What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally took the first FG sample of the watermelon hefeweizen I brewed on 8/3. Light amber orange color, still nicely misty. FG was 1.012 from OG of 1.054. Aroma was of a very slightly sweet hefe. Flavor was a little bitey I'd say. Very little watermelon flavor on the back, & rather..."organic" at that. I'll have to see how much watermelon flavor comes out with 2.8 volumes of co2?...

Bottling a few to bring to my father when the keg kicked. On the plus side it freed up a keezer spot to drop in a naturally carbed Standard Bitter. So that's chilling right now, hopefully be ready for drinking when I get back (about 12 hours after going in).

SWMBO and I poured beers today at the 22nd annual Jefferson State Brewfest and Chili cook off! It was a total blast.. I was pouring North Coast beers! My SWMBO was pouring for American River Brewing Company. New brewery out of Rancho Cordova

Cheers
Jay

IMG_20140823_190228_601.jpg

IMG_20140823_190242_150.jpg

Yesterday I brewed a blonde for a strawberry blonde, racked another batch onto strawberries and pineapple, dry hopped zombie dust, and kicked a keg of strawberry blonde with a buddy.

Yesterday... Attended our annual joint meeting with the Fresno WortHogs at Tioga Sequoia Brewery. Because of the vagueness of AB 2609 (just passed Thursday) we weren't able to take our homebrew.

Bottled my blonde ale in record time! Took about 30 minutes total... Used wlp080 and finished at 1.004, down from 1.052 (6.1% abv).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottles my barleywine (only 15 bombers, 3 gallon batch). That means I have exactly 99 bombers in long term storage.

Bought the ingredients for a hefeweizen next weekend (a little Munich malt to add some sweetness).

And I'm mashing out an IPA.

Phew.

Since I needed to use the sani rinse on my dishwasher for a load of bottles, I washed a load of dishes by hand, then bottled Norther Brewer's Zoomin Pale Ale.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Finally bottled the Northern Brewer Kama Citra session IPA. I over sparged, then over-boiled, and ended up with about 4.25 gallons, so it came out at about 5.6% ABV... not exactly session strength.

Also, I ended up bottling 2 weeks behind schedule. Life is heavily intruding on homebrewing this summer.

Got done with all of my weekend chores, so I brewed a Cascade/Amarillo APA and dry hopped an IPA. Also, decided on a recipes for an oatmeal, chocolate, serrano stout and a pumpkin spice ale.

Because of the vagueness of AB 2609 (just passed Thursday) we weren't able to take our homebrew.

No vagueness about the matter and it pre-dates AB-2609. The CA ABC issued a FAQ earlier this year to clarify the effect of last year's AB 1425. This is their opinion from how the whole of the Alcohol code is written and not effected by AB1425 or AB2609.

To quote:
Q. Can licensees host homemade beer or wine competitions or other similar events at their licensed premises?
A. No. Business and Professions Code section 25607 prohibits licensees and any other person from having upon licensed premises any alcoholic beverages other than those which may be sold at the licensed premises pursuant to the license issued. Since homemade beer and wine may not be sold by permanent licensees, such beer or wine may not be possessed on licensed premises. This prohibition applies whether the license is a manufacturing license (such as beer manufacturer or winegrower) or a retail license (such as a bar or restaurant).

Next year's legislative battle will hopefully be over this specific set of questions - aka getting homebrew legally for the first time into licensed establishments (e.g. breweries/bars) for the express purpose of homebrew meetings/competitions/etc.

I drank beer and washed a few bottles and made a couple of bomber crates plus the hon ey do list!:D

I moved the garage fridge into the basement. It maintains temps much better now. Plus I don't have to carry the kegs as far once filled (which is done in the basement).

