What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dialed in carbonation on my pumpkin imperial stout on vanilla beans. Taste more vanilla than pumpkin ATM.
IMG_20181026_130638753.jpeg

Racked my braggot to secondary...still super sweet, not as low of a FG as I was hoping, so made an emergency run to the LHBS for WLP099.
Also prepped stuff for the pumpkin ale tomorrow, including roasting the seeds. Going to roast the pumpkin in the morning and go right from the oven to the mash.

Yesterday I dry-hopped a PA for a buddy’s first-ever brew session and bottled my Red Rye.

Tasted my SMaSH (Maris Otter and Pacific Jade) and my oatmeal stout aged with oak and Irish whiskey.

And signed up for a home brew club-local brewery partnership opportunity to brew a barley wine on their 5bbl system.

Almost forgot; I will be smoking my malt for a traditional porter as soon as the football game is over, hehe, priorities.

Been a good weekend!

Cleaned out a keg that kicked yesterday (and the lines), then kegged my Thanksgiving ale. It's fantastic based on the fg sample, can't wait for it to be carbed!

Brewing my German style IPA I created lol and drinking some of course . Have my seasonal vanilla pumpkin Stout and a German lager
IMG_20181028_195307140.jpeg
IMG_20181028_195416988.jpeg
IMG_20181028_000116_031.jpeg

Took a gravity sample on my American Barleywine. Started off at 1.107 and is currently at 1.031. Yeast was pitched on 10/19. Bumped the temp up in the fermentation chamber to get the yeast to drop a few more points. I hope it can get to 1.025ish, for the sample was still a bit sweet to me.

Just took a gravity reading from my american amber, finished right at 6%. Kegging it later and making a starter of Voss Kveik for the breakfast stout tomorrow.

Zip-tied my thermometer probe in my Kegerator to a can of beer to get a better reading lol

I posted this elsewhere. It was some days ago but I roused the yeast in my stout because it was sitting in too cold of an area. Brought it upstairs and it finished carbing rapidly. Still needs to condition though.

Trying to find all the info I can about eisbeer. Dunno what the law says about that in the states but found out today it`s totally legal here (unlike hot distilling) Intriqued to give it a go during the winter.
I believe Brew Dog was big on those I would start looking there from what I understand you freeze the beer slowly and before it fully freezes you take the "condensed" beer out but I never looked into them honestly

Yea that`s the idea, my plan is to freeze the entire fermenter before bottling and scoop up the icy slosh from the top a few times but cannot find an answer to whether or not the yeast will survive this or if I should re-pitch when racking to a bottling bucket.

Racked my Oktoberfest to the keg for lagering after stepping temp down to 38. Had a stout while doing it and now harvesting the yeast for a dark Czech lager I'm brewing Saturday [emoji16]
IMG_20181101_211527292.jpeg
IMG_20181101_211536993.jpeg
IMG_20181101_213404983.jpeg

Spent a happy afternoon helping my brewpub boss keg up his amber & jalapeno amber (which I can't stand because I'm mostly norwegian and spicy is gross), and got to take home a keg of the spicy stuff which the husband loves (because he's weird, but that may be why I married him). Then after taking the filled kegs to the taproom spent an hour or two playing pub games, drinking a pint or two of fabulous beer that I helped brew, and expounding on homebrew stories. Altogether a great day.

Just rehydrated 2 lbs of pale malt with 29 oz of distilled water. Planning to make some 10L crystal malt. It's sitting in the fridge in a Tupperware container. Once it absorbs all the water, around Monday, I'll mash it in my instant pot.

Did my first yeast harvest after racking my Oktoberfest into the keg for lagering. I plan to brew another Czech dark lager with it Saturday. not sure if I should make a starter or not but I might do it just to make sure!
IMG_20181102_083900825.jpeg

Used a yeast harvest from my Oktoberfest to make a starter for my Czech style dark lager I'm brewing this weekend [emoji16]. I've never done this before, but I also did an overbuild to try to harvest a pint from the 3L starter to save for later before I pitch it.
IMG_20181102_160511985.jpeg

it's National Homebrew Day making a Czechoslovakian Dark Lager at the local homebrew Shop amongst many other brewers with grandfather robobrew Etc
IMG_20181103_120918987_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20181103_121025885_HDR.jpeg
IMG_20181103_121030436.jpeg

Back