What has happened to men?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still waiting to hear more about this...

"I remember going into an apartment to do a renovation for some Japanese girls who were going to school nearby." :(

yeah, can we get a new thread with this story? it sounds hot (pics or it didn't happen)

I had to chuckle when I saw "use a sewing machine" on that list.

I've been sewing pretty much my entire life, and have a fair amount of skill with a machine... everything from quilts to clothing and costumes. Yeah, some of the more "manlier" men I know scoff at my sewing (until they need something stitched up... lol), but as I point out to them.. it's just another power tool. :)

I'll confess that I skipped 90% of this thread, there's just a lot to go through. But here's the thing, I live and work in the Castro district of San Francisco, with my wife. I'm a dude, she's a woman. I make pizza for a living, and I work very hard. I can work on our giant oven at work, I landscape our yard, and I for damn sure am not a "pussified male." But a lot of the gay men who come into my pizzeria aren't either. They might carry a purse, but I would be reluctant to fight them, and I'm 6'4", 210 lbs.

What's at issue seems to be whether a person can take care of business and not call a repairman when their light bulbs burn out, and I don't think carrying a purse is an indication one way or the other. Some of the biggest pussies I've ever met were farmers back in the Midwest where I grew up who suddenly became frightened angry dogs every time they saw a man act effeminately.

I skipped a lot, like I said, so forgive me if this point was made.

But to the core of it, people as a whole do seem to rely less on themselves and more on someone with their name stitched on their shirt. But when things go badly and I have to fight for survival, I know I can, so who cares about other people?

actually it will be a good thing when the zombie apocalypse happens. then i know i can at least take some of them out. i'll have to make alliances with the males who are manlier than me though.

Marcello's. The best pizza place you'll ever drunkenly stumble into in my neighborhood. I have to (sheepishly) admit there's better pizza in the city, but we make a mean NYC style pie, and the only better places around do more of an old world style.

You really want to know what happened to men? Turn on your TV. Half the damn shows on network television are about dancing, singing, or complaining. Who decided it was a good idea to have our NFL heroes "dance with the stars"? I don't want to see that $h!t. Thanks a lot fox, now i hate Jerry Rice. Television has made society soft and melodramatic. Every time someone feigns crying just to get attention, i want to push them into a volcano instead. Oh you didn't win American Idol? Good, b/c now you can stop crying and go back to being a man. You watch the super bowl this year? Freaking black eyed peas on the half time show, bastardizing a true american sport and destroying our children's sense of what is normal. b/c normal isn't some jacknugget wearing a half plastic shield on his face; we should be thinking about football, but instead, we're subjected to something that makes us feel like sissies inside. the half time show should be ron swanson sitting on the 50 yard line, smoking a cigar and drinking scotch for 15 minutes.

yes, i ranted, i hate everyone singing and dancing all the damn time

i can relate to that. but i think the half time show should be ME sitting on the 50, smoking and drinking scotch and kicking ass. i'll fight all takers untill its time for the game to start back. least bloody man wins (unless the bloodiest man is covered with blood from the other man. then most bloody man wins).

McMalty said:
You really want to know what happened to men? Turn on your TV. Half the damn shows on network television are about dancing, singing, or complaining. Who decided it was a good idea to have our NFL heroes "dance with the stars"? I don't want to see that $h!t. Thanks a lot fox, now i hate Jerry Rice. Television has made society soft and melodramatic. Every time someone feigns crying just to get attention, i want to push them into a volcano instead. Oh you didn't win American Idol? Good, b/c now you can stop crying and go back to being a man. You watch the super bowl this year? Freaking black eyed peas on the half time show, bastardizing a true american sport and destroying our children's sense of what is normal. b/c normal isn't some jacknugget wearing a half plastic shield on his face; we should be thinking about football, but instead, we're subjected to something that makes us feel like sissies inside. the half time show should be ron swanson sitting on the 50 yard line, smoking a cigar and drinking scotch for 15 minutes.