Yesterday I decided to try a 10gallon biab batch to split between to fermenters. I wanted one to be an American pale ale and the other half to be a farmhouse/ saison style, and I wanted to utilize the hops that I needed to harvest from my 7 vines

The neutral base I made was as follows:

16lbs 2 row
4lbs Vienna
2lbs wheat
1lb crystal 20
1lb rye

1oz magnum 15% @60
.5oz magnum 12% @30

Mashed in at 140 for 20mins
150 for 20
154 for 60

Boiled for 60 and at the end of boil I transferred half of the base into another kettle. I did a hop stand with 4ozs of fresh picked mt hood and a handful of magnum for 90 mins. This will be the farmhouse ale

The other half I did a hop stand with 4.3 ozs of centennial, 2.5ozs of cascade, 4.6 ozs of Columbus and 6.5 ozs of nugget all fresh off the vine

I then used an immersion cooler to chill the wort, and transferred into the carboys.

I pitched s05 with the pale ale and danstar belle de saison in the farmhouse ale. When I woke up 6 hrs later they were both chugging along nicely.

The hydro samples were tasty, smooth bitterness in both, the pale ale had massive pine, fruit, dank notes but just very smooth. I saved 6 ozs of fresh magnum that I am drying and will make a tea with if needed to add extra bitterness to the ales.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408970183.326553.jpg

Made some candi sugar and brewed 10gal amber alert ale. Added cocao nibs and hazelnut extract to a chocolate nut brown.

Picked up 2 outdated 5# co2 tanks and regulators, kegged an apfelwein, and made an apfelwein. Also got some connectors for commercial beers, a new tap, a shank and faucet with the co2 setup. And I set up one regulator for my kegs. *feeling productive*

Bottled my APA, hooked up with someone on craigslist and bought a brand new burner, 5 gal glass carboy, bottling bucket, bucket fermentor, hydrometer, thermometer, tubing, two cappers, caps, 1 gal glass jug and other misc stuff...all for $60. Didn't need most of it, but too good to pass up. Yeah for spouses who don't know better and just try to get rid of stuff.

Emptied my bottle tree of cleaned & dried bottles & weighed the priming sugar for my watermelon hefe. Gotta clean the spigot & bottling bucket next & sanitize. Just wanna be sure it's clean & fresh.

Yepper! Just got done a couple minutes ago. Got 55 1/2-12oz bottles of the watermelon hefe @ 2.8 Vco2. Gotta clean up after a couple beers (HB's of course!) to rest my back. Coming through the racking tube, it had a nice gold color with a blush of coral pink. Even the krausen was tinted pink. Saved the half bottle for some German sausages from that guy who has two shops full of German meats. His store & the W25th Market in Cleveland. :tank:

Dumped 13 bottles of Helles that had gone bad. They were in the bottles for about 5 months and had developed a bad taste. Hope it has to do with dead yeast and not something on the front end. I get the feeling it could be a combination of bottle carbing hot with lager yeast, dropping temperature too quickly during lagering, and age.

Picked up ingredients for the dunkelweizen I'm doing this weekend. I made Jamil Z's hefeweizen a few months ago, and it was awesome. I decided to take the same recipe, but swap the wheat in the original recipe for dark wheat and sub the pilsner for Munich. Then I can add a pinch (2 oz tops) of dehusked Carafa II to darken it up a touch.

Attended a local home brew club meeting for the first time last night. About 4 or 5 guys brought great stuff, including a spot-on Octoberfest, a really good swartz beer, and a Earl Grey/bergamot flavored golden ale. A couple of the other guys... Well, they made me realize that I have nothing to be ashamed of. :mug:

I finally built some drying racks for my hops. Got to use them this last week too. They work a lot better than air filters. The mess on the deck is from the carnage from picking. Got a total of 16.7 oz. Dry weight.

1409146817659.jpg

1409146837250.jpg

1409147000241.jpg

After talking with the brewers at Midwest on their new chat feature, I'm finding what I need to brew version 2 of my dampfbier PM recipe next week. Retiree payday Monday, so I reworked the recipe in Beersmith 2.1. Got the color right this time for the light amber/orange German example I saw. And switching from WL380 hefeweizen IV yeast to WY3638 Bavarian hefe yeast that gives the bubblegum esters this rare beer is known for. First example not bad & clear golden, but not close enough for me. Bottled the watermelon hefe yesteray, finishing clean up today. Gotta get things ready for the dampfbier re brew.

Latest posts

Back