What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packaged 10g of California Common. Half in a keg, half bottled for gifts. Not going to lie here, it took less time to fill the keg than it took to remember my bottling procedure. I don't miss it.

I still have to figure out how I'm going to go about getting heat in there. Might order a heat lamp from amazon, didn't see any at lowes.

I have seen a lot of guys use the heating pads used for reptile tanks. Probably can get em at any pet store

I still have to figure out how I'm going to go about getting heat in there. Might order a heat lamp from amazon, didn't see any at lowes.

I have seen a lot of guys use the heating pads used for reptile tanks. Probably can get em at any pet store

Racked my Belgian Blonde to secondary w/ some freshly cracked peppercorns.
Also participated in the Peach State Brew Off tagging party of the 450 entries.

I did a good bit today however most of it was rearranging the garage for the new freezer. So that took a couple hours out of the day. Then I decided to sample my bourbon vanilla porter which was really good but I think needs some more time sitting in the keg.

I mounted the temp controller but have yet to plug the freezer in. As I am just shy of having a point to do so. Will prob plug it in on Thursday. As I want to cold cash and American home wheat I did.

And if you can tell I am from pittsburgh from the freezer. And that is some of my brew gear in front of it. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423628190.683506.jpg

I mounted the temp controller but have yet to plug the freezer in. As I am just shy of having a point to do so. Will prob plug it in on Thursday. As I want to cold cash and American home wheat I did.

If you let the freezer cool itself first before loading it with something you'd like to cold crash it will give itself a little bit of cold thermal mass before adding the less- cold keg of beer. It will make it a little easier on the thing to cool the beer as compared to needing to run to cool itself, the air inside, and the beer down. You now have a reason to plug it in a day early.

Went to the LHBS earlier, and bought some supplies. Got a few grains, a few yeast varieties, and also parts for a keg jumper line.

I ended up with:

WLP English Cider Yeast
WLP Dry English Ale
Safale US-05
Black Roasted Barley
Crystal 40°L
Vienna

Went down and checked on my two carboys. They looked happy and will be enjoyed after our Hawaii trip in a few weeks.

10 gals Citra Hopped Pale Ale

Let's see. I plugged in my freezer with temp control and placed a keg of water in there after it got to temp the first time to probably cold crash my American honey wheat.

Took the fg reading on the American honey wheat and an IPA I brewed. the wheat came out to about 5.9% abv and my IPA came out to 7.2ish abv.(long story on the IPA).

Brewed the kottbusser yesterday. The airlock centerpiece pegged the cap about 7PM. Covered it with a tee shirt as it struggled to get to 64F this morning. 7:21 it started bubbling slowly. I was worried about the WL029 yeast being half frozen upon arrival with ingredients. Small starter did it's job, apparently.

Almost done making a one gallon glass conical with yeast trap collection vessel. Both my one gallon car boys are in use right now so I'm just water testing this right now with a growler. I'm normally a 10 gallon batch guy, in a 15 gallon conical (so don't F-ing judge me for being a small batch guy), but this is for making my small sample batches easier and more consistent tasting. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423789518.002061.jpg

Just waiting for a 1" diamond hole saw to arrive so I can put an airlock in the top...bottom...top...you know what I mean!

Finally got the kottbusser warm enough for the WL029 yeast to do it's machine pistol fermentation. It was tough lately to get it to 64F, then a bit above that. I guess the yeast reproduced more slowly at just below it's sweet spot?

Spent way too much at the LHBS. 70 lbs of malt (sack of pils malt plus various specialty grains), a whopping 2 oz of Magnum hops, and 5 additional fermenters. Wahoo 25 gallons of sour beer between the next two weekends...

Spent way too much at the LHBS. 70 lbs of malt (sack of pils malt plus various specialty grains), a whopping 2 oz of Magnum hops, and 5 additional fermenters. Wahoo 25 gallons of sour beer between the next two weekends...

gotta keep the sour pipeline full! Happy brewing

Two 10 gallon batches and a 5 gallon batch (5.5 technically). Got me a 5 pack of ECY20 to use. Sold off one at cost, will be splitting the other 4 between 5 fermenters.

dang, nice find on the ecy! do you typically pitch with sacch as well when you do sours?

Spent another day watching the WL029 ramping up it's munching on the kottbusser. Weeded out some nondescript recipes from BS2. Then worked on my & son's chili IIPA. Took a Irish red recipe I think I got from here & modded it from AG to PB/PM BIAB of my own. Nice red-amber color. Read the new issue of BYO & found info on souring with acidulated malt. Wish I'd read that before brewing the kottbusser, as it used a bit of it. Also found the article on chili beers informative. So my hop choices for a chili IIPA are right in there. Finishing up cleaning & putting things away from brew day.

Spent $60 at my lbhs. DME, centennial hops, three one gallon jugs, a cool swing top bottle, growler filler, and a new liquid post to replace an old one that was getting stuck.

Went by the LHBS and picked up an extract clone of Blue Pants' Naked Pig pale ale (local Alabama brewery's ale). While I was there, picked up some free bottles - got six twelve ouncers and six 22 oz bomber bottles. People drop off bottles there all the time since local recyclers don't take glass any more.

Today in the hobby I......

Bottled 5 gallons of Mocha Stout and brewed 5.5 gallons of Irish Ale.

Brewed up ten gallons of dirt wolf ipa clone.

Kicked the first keg of pale ale during chill, cleaned that keg and replaced it with some "brown trout stout"

General cleanup of brew room.

Spent $62 at Morebeer for 8ozs each of cluster/cascade/centennial hops, and mixed grains of 18#'s including Vienna/Munich/6-row in 5# sizes. These will be used in various recipes with Maris Otter.

I've got to get busy brewing!

Took wife to hospital, as she's a diabetic & was sick & weak. She's a tad better now & I've earned some shots & beers. Dang hospital chairs are hard. Back of left hip is killing me.

I did a good bit today however most of it was rearranging the garage for the new freezer. So that took a couple hours out of the day. Then I decided to sample my bourbon vanilla porter which was really good but I think needs some more time sitting in the keg.

And if you can tell I am from pittsburgh from the freezer. And that is some of my brew gear in front of it. View attachment 255565

I think a big 'ol Stillers sticker on the front of that would look nice!

Back