What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to get more heat in the house so my kottbusser will finish fermenting properly while I went to the hospital to visit my wife. Shes doing better, but she can't get over the nausea & her ear hurts? She did manage a big hug & that smile, so that's promising. Son got up early to go visit before he left for work & got more kerosine for the heater. Hoping my beer finishes...

Brewed an American Brown Ale. Classic Brews recipe.

Kegged ten gallons of Honey Pale Ale and put it under burst carb. The little leftover that ended up in my tasting cup holds promise. It's just one of those you know is going to be good.

Pitched a starter into the American Amber I brewed yesterday.

Made a starter for the Brown and put it on the spin plate.

Yeah, I know, I should have made the starters a few days ago.

Got a good start this weekend on Saturday when I asked SWMBO if she wanted to go up to the LHBS and she said "sure".

All in all a great Presidents weekend.

Tried to get more heat in the house so my kottbusser will finish fermenting properly while I went to the hospital to visit my wife. Shes doing better, but she can't get over the nausea & her ear hurts? She did manage a big hug & that smile, so that's promising. Son got up early to go visit before he left for work & got more kerosine for the heater. Hoping my beer finishes...

Hope all goes well for her. Had my share of family hospital visits myself this last year.

What I did? Just adding ice to my bath for a quasi IPA clone of a local brew pub beer. 2x a day keeps off flavors away.

De-labeled sixty odd bottles. Thirty something to go. Sitting on a dozen Corona bottles just in case I get sick of scrubbing glue.

Convinced my wife that the range hood needed replacing, because the old one wasn't ducted and my one gallon stovetop batches were seriously fogging up the kitchen. Squeezed it in with her 4 weeks pre-baby lighting and faucet upgrades

Checked on my cream ale, bubbling very nicely, also moved a yeast starter for my Gumball Head clone from the stir plate to the fridge for cold crashing.

Read this thread to get excited to brew!

Next in the hopper is Maibock. Then 2 Kolsch batches. One with Honey Malt the other with Honey in secondary. I want to taste the difference!

Got my quick disconnects in the mail and picked up a short male 1/2" nipple for a valve attachment for the bottom of conical.

Made the first step in a starter for a Maibock. Don't have pils malt, might try an all pale ale with low mash temp and a hint of munich instead. It'll be beer.

About to go and rinse/sanitize the empty keg collection.

cold crashed a starter for the american brown ale I brewed on Monday, which is sitting patiently in the fermenter waiting for it's yeast... I'll pitch that tonight.

Does anyone else ever pitch a day or three after brewing the wort?

After reading the thread on how to get special characters on the keyboard, I decided to do some editing on my 2nd home brewing book. Good thing I did...found many other simple errors. Still got some labeled bottles to clean for my son's batch.

It's bottling day for me. I knew the fermenter was a bit over filled, I got 58 bottles this time. It is another Williams Brewing extract kit, the English Bitter.:mug:

EBitter.jpg

I got 55-12oz bottles of my ESB on 2/8. And I filled it to the 5G mark after straining in the wort too. So straining definitely helps.:mug:

Just brewed a 5 gal batch, using 15 lbs of Maris Otter, with Amarillo/Mosaic/Simcoe hops. WLP007 starter, is at high krausen. Getting ready to oxygenate my wort, and pitch the yeast.

Edit: Pitched the yeast, and rigged up a blow-off tube.

Mailed off 2 care packages for some hbt friends. Word of advice, its probably not a good idea to ship using a box that is in any way beer related. They get kinda suspicious.

I'm away from home and decided to brew something while I'm here - I brought some supplies with me, but apparently not enuff. I brewed a 2 gallon batch of Ginger beer two days ago and it hadn't started to ferment yet, so today I made a 1 qt starter from T-58 dry yeast and 4 big spoonsfull of dark TN mountain honey, after about 6 hours it was working away, so I've poured it into the Ginger beer to see if that will kick-start it. It's got a lot of lemons in it, and I don't have any yeast energizer or yeast nutrient on hand, so I figure it'll need the extra help. Now it's got two pkts of yeast, both ale yeasts - I had intended to use Champagne yeast, but forgot to bring it with me and it's just as far to home as it is to a brew shop!

Brewed earlier today, but forgot to mention something.

I found a fingernail-sized rock in my sack of Maris Otter. Thankfully, I found it before I ran it through my mill. It would have done some damage.

Hanging with my local bud in the taproom. Brew dog hanging with us. Grooving on the honey pale ale I just tapped. Very dry. Doesn't tire the palette. Could be competition worthy.

Took a starter out of the fridge earlier. Now aerating the American Brown Ale wort I brewed Sunday. I'll pitch that starter before hitting the sack. But not before listening to a little more Stevie Ray Vaughan radio on pandora.

Love me some blues in the brewery.

So I'm hoping for some inputs here if you guys get a shot because I'm working my first beer and moved to a secondary today with a blackberry puree added. Here's a rundown of what I've done so far.

Used a "Brewer's Bes"t LME Red Ale kit and followed the directions to the letter on brew day with no major issues on Friday, 13 Feb.

Beer fermented until today, 18 Feb and then pureed and pasteurized 3lbs of frozen blackberries at 170 degrees for 9 minutes.

Ensured the secondary was sanitized prior to transfer and siphoned the beer from the primary down to a 1/3 inch or so from the yeast cake at the bottom.

Beer is now back in the closet for what I expect to be about two weeks.

The question is, what do you all think of this process thus far and secondarily, should I bottle after confirmed stop in fermentation determined by consecutive and unchanging hydrometer readings?