This is, in many ways, the antithesis of what the majority of posts here seem to be trying to convey - the idea that to be a "man", you have to be obsessed with projecting an almost cartoon-like image of "manliness".

What are people even doing on a homebrew site then? If that is what makes a man, every beer-related post would look something like:

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis."

I sometimes carry a Timbuktu messenger bag. It the same brand that many a bike messenger have battle tested on the streets of Big City, USA. It's the perfect size for a few magazines. I landed on it crashing a skateboard once. It came out better than I did. I also enjoy ballroom dancing. Tell me I'm not a man. I'm 6' 230lbs of man and I smell like one.

Im designing a brew that smells like my armpits how manly is that huh?! Im dry hopping with onions, and giving it lots of light during fermentation. Does anyone want to work out a trade for some?

I'm with McMalty.

:mug:

It's pretty sad when I was planning this week's camping trip I couldn't get more than 2 other guys to come. Everyone else I asked refused to go unless there was bathrooms, a shower, and electricity. Pu&&ies! When the sh*t starts flying, they'll all run to me though and overwhelm my defenses and supplies.

I'm with McMalty.

It's pretty sad when I was planning this week's camping trip I couldn't get more than 2 other guys to come. Everyone else I asked refused to go unless there was bathrooms, a shower, and electricity. Pu&&ies! When the sh*t starts flying, they'll all run to me though and overwhelm my defenses and supplies.

Ever considered the possibility that when guys think about going to the woods with you they imagine the sound of banjos in their heads? :cross:

Please. If you wanted to really talk about being a man, you wouldn't be talking about that ***** sport of football. Bunch of pansies running around with helmets and pads on.

George Carlin refered to it as" The Continued pussification of the American Male". and I think it is getting worse. I work in New York city or as I like to refer to it " freak central" and I swear men have started to carry purses! Not breif cases or computer bages, purses. I'm not homophobic, these are straight men.

There are certain skills I believe every man should know, Mechanics Illustrated listed 100 of them and I'll bet alot of these guys can't do 2.

Example) I have a tenant that asked if I could make the domestic water hotter. No problem "I'll walk you through it over the phone". Not possible, he coudn't find the red dial on the gas valve. So I had to drive 32 miles, pay $12 in tolls to turn a dail a qaurtet turn to the left. While I was there he asked me to change a light bulb. A FRIGGIN LIGHT BULB! Was not embarssed in the least while his wife looked on.

I used to do a lot of service work and was amazed at what people would have me do. Changing light bulbs were in the top 25%. No need for a long ladder, just a light bulb change standing on a step stool. All because their father didn't take the time to show them basic skills.

I remember going into an apartment to do a renovation for some Japanese girls who were going to school nearby. While I was there, I noticed they had a respectably stocked tool box and a Dewalt drill. When I asked about it they told me their father had given it to them and taught them how to repair certain things that might go wrong in an apartment. Amazing.

I think this is all part of the yuppy effect that occurs in big cities.

I agree with the camping... the best ever campsites around where I live are at Usal State Park, its about 15 miles out a dirt road. The camp sites are about an acre each. There are a couple portapotties out there but I wouldn't go in one. Gotta pack in your own everything. And the roads too tight to get trailors or RVs out there. Thing is, its usually only my family that goes because I can't get ANYONE out there. Geesus not even my wife complains...

I'm with McMalty.

your friends wouldn't go camping? they are pussies. me and my friends are trying to plan sometime where we go out in the woods with just a knife and one of those magnesium bars (and beers) and stay for a week if we can. i just have to figure out a week where my wife will let me escape my duties (kids).

none of your friends ever taken a **** outside? its liberating

your friends wouldn't go camping? they are pussies. me and my friends are trying to plan sometime where we go out in the woods with just a knife and one of those magnesium bars (and beers) and stay for a week if we can. i just have to figure out a week where my wife will let me escape my duties (kids).

none of your friends ever taken a **** outside? its liberating

This is serious. Right up my alley...

