What has happened to men?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are some pretty manly DIY communication skills out there... Bar fight resolution, lie detection, best-man speech giving, and so on. "Don't call in the hostage negotiator honey, I'm going to do it myself."

bottlebomber said:
As a machinist of 12 years, I know in our shop (modern cnc) we can scarcely find anyone willing to train. Oh, and, half of my friends went through various universities around the country, and are still struggling to pay their loans off meanwhile making significantly less than I do. If there's a real legitimate reason for going to school, such as a particular career to be pursued, that's great. But most of these people just went to college because their HS counselors/parents told them its the thing to do, but now they are drifiting around doing stuff like teaching developmentaly disabled kids, or working for Social Servicies. There degrees are earning them nothing.

We have the same problem here. Everybody seems to want to work retail. Getting your hands dirty doesn't seem to be something anybody wants to do.

Great_Neck_Brewer said:
If you're not a vet, you wouldn't understand

Not a vet, but I have many friends that are. And they've all been thanked for their service.

I have a buddy and I doubt