Also, I tasted the beer today and it tasted slightly watery. It tasted like it need a stronger beer flavor. Any suggestions to fix this issue or will it fix itself?

Last edited:
Did my first party-gyle yesterday. Didn't quite go as I expected but I got about 2.5 gal of 1.045 wort out of the second rubbings of my 5 gal batch of 1.096 imperial stout. Curious to see what the flavor profile is. A bit over hopped since I misjudged the runoff. Interesting getting two beers for the price of one.

I always get less on my second rubbings

I have heard about people doing this do you have a recipe you wouldn't mind passing along?
To make spent-grain dog treats, just Google "dog treats recipe" and for the spent grain part of the flour, put some dried spent grain into your flour mill, (I don't know if you can process it fine enuff with a coffee grinder or food processor), and use it in place of the flour. For human food, we just use 1/4 spent grain flour to 1 regular flour (whole wheat for my wife's bread, cookies, do-nuts, etc.) - Spent grain loses it's gluten in the wort, so you have provide the gluten with regular flour.

I grind my dried spent grains in my Mr Coffee burr grinder on the finest espresso setting. Soaking the labels off some bottles in my homer cheapo bucket after draining most of the PBW solution outta the Cooper's Micro Brew FV & adding 3TBSP more PBW to the bucket. Cleaned & rinsed my flask & stuck it on the pump of my vinator atop the bottle tree to drip-dry. Gotta get all the bottles I saved for my son's chili IIPA delabeled & such. And a few for me to replace köttbusser trades next month.

Built half of my keg/carboy/bucket/bk/keg line all in one cleaner. Still need to get a few parts as I apparently got some of the wrong fittings.

So I'm hoping for some inputs here if you guys get a shot because I'm working my first beer and moved to a secondary today with a blackberry puree added. Here's a rundown of what I've done so far.

Used a "Brewer's Bes"t LME Red Ale kit and followed the directions to the letter on brew day with no major issues on Friday, 13 Feb.

Beer fermented until today, 18 Feb and then pureed and pasteurized 3lbs of frozen blackberries at 170 degrees for 9 minutes.

Ensured the secondary was sanitized prior to transfer and siphoned the beer from the primary down to a 1/3 inch or so from the yeast cake at the bottom.

Beer is now back in the closet for what I expect to be about two weeks.

The question is, what do you all think of this process thus far and secondarily, should I bottle after confirmed stop in fermentation determined by consecutive and unchanging hydrometer readings?

Also, I tasted the beer today and it tasted slightly watery. It tasted like it need a stronger beer flavor. Any suggestions to fix this issue or will it fix itself?

Couple things.
First, be sure to check FG in primary. Additions in secondary will change numbers so you wouldn't get an accurate reading.

Second, the primary fermentation will be basically completed after 4 or 5 days so you'll be good anyway. I always do a 14day fermentation for any and all beers myself.

Your process is sound and there's nothing you can do about it now. Nature will take it's course. If your anal about sanitizing, and it sounds like you are, all should be good.

As far as watery, that could be recipe. What's the estimated ABV? And no there's nothing you can do about this neither. Just sit back and enjoy your first brew experience.

I've been brewing for a year now. Just to let you know, my biggest gains in flavor came from keeping fermentation temperature lower, 63 to 67, with an ice bath. Along with building a kegging setup.

Welcome to the club!

Couple things.
First, be sure to check FG in primary. Additions in secondary will change numbers so you wouldn't get an accurate reading.

Second, the primary fermentation will be basically completed after 4 or 5 days so you'll be good anyway. I always do a 14day fermentation for any and all beers myself.

Your process is sound and there's nothing you can do about it now. Nature will take it's course. If your anal about sanitizing, and it sounds like you are, all should be good.

As far as watery, that could be recipe. What's the estimated ABV? And no there's nothing you can do about this neither. Just sit back and enjoy your first brew experience.

I've been brewing for a year now. Just to let you know, my biggest gains in flavor came from keeping fermentation temperature lower, 63 to 67, with an ice bath. Along with building a kegging setup.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. Estimated APV is 5.5% and the watery flavor and texture wasn't TOO bad, it was present. The kegging IS coming, but I am moving to I dunno where in 3 months so I'm waiting for the dust to settle with the move before we upgrade to a keezer to keep a keg cold. Since the SWMBO says no kegs in the kitchen fridge, I'm stuck in bottles for now (genie help me).

I will try the ice bath next time. I have a maple bacon brown ale LME kit on deck so we'll see what it gives us. I'll be posting regularly on how it all falls out.

Well, I went in to check temp in my swamp cooler to see how my blonde ale was coming along. Temp was good (64* ambient) but I noticed the water had a film on it. Also noted a few small flies nearby. As I checked further I noticed my primary lid was not sealed!!! Holy crap!!

I looked in and it looked/smelled good. Sealed it up and I'm hoping for the best.

I set up a blow off tube after I pitched 10 days ago because of the lack of headspace. Could the pressure still have unseated the lid?

Fingers crossed... :-(

So I added some Cane Sugar and brown sugar to bump up my Experimental Lite Ocktoberfest beer, drew a sample from my N Germ Alt to check for progress on the Lagering...Clear as a whistle and super super clean tasting; looks like it's kegging/bottling time this weekend.

Oxi Clean soak for my fermenter to get it ready for tomorrow's batch.

Bottled the previous beer on 1/11, I think? Lol.

0220051212.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only one who waits too long to clean things . . . :drunk:

Never had an issue... although, now that I don't have to bottle, I will just clean it out right away. I was always just done with it by the time I got it all packaged and would slap the airlock back on and let it sit. Haha.

Back