What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed my first batch today !

Canadian Blonde (Coopers Extract)

Figured I would make my first brew as simple as possible.

It's sitting in the sink in ice and water just waiting for it to cool enough to pitch the yeast.

I hope it turns out good. :mug:

Kegged up 10g of Orfys Hobgoblin II. Then realized I had just over a gallon left in the fermenter. Quick rush to find a few soda bottles that I had kicking around for ghetto growlers* and filled them as well using the fancy "pinched tubing" valve method. Added priming sugar directly to bottles. Better than letting that 4.5 litres go to waste.

*Ghetto Growler is a Trademark of Zepth. Free to use but give me props!

Today I finally got around to putting labels on my latest batch of Vanilla Stout.

Also kicking around ideas for the next batch, thinking of an Irish Red for St. Patrick's. Day.

Racked an IPA, off dry hops, into a keg. Siphoning went well, racking could have gone smoother, if only I had more hands.:cross:

At least, I remembered to take an FG reading.

In my brewing off season (because I'm a wuss in the cold), I make wine, Edwort's Apfelwien, and meads. I just bottled all my Christmas gift beers/cysers. But today, even though I didn't brew, I did something for beer. Check it out on this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/civil-life-brewing-behind-scenes-507509/ -- I helped produce this video for the small marketing company I work for. Really cool look at a local brewer's complete process.

I cleaned 50 bottles on my lunch break to get ready for bottling tomorrow... just needed a quick spray with the bottle washer/hot water.

Cheers to the "rinse immediately after drinking" policy.

I transferred my Baltic porter to a keg, hope to bottle it Monday or Tuesday. I had to dump a batch of porter I messed up the carbonate addition on, but have the yeast starter for a replacement batch I will brew tomorrow.

With no fermentation chamber, and tired of swapping out ice bottles, I turned off the heat in the house. Central Florida, it is staying right around 60F. Have 8 carboys going at the moment.
Oh so worth it!!

Started work on the collar for the perlicks. Stained, all but one side polyurethaned at the moment, tap mounts drilled. Later on will be a quick polyurethane job for the interior and assembly tomorrow morning.

Kegged my crystal-clear ESB and harvested the yeast (002, so the yeast cake was like thick cake batter) for the robust porter I'll do hopefully next weekend, and then worked through the water calcs for the robust porter.

Then I cleaned up a keg which held cider up until I kicked it on Thursday. Now it will hold my nieces' favorite homemade root beer when they arrive for a Christmas visit.

Brewed a robust porter for mutt wedding in March. Worried because this is the same recipe that got silver in the porter category at a competition, but I tried making it again two weeks ago and it was terrible. I think I screwed up the water and then accidentally fermented to low.

Added the raspberries to my raspberry ale. Then I had to switch to a blowoff tube for a couple hours before it calmed down enough to go back to an airlock.

I hope I am getting it cooled down fast enough. Following White Labs' instructions to start in the mid 70s made me nervous.

Writing my dates onto my physical calendar of when things need to be bottled... are done carbing....etc...

I first put it all in my phone calendar... but I like being able to look on the wall sometime and see it all laid out in front of me!

I spent time re-bookmarking brewing sites and downloading brewing software on my new desktop. then i researched for a great Hobgoblin all grain clone recipe.

Brewed a saison with Mandarina Bavaria, will ferment with 3726 since the lhbs didn't have 3711.

Bottling my Baltic porter right now, sample is great. Hides the almost 9%very well

Back