a few odds and ends.

I brewed my Christmas beer. I'm trying to think of a good name, and I hope that I have enough bottles to make this happen. I'm not optimistic.

Cracked open my first bottle of my second batch :mug: It's lots clearer and easier to drink but still a bit (fruity) or (tart) Its only three weeks since I started so it has probably not matured yet. Going to start my third brew tomorrow, I'm going to be an expert soon :cross: Happy brewing!

About to start heating strike water and milling grains for my Mild. Then I'll make starters for a Cal Common and Robust Porter for the weekend (hoping to have a few friends drop by Saturday for Learn to Homebrew Day).

Made my first batch of cider with some Notty and its already bubbling away. Planning on making another 6gal in a few days with US04. Should be ready by thanksgiving if all goes right.

Sipping an IPA from the new brewery that just opened in town. They opened at 3:00pm - by 3:17pm I had 3 growlers filled!

I got another yeast starter going for my next batch of beer and I started to read the book yeast so that my future beers will be even better.

Just getting back into brewing. Emptied out some bottles from an old batch, cleaned/dusted off equipment. Ordered ingredients from AHS for my next two brews (A Kolsh and apfelwein).

Yesterday, I bottled my first solo all-grain batch, the Dry Dock SS Minnow Mild Ale from NB's pro series. Then washed the yeast (I subbed Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale) and have two quart jars of yeast for upcoming batches.

Waiting for the sink to get emptied to clean/rinse my bottling bucket,etc. Have to bottle my 1st partial mash cascade pale ale kit from midwest today. Want it ready for thanksgiving. Can't wait to see how the final product tastes from my 1st go at pm.

Here's a blast from th past...the WORLDS ONLY get down man,Mr Murray SAUL,100.7 WMMS FM back in the day...Enjoy the friday get down!!!! They kill our bees...but we can still eat our honey!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Measured out grains for my next 3 brews this weekend, divided up a bag of rahr pale ale malt into homer buckets, and bleached a carboy I had a recent infection in.

Finished washing some WLP 099 screwed up after racking and stirred everything up so I moved it all to the fridge for a few days. Got it in jars now.

Finally was able to get online today and saw that hops direct had 2012 cascade and centennial so I ordered a pound of each. Certainly brightened my day!

Latest posts

Back