What heat does wild yeast die at ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thiessenace

Reaction score
I am currently heating my cider that I just bought from the cider mill and i am Trying to heat the cider and kill off the wild yeast. What temp does that happen at?

I believe it is 165ºF. Once at that temp, you don't have to hold it there very long..just minutes. I bet there are several other posts on here on the subject though if you do a little searching.

You could also just use campden tablets to kill off the wild yeast instead of pasteurizing.

what is your goal in killing off all the wild yeast, are you trying to keep unfermented juice around for a few weeks? otherwise it's really not necessary. overkill, literally.

I wanted to rid of cider from all the wild yeasts. I ended up boiling my cider that i got from the cider mill. I am making hard cider with it but next time i will be using tablets next time forsure. It took way to long to cool down before i could pitch the yeast. Thanks for all the help. It was useful.

Boiling it was not the right thing to do, unless you don't mind hazy, cloudy ciders. And the possibility of a "cooked apple" flavor. If the cider you bought was pasteurized or if it had preservatives added, then the wild yeasts are already gone, and you just wasted a lot of your time doing an unnecessary step. Even if you had pure, unpasteurized, preservative-free juice, you still don't want to ever boil it. You might be able to get away with heating it (not sure what temp) for a certain length of time to kill the yeast. Or, just go for the campden tablets.

Yeah. I realised my mistake after. I am hoping that the apple taste wont be affected. I got the juiced crushed nothing was added to it what so ever. That is why i ended up boiling. But like i said ill be using tablets next time i make a batch of cider. How many days earlier do i add the crushed tablets before i can work with the must?

thiessenace said:
Yeah. I realised my mistake after. I am hoping that the apple taste wont be affected. I got the juiced crushed nothing was added to it what so ever. That is why i ended up boiling. But like i said ill be using tablets next time i make a batch of cider. How many days earlier do i add the crushed tablets before i can work with the must?

Ah, gotcha. Well, I've read 24-48 hours after adding the campden, but i haven't made cider that wasn't pasteurized.

Back