What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replaced the air lock on my kolsch this morning. Getting a bit of blow off. My god this stuff smells good! The cold temps here have had my swamp cooler in the lower 50's for a couple days now so the temp in the FV should be just about right. This is my first batch with Wyeast 2565. Can't wait for this one to finish! :D

Bottled a batch of Smashed Otter First Gold, since I got an empty primary now started planning on the next brew. If I can make it to my LHBS gonna get bags of challenger and amarillo to brew a batch of my IIPA, if not gonna look what I can scrape up. Should have Target, Magnum, EKG and first gold at home so some sort of a brit bitter or sth.

Put together a stainless prep table.
Cleaned 8 kegs, Full Teardown and Oring Replacement.
Cold Crashing 10 gallons of Ekuanot(5)Centennial(5)

Cleaned and sanitized a fermentor for Grodziski and pitched the yeast. Checked gravity on my Belgian quad and switched blowoff tube for an airlock. Put some HB in the fridge for later.

One of my employees at the shop is quite amazed that I made the beers hes been sampling, and even more amazed at how little it costs. Tryin to go thru older equipment I have to see if I can hobble together a fairly complete setup for him to start doing extract batches at least. If he wants to expand from there, good on em!

Checked the gravity of the Boston Lager-like in fermentation since the 15th. I did not expect it to be as close to finish as it is (1.015) so raised the temp for a Diacetyl rest.

Racked the IIPA I brewed last night into a fermentor. After cooling it with a coil to 35c I left it to clear up in the pot for 15h, seemed to work beautifully as all the hot break had settled down. First time I racked crystal clear wort from the pot.

Ordered the ingredients for a Left Hand Milk Stout homage which will be my St Patrick’s Day beer.

Brewed a batch of American Ale extract w/steeped grains. Trying out Azacca and I'm very impressed at the impression it left after only 8 minutes at the end of the boil.

Also, tightened the screws on my homemade wort chiller to avoid those nasty drips where the rubber meets the copper.

Brewed 6 gallons of hefeweizen. Hit my target OG of 1.054 with a 60 minute boil. For some reason the elements were scorched and the batch looks darker than expected. I might have to dial back the output wattage till I figure this out. Anyone know how to clean a scorched element?

Tapped a keg of my Bohemian Pilsner.

Worked on an ESB design that I am making a cask of the Super Bowl. I'm mounting my beer engine (hand pull) on the mantel next to the TV.

Because after last year, I'm not missing a minute of the Super Bowl.

Took a gravity reading from my NEIPA. 8 days in and it went from 1.069 to 1.016. The yeast is a blend of WY1318 and OYL-052. The sample had an amazing nose and tasted great!

I’m also in the process of brewing a Graff. It’s my first attempt but I hope it will be ready for the super bowl. I know I’m pushing it, but I’m going to use the yeast cake from my NE IPA. So it should be interesting and take right off.

Edit - Well I was looking to use the yeast cake from the NE IPA but the collection ball was just hop pellet particles packed in the fastferment collection ball. The yeast is slowly dropping into the new collection ball. So I used the Nottingham yeast I had available.

Last edited:
Overbuilt a starter of Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. My first run at a yeast bank. Made some mistakes while enjoying some beer so may only be a test for two batches.

Popped into my LHBS, meant to just get a bag of coopers twist caps for the PET bottles but they had such a wide variety of color choices I ended up getting four bags of regular caps as well. And while I was there could as well replenish my hop stock so decided to experiment on a bag of Bramling Cross, never tried it before so hoping it's good for a "drinking" pale ale.

Racked my brown ale that stalled out at 1020 to secondary, added 2L of 1020 wort from dme to get volume up, and added some dregs from a couple krieks i had drank and some lacto.

Canning some starter wort and will finish it tomorrow. Also portioned out a 50lbs bucket of PBW for a group buy some members of our homebrew club went in on.

Last night i popped the top on a bottle of APA from a batch I bottled with my nephew and his wife about a week and a half ago. They were over, and were dying to see if the bubble seeds we planted had taken root or not. They did, but they are still not ripe yet. Another week and a half or two and it will be time. ( I gotta say though - they probably would have drank the lot green and half carbed as it was; they were so fired up! I think we got a couple of seriously hooked newbies. Good stuff)

Canning more starter wort for 2018. So far 7 quarts done & cooling. 8 pints going right now. 6 pints in the queue. Last night canned 12 quarts!! Woohoo!!

So I’ll drink more beer, browse, post, reply on HBT and probably thumb through my brewing magazines I haven’t read yet. Cheers!!!

Stared at two fermenters bubbling away (Classic Saison and a Irish Red Ale).
Sniffed the airlocks a couple times.
Cleaned my empty fridge waiting for it's four empty kegs to return home filled.
Decided that this weekend i'll brew a Kolsch and next weekend will be a Wit or Porter.
Played on HomeBrewTalk for a while. Picked on anything over-hopped claiming to be beer.

Loaded a batch of bottles in the sink for diluted bleach sanitizing, along with the spigot from my bottling bucket. But my batch isn't attenuating as quickly as I thought it would be, so I may be storing the bottles in the rack for a couple more days.

Cold crashed an Irish Red Ale
Kegged a Saison
Brewed a Witbier

Slowly catching up and refilling the kegerator :)

Got my wife to sample my Smashed Otter. She`s usually really picky about beer and normally only drinks Fosters (yea, I know...) Last night I poured her an otter all ready to finish it for her after a few sips. She ended up drinking two, and she usually doesn`t even drink that much.

Tomorrow gonna bottle the first of two batches of my cerveza, brewed mainly for her. Hoping it`ll be good too (as always)

Brewed my first attempt at a black IPA, kegged 10 gals of another Pale Ale for cold crashing. Cleaned a couple kegs and a 14g conical. Perhaps i can sample some beers while switching between football and hockey this afternoon. [emoji458][emoji322][emoji481]

Check gravity of a batch of cider. Tasty, but still has a bit to go. Pulled a couple of 16 oz. samples of the last brewed beer, an all Northern Michigan juicy pale ale. Local grain, local malting company, and local hops. Still a bit young.

Made a yeast starter for Friday. Flying to the west coast for a few days. Hope it takes off. Brew day planned for when I get home

Looked longingly at kegerators and a fermentasuarus (sp). Brew day maybe in April when work calms down....:(

Back