What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ferment in 6 gal. glass carboys. Yeah, I know the dangers. I just like glass. Anyway, I set them in my ferm chamber, a 5 cu. ft. chest freezer. It's a bear to lift those full carboys in and out, and my back just isn't what it used to be. I ordered a 1/4" ratchet pulley from Wilserbrewer. With a brewhauler around the carboy, I'll rig the pulley above the ferm chamber to hoist the carboy.

Pics when I get it all set up.

Weighed out grains for next brew day, inventoried grains on hand, ordered 3 bags of base grains (MO, Pale Ale, 2 row); changed out CO2 tank in kegerator, cleaned keg and lines

Pulled the PRV again on the keg I brought home from work yesterday, containing 2.5 gallons each of Lime & Strawberry blonde. Payment for kegging 100 gallons all by myself, this is what was leftover. Should be good to go by tomorrow.

Built an immersion chiller, refilled a CO2 tank, acquired a larger CO2 tank, and checked the fermentation of the current batch.

Bottled and corked a cranberry Christmas ale. The rest were capped.

IMG_6464.jpg

IMG_6463.jpg

Put the hop farm (8 plants) to bed for the winter. Ordered a new HLT/BK. Visited my LHBS to pick up parts for a cooler mash tun and malt for my first BIAB batch.

Brewed a batch of House IPA (waiting for boil now) and came up with yet ANOTHER excuse not to keg my oatmeal stout that's been sitting in the carboy for 3 weeks....I'm too tired and don't wanna clean a keg. Hopefully will get to it tomorrow. Just took a peek at it, nothing amiss.

Kegged an ale I brewed for the first time using a lot of cascade.

Put a peg board in my brew closet so I can better organize my hoses, etc.

Tweaked my Electric Hop Candy Jr recipe for even more juicy hop goodness! Or more correctly, after two weeks of it being kegged, based on my own tasting and feedback from others, I decided the results are more to my liking so the recipe's been permanently changed now. This is the beer I've been looking for!

22709002_990195274476707_6749129613437304832_n.jpg

Kal

Nice. I've been meaning to try that one. Been distracted with job changes.

Saturday was do-a-good-turn day for homebrew. I helped my homebrew club with its first public competition as a steward. Having entered a few competitions before, it was cool to see it from the judges perspective. Also helped out a few homebrew customers at the shop with their brewing quandaries.

Pitched some 05 and clarity ferm into the pumpkin ale I brewed yesterday. Now to look up good lager recipes for winter

Cold crashing 5 gal of Caribou Slobber. Installed rope hoist for the BIAB set up. Organized the growing mound of brewing paraphernalia.

Bought me some hops today from HopsDirect!

Belma
El Dorado
Cascade

I have been intrigued by pairing Belma and El Dorado into a strawberry/watermelon IPA

Cascade because I want to do some old school pale ale.

Tuned my bottling wand, the tip was too long so I had to keep it lifted from the bottom of the bottle for optimal flow, cut a small piece off and filed it straight. If someone knows of a bottling wand that fully closes when lifted up (spring operated maybe) feel free to throw me a link.

Back