What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6895F6FA-C69C-415D-866E-165490867B8A.jpeg
Cleaned 48 bottles for my raspberry ale I’m bottling Saturday night.

Got home just shy of 10pm after working all day and driving 6.5 hours home. Unpacked quickly and tossed a load of laundry in. Then portioned off my starter, part to save and the other part is in the kegerator chilling for tomorrow’s brew day. Measured out my grains too. Tomorrow I’ll get the kids off to school then bring all of the equipment out to the garage and start my American Barleywine and hopefully something else attempting a partygyle beer too.

I would have trucked all of my equipment out to the garage tonight but it’s supposed to be in the low 30’s maybe into the 20’s. I’ll keep it warm inside for now.

Just bottled 56 bottles of
"The Juice Is Worth The Squeeze"

Sampled a little bit and I am so stoked.
This is my best yet.
Learned from mistakes and made corrections, plus a lot of face time with books and podcasts and I've picked up some good tips.

Always a learning lesson and it just makes all the time and effort worth while.
20181018_212142.jpeg

Today I brewed my complex Autumn Vienna Amber Ale and everything went very smooth. But the highlight was when I tapped my German Hefeweizen. I decocted this recipe and I have brewed many hefeweizens over the years and though they were good, I keep trying to make the perfect hef as something was missing. I kept trying different recipes, pitching rates, fermentation temps, and then I tried decocting. I can't believe it, I really nailed it this time! My friend who is a hefeweizen geek freaked out and proclaimed that this is the one! Just like they serve fresh in Germany! Great day today!

Cheers,

John

Last edited:
Kegged my pumpkin ale. I put 2 tsp of pumpkin spice and a chopped up vanilla bean into 2 oz of dark rum back on brew day. Strained the bits of vanilla bean out and dumped the mixture into the keg today. Smelled fantastic!

Beer tasted pretty good before I added the spice too.

Kegged my pumpkin ale. I put 2 tsp of pumpkin spice and a chopped up vanilla bean into 2 oz of dark rum back on brew day. Strained the bits of vanilla bean out and dumped the mixture into the keg today. Smelled fantastic!

I’ve never done a tincture like this before but you’ve inspired me to try...my pumpkin came out a bit low on grav and not as spicy as I typically like, so before I put the second keg on I might try this....also kegging a dunkelweizen today. Had our Halloween party at the house last night and put a keg of my zombie dust clone I’ve been dialing in, for everyone to try. This is the first time I’ve done this and got so many people trying my beer, got rave reviews!

I’ve never done a tincture like this before but you’ve inspired me to try...my pumpkin came out a bit low on grav and not as spicy as I typically like, so before I put the second keg on I might try this....also kegging a dunkelweizen today. Had our Halloween party at the house last night and put a keg of my zombie dust clone I’ve been dialing in, for everyone to try. This is the first time I’ve done this and got so many people trying my beer, got rave reviews!

Next time I do this, I'll probably use double the rum. I ended up with a sticky paste which I'm sure dissolved fine in the keg full of beer, but was kind of a mess to work with.

Well, it was yesterday, but I taught a co-worker and my sister how to brew.

They loved the flexibility in a brew recipe and the idea that if se basic principles of sanitation and QC are followed, it’s going to be good beer.

Started with a Sierra Nevada Clone and ended with something slightly different.

Can’t wait to bottle in 2 weeks!

Took a gravity reading of my Oktoberfest lager down from 1.056 to 1.020 I guess it's about time to rack it to a keg and lager [emoji16]
IMG_20181021_211833083.jpeg

I did this with my Chocolate Banana Stout....

On brew day I put four oz of cacao nibs in a jar and covered with white rum. Then at kegging added the nibs to tea ball hung by fishing line and poured the cacao tincture into the keg. A week later I lifted the tea out and gassed it.

It's really chocolaty. I also mashed with 8 oz of Hershey cocoa. Smell is the cocoa, taste is the cacao. Banana was done late in the boil. It's got both smell and taste of banana. The taste dominance of banana and chocolate waver with time as the beer warms.

It's a weirdly nice sipper.

Work has been kicking my a** the last few weeks, so I haven't done much of anything beer-wise until this weekend: Bottled 10L of Rasberry Berliner Weiße, organized & rotated my current beer stock, and took count of my supplies. Best of all, I drank some homebrew!

A couple days late, but last friday submitted 2 brews to my second competition. The LHBS was the drop off point, so also bought a new bag of 2row base malt, and the specialty malts and yeast for the next 3 batches.

completely cleaned out my Kegerator while having a beer. Now I'm about to rack my pumpkin Imperial stout onto vanilla beans in a keg for a week while it carbonates for Halloween [emoji41]
IMG_20181022_211704315.jpeg

I did this with my Chocolate Banana Stout....

On brew day I put four oz of cacao nibs in a jar and covered with white rum. Then at kegging added the nibs to tea ball hung by fishing line and poured the cacao tincture into the keg. A week later I lifted the tea out and gassed it.

It's really chocolaty. I also mashed with 8 oz of Hershey cocoa. Smell is the cocoa, taste is the cacao. Banana was done late in the boil. It's got both smell and taste of banana. The taste dominance of banana and chocolate waver with time as the beer warms.

It's a weirdly nice sipper.

Sounds interesting, doesn't sound like you back sweetened though? what was the FG of it?

And yesterday i put some green malt in the oven at 150f, today i'm cranking the temp up to 230f, for 12 hours to hopefully get a light crystal, for smoking!

(now that i'm thinking about it, next batch i think i'll use the smoker to get the green malt up to 150f....doh!)

That's a good looking APBT you have for a brew buddy. I love those dogs.

APBT = American Pit Bull Terriers?

She’s a rescue mutt & we think she’s a Pit and Ridgeback mix. Great family dog and great with kid, but leery/suspect of some new people & other dogs.

There’s two other mutts roaming around that are not in the photo. We love our pets!

Started my day by kegging off a peach&mango milkshake ipa. Finished at 8.5% and tastes pretty good flat. Then I brewed an American Amber Ale. Over shot my gravity so it will be closer to 6.5 than the intended 6.0. Cleaned up. And now im drinking beer.

Made a starter with wlp 1007 for my Brew Day. Doing a hybrid beer I created German IPA with honey. Having an IPA also [emoji16]
IMG_20181025_204712119.jpeg
IMG_20181025_214207791.jpeg
IMG_20181025_201708345.jpeg

Made a starter with wlp 1007 for my Brew Day. Doing a hybrid beer I created German IPA with honey. Having an IPA also [emoji16]View attachment 594519View attachment 594520View attachment 594521

As a lifelong student of History, and having lived in Germany for 9 years, I don't recall the Germans ever exploring India...hmmm. :rolleyes::eek:

What I did for beer today? I drank a couple of pitchers of Festbier.

After the kidneys were full, I performed a miracle by turning it into an American lager and deposited it into one of my 3 porcelain punch bowls. (OK, I'm still drinking some...).

Back