I think it's sad when guys try to give excuses like not having a bathroom, no running water, etc. to avoid camping or backpacking trips. The real reason: they're scared. You'd expect those excuses to come more from women; not that every women wouldn't go, but generally speaking.

This is serious. Right up my alley...

I think it's sad when guys try to give excuses like not having a bathroom, no running water, etc. to avoid camping or backpacking trips. The real reason: they're scared. You'd expect those excuses to come more from women; not that every women wouldn't go, but generally speaking.

Or maybe they just don't like camping.

yeah, maybe they'd rather stay at home and curl each others hair and play dress up. then later they can trade purses and lend each other tampons

yeah, maybe they'd rather stay at home and curl each others hair and play dress up. then later they can trade purses and lend each other tampons

Now you are just being obnoxious. It's only camping fer chrissakes. Hanging out in the woods with a bunch of guys getting to "Know" each other.

i am, but isn't that what this thread is about?

yeah, camping sounds manly, woods and beards and ****ting outside. but when you think about it like four or five guys hanging out by themselves in a secluded area for a long period of time it does sound pretty gay.

^^^^I sure hope this isn't what has become of men. To revert back to a 6 year old boy who longs to not shower for days and **** in the woods and says things like the above would be unfortunate.

i am, but isn't that what this thread is about?

yeah, camping sounds manly, woods and beards and ****ting outside. but when you think about it like four or five guys hanging out by themselves in a secluded area for a long period of time it does sound pretty gay.

We did it a lot in the marine corps - it's called a fireteam. Wasn't too gay. I woke up in a fighting hole with a big f'ing snake once. That was gay.

Please tell me someone else has seen the Simpson episode where Homer takes Bart on different manly adventures to keep him from becoming gay. Tooo funny.

you can make fun of me, but don't make fun of ****ting in the woods. ****ting in the woods is awesome. (plus you just called me six...name calling is for six year olds :p)

Please tell me someone else has seen the Simpson episode where Homer takes Bart on different manly adventures to keep him from becoming gay. Tooo funny.

Of course.

"We work hard. We play hard."

The%20Simpsons%2008-15%20Homer%27s%20Phobia%20054_0001.jpg

We did it a lot in the marine corps - it's called a fireteam. Wasn't too gay. I woke up in a fighting hole with a big f'ing snake once. That was gay.

Nobody is saying that camping is gay. However, gay people also do it. The whole camping issue is as unrelated to homosexuality as purse carrying. It's really not that difficult to understand.

What makes something "gay"? What's the difference between camping with some friends vs playing video games with them all night, or going out drinking, or whatever?

I don't think doing something makes you "gay" unless that activity itself is inherently homosexual.

rycov said:
you can make fun of me, but don't make fun of ****ting in the woods. ****ting in the woods is awesome. (plus you just called me six...name calling is for six year olds :p)

Yes... Particularly enjoyed the carpenter ant mound I didn't notice while leaning up against a tree when I was in scouts.. That was a learning experience....lol

Wrong. rycov said "when you think about it [camping] does sound pretty gay". I responded to that.

i didn't call it gay. i said it SOUNDED gay. and i don't think you called it gay either. i guess it could be gay if the campers were out there getting gay with each other (broke back mountain?). but i think usually its just getting away from civilization for a while. its nice.

Yes... Particularly enjoyed the carpenter ant mound I didn't notice while leaning up against a tree when I was in scouts.. That was a learning experience....lol

sorry about your nuts! sounds awful.

to everybody, i hope none of you are reading to much into what i'm saying. i don't actually think any thing makes you un-manly (except not taking care of/ doing whats best for your family). i'm just bored as **** at work. for the record i don't dislike gays.

i'm just bull ****ting (it is in the drunken ramblings forum), we're all friends here.

Back