What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rearranged the entire garage with my son to make room for my newly acquired serving fridge...tried to soothe my wife's nerves that the beer stuff now takes up one entire wall of our garage...haha.

IMG_20180129_224934.jpg
promised small indoctrination kits for two workmates and happened to find the perfect paper bags to pack them in too. Also just bottled a batch of El Gringo Cerveza, intriqued to find out how it tastes like after bottle conditioning as right now it didn't taste like anything :D

Left work early at 2:30pm in order to:

1. Cold crash the double IPA for my dad that was dry-hopping
2. Boil, hop, cool, the Gose I’ve been Kettle-souring for three days, then pitch the stir-plate of yeast.
3. Back-sweetened and acid-blended three gallons of cherry hibiscus oaked mead into 10 champagne bottles (corked, sparkling) and 6 8oz beer bottles (still - required weighing out k-meta and k-sorb for each bottle).
View attachment 555764
4. Went to keg the double IPA referenced in #1 above and found my co2 literally ran out as I was purging head space. Frantically cleaned bottles and found just enough plus caps to get it done. Then, the spigot on my bottling bucket broke. Luckily I had an extra.
5. Bottled the double IPA and am now buzzed at 1am on a work night because there was a half pint left over that I chugged, and it’s 9.7% ABV.

Last edited:
Just put 8 ounces of cacao nibs into my conical, containing my 11 gallons of "Left Hand Milk Stout" and purged with Co2. Love this beer!

John

Set up Belgian strawberry abbey, that had grown a pellical during primary, in secondary in a heated water bath for addition of WLP650 (Brett), added Brett when temp was 84F. Let's see what happens next!

Took delivery of some carbide hole saws. Gotta get busy on the weekend soldering in 2" TC ports and 1/2" couplers in the new kettles, and etching vol. markings in the pots. Wanna brew with these guys the weekend after this one. Pipelines gotta stay healthy. lol

Welded a coupler into a keggle.

@#$&$@(& TIG Pedal is out to lunch so I had to "Scratch start" TIG for the first time in probably 20+ years.

Welded a coupler into a keggle.

@#$&$@(& TIG Pedal is out to lunch so I had to "Scratch start" TIG for the first time in probably 20+ years.

What is that pedal you speak of? Man I’ve only scratched, I’d love a pedal. My machine smoked a few weeks back. It is from the late 70’s. Looking forward to a small suitcase machine. It was huge!!

I have a mid 80s Lincoln TIG300/300

It's a beast. Pedal was sticking around high power.

I have a mid 80s Lincoln TIG300/300

It's a beast. Pedal was sticking around high power.

The aforementioned Beast.

And my less than awesome TIG Weld.

Attachments

• WelderPedestal.jpg
    WelderPedestal.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 85
  • BadTig.jpg
    BadTig.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 96
Bottled 5.2 gallons of "Good Burglar" ale. Settled out at 4.4% ABV, has a good light brown color, nice hoppy nose, satisfying mouthfeel and a pleasantly bitter linger. Can't wait 'till it carbonates!

Bottled some of my Graff and kegged the rest. Force carbonating at 30psi hopefully it will be ready for the cider friends I have on Sunday.
When cold tomorrow......like in the morning.

At 30 psi, carb it until it stops hissing, then shake the keg a lot like three minutes. After you shake the Hell out of it, it'll take more co2. Fill till it stops hissing.... shake.... Then repeat five or six times.

It's gonna be carbed. You might be drinking by 3pm.....

On Saturday. [emoji1]

Soldered in 2" TC fittings, 1/2" couplers into a new kettle. Etched vol. markings..
Now watchin OHL hockey... Threw a pint of Fizzy Yellow Beer. lol
Cheers all!
20180203_161838.jpg

Kegged my favorite oatmeal stout recipe (which I didn’t make last year, so I’m especially excited to have it again this year) and started carbing it alongside the bock that’s been lagering.

Bought pretzels for a one of several snack items for the game. I had repurposing in mind when I bought them. LOL

5 lbs of beech wood smoked pale malt.

20180204_165838.jpg

Doing a 10 Gal batch of Bertus Brewings Citra Double IPA on a sunny So Cal day while the kid does his homework... Life's good.

Attachments

• IMG_2745.JPG
    IMG_2745.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 73
Today I kegged my Chocolate Milk Stout! Also cleaned 4 kegs and cleaned my conical fermenter. Got the conical soaking in PBW as I type this.

John

Filled 10 bottles for Maine Homebrewers Competition. And bought a keg while I was at the store

Last edited:
Kegged my Dortmunder lager last night and hit it with gelatin this morning.

That’s it - all my kegs are full and fermenters are empty. Plenty to hold me until the weather warms up.

Back