What Hose to use on Huge 2-4" Barb Fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogswell

Reaction score
These camlock barb fittings are available in sizes up to 4 inches.

multie.jpg

What kind of hose is used on the larger sizes, say 2 to 4 inches?

I'm asking because I'm considering using one of the larger sizes for the main line of my keg washer.

Reinforced vinyl tubing is good to ~170F and can stand decent pressure (~175psi) and is available in larger diameter (1.5” or 2” would be plenty for a keg washer).

Last edited:
Are you asking what size tubing you should use on the barb end, or are you asking what type of tubing should be used?

I was asking about type. I should have been more clear in my post as I know there are many types of tubing available at that size. The question comes in finding tubing at a reasonable cost that's heat resistant and food safe. I don't need food safe for a keg washer but it would be nice to keep all my hose food safe for use elsewhere.

I was hoping someone could point me to a 2-4" ID heat resistant, food safe hose around $1-2 per foot.

Here's a sample of the tubing I found before posting my question:

4" ID PVC "Wet-Food and Beverage Hose" atMcMaster Carr for $21 per foot

2" PVC "High-Pressure Soft Plastic and Rubber Tubing for Food, Beverage, and Dairy" at $8 per foot also at McMaster

Lowes sells PVC "EZ-FLO" hose 2" ID at $10 per foot (no mention of food safety)

I remember seeing food safe, reinforced silicone hose somewhere at a crazy $ per foot. I think it was around $40.

What kind of keg washer are you working with? 2" hose is like fire hose size.

The sump pumps and sprinkler booster pumps people use for keg cleaners don't seem to last very long. Neither type of pump is designed for high temperatures or caustic checmicals so it's no surprise.

I was looking at other kinds of pumps that are designed for temperature and chemical resistance figuring they would have a longer lifespan. Some of the pumps have 2" and larger outputs.

I was looking at other kinds of pumps that are designed for temperature and chemical resistance figuring they would have a longer lifespan. Some of the pumps have 2" and larger outputs.

I have worked at two breweries professionally (3 barrel and 50 barrel brewhouses) and even if the pump you choose has a 2" output, I would not hesitate to reduce it to 1.5". Especially if you are cleaning with fittings in place, the kegs potentially will not be able to be evacuated fast enough even at 1.5" depending on your ultimate pump/motor choice, which means you may need to reduce the output of the pump anyhow.

I was hoping someone could point me to a 2-4" ID heat resistant, food safe hose around $1-2 per foot.

1-2$ a foot for 2" or larger diameter tubing that is heat, pressure, and FDA rated just isn't realistic at normal retail prices.

Not to say you may not find a deal somewhere, but you are most likely going to have to get lucky and be patient. If you find tubing with these specs at any time "off the shelf" at that price point, let me know where you find it, as I will buy some too! Seriously.

The sump pumps and sprinkler booster pumps people use for keg cleaners don't seem to last very long. Neither type of pump is designed for high temperatures or caustic checmicals so it's no surprise.

I have a small one which has lasted a while now but is perhaps slightly underpowered. It came with 1/2", 3/4", and 1" outlets so I was wondering if you maybe had gotten a hold of something brewery sized. I use straight hot water in it which is water heater temp and I keep mine on the low side but I let the pump run for a while. But I have read others accounts about pump failures as the cheapies aren't rated always for the temps we want. Nothing wrong with getting something heavier duty.

I was just recently checking on whether PBW would be bad for greywater discharge which would touch on it being caustic to some degree. My homemade version is made from the All oxi free and clear. That's safe on skin and made to use in the washing machine, which also have cheap plastic pumps these days. I also use TSP-90 which is meant to be a more environmentally friendly version of TSP. Starsan goes on all kinds of plastic so I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you have other chemicals in mind too but to me it seems it might be more temperature related failures or just that the pumps chosen are cheaply made.

It came with 1/2", 3/4", and 1" outlets so I was wondering if you maybe had gotten a hold of something brewery sized.

I was looking at all kinds of industrial pumps but not brewery pumps.

I was just recently checking on whether PBW would be bad for greywater discharge which would touch on it being caustic to some degree. My homemade version is made from the All oxi free and clear. That's safe on skin and made to use in the washing machine, which also have cheap plastic pumps these days. I also use TSP-90 which is meant to be a more environmentally friendly version of TSP. Starsan goes on all kinds of plastic so I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you have other chemicals in mind too but to me it seems it might be more temperature related failures or just that the pumps chosen are cheaply made.

I use PBW and StarSan. PBW is alkaline and StarSan is acidic. Both are unfriendly to plain iron and steel.

Back