What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went over to the LHBS and got a couple sets of keg o-rings, as well as a replacement set of silicone o-rings for my boilermaker kettle, because the original set is on borrowed time.

Then I kegged my Columbus/Chinook IPA, transferred the last quart or so of kegged root beer to a growler to make room in the keg fridge, and cleaned out the 30 feet of liquid line that connects to the root beer keg.

Gravity check, 1 day into diacetyl rest. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406983787.286630.jpg 2 more days and it goes into a keg for lagering until October. Tastes good.. A little sweet but matly otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing a Weizenbock. Biggest beer I've done in my little 36 Qt Extreme 5 Mash/Lauter Tun.

Had to make a mad dash to the LHBS to get a fermenter for the centennial blonde I'm brewing today. Forgot I can't use my carboy anymore as it's cracked, though not leaking. Brain bubbles... Lol!

My German hefe kit with WL300 yeast was ordered yesterday afternoon & got here at 11:10AM this morning! Now that's PDQ! Got their black & tan (!) logo trucker's cap too. Gotta get some spring water from Giant Eagle to hopefully brew it up tomorrow with 3C of juice from some sugar baby watermelons. This ought to be good!...:mug:

Brewed a 6 g batch of ESB w/ my daughter.
We also racked a Kolsch to secondary & out I. To cold crash @ 35F & kegged a Blonde also to cold crash.
Finally set up my new force carb system for the above.

Made the 4th and final starter step for Bells yeast harvested from Oberon bottles, to be pitched into a brown ale that we're brewing tomorrow. The Bells yeast harvesting is about the coolest thing I've done since starting this hobby and it's gone really well so far. Makes me feel all mad scientist like.

Forgot to chill a couple gallons of spring water overnight. DOOOH! Gotta wait for that to chill before brewing the watermelon hefe later. Gotta juice three sugar baby watermelons during the boil as well. I have high hopes for this one with the WL300 hefe yeast. I also have a ton of bottles from HB's to clean as well...

Looking like it's time for me to bottle up a standard bitter inspired beer, pitched with T-58 because of science! And it's a parti-gyle so I won't be terrible upset if things didn't work too well.

Forgot to chill a couple gallons of spring water overnight. DOOOH! Gotta wait for that to chill before brewing the watermelon hefe later. Gotta juice three sugar baby watermelons during the boil as well. I have high hopes for this one with the WL300 hefe yeast. I also have a ton of bottles from HB's to clean as well...

Blow off tube is a must.

Wlp300 + watermelon juice = monster fermentation.

Blow off tube is a must.

Wlp300 + watermelon juice = monster fermentation.

Thanks for that. The site did say in reviews that this one needs about 30% head space. At 19L (5.016 USG) in my Cooper's micro brew FV, it'll get that head space. But I'll definitely use a blow off rig for initial fermentation. I've also been saving those refrigerant gel packs from liquid yeast orders. I want to try strapping 3-4 of them around the FV under a tee shirt to keep the FV cool. It'll be interesting to see how well it works...

Whew, boy does my back hurt. Did dishes pots & pans for my wife. Then scrubbed a bunch of Hb bottles. Then brewed the watermelon hefe & got it in the fermenter @ 8:09PM. The stated OG range for the hefe was 1/046-1.050. With 3C of sugar baby watermelon juice, it went up to 1.054. Beers feel good right now...:mug:

Finally got around to making a starter for a batch I meant to brew 3 weeks ago. Will be brewing Tuesday and then again on Friday, both after work. Also, registered to finally take the BJCP entrance exam. As far as I know, I know my stuff and I know the guidelines so I think I'll pass it, but I'm still a bit nervous. I'll probably study for a few more days and take it midweek. And then try and get myself on a waiting list for one of the actual tasting exams within the mid-Atlantic region. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a seat in a reasonable timeframe.

Cracked open a bottle of my fireweed honey ale. It has only been in the bottle for a week but I have never been able to wait long before I try one out. I was surprised with it! It was very good and much more carbonated than I thought.

Cleaning out another pile of boxes from one side of the man cave/brewery. Got this chrome 4 shelf wire thing 5' tall & 3' wide to put more of my brewing stuff on at Home Depot today for $50. Maybe a few cases of beer as well. Got two clear & blue dunnage containers for dry brewing ingredients & grains. I'll be able to have more stuff off the floor & at an easier to reach level. I also got these Scotch brand velcro-lookin adjustable strap things to strap my frozen gel packs to the fermenters with. My son found'em around the isle from where I was someplace. got the stuff to fix the lawn mower & car tomorrow. Gonna be busy with all that & revised edition of my first book.

Tracked my ingredients to Columbus, OH via UPS! Started in Minneapolis and should be at my door tomorrow.

Finally getting around to brewing, even though I've gotta be up at 4:30ish tomorrow morning. About halfway through the mash of my Bluebird Bitter clone. Trying to be wrapped up and cleaned up by 10pm.

I used to have to leave for work at 4:30 something in the A of M der. So getting anything done by then to go to work is definitely meritorious! :mug::rockin:

Had another great Brew Day! Finally I am beginning to dial in the specifics of my system and starting to recreate past recipes with great accuracy. Today I did my third Highland Gaelic Ale Clone.

Kicked the keg of Hefeweizen and immediately tapped the keg of Columbus/Chinook IPA. It's a little early for tastes of this one, but it's pretty friggin' good so far.

Tapped the Regal Pale Ale. We loved it so much from the Big Brew we did a sequel. I highly recommend it.

Bottled a batch of Yoopers pale ale, splitting some of it to rack on beet. Also brewed a 20 minute "heffe amber" (using some left over ingred)...

Going to be buying ingredients for the sour ale and Munich helles I will be brewing this weekend. But first, oil change and inspection (two damn hours).

Picked up an oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe to dry hop my wheat IPA.

Won my new official brewday attire. It's a T-shirt that says "Certified Keg Killer" and has a cartoon executioner leaning on a keg.

The Wisconsin State Fair has a craft brewing area featuring about 12 of Wisconsin's best craft breweries. And Sierra Nevada. Anyway, if you order a beer and your pour kills the keg, you get a T-shirt. I ordered a New Glarus Totally Naked lager and boom - T-shirt.

Latest posts

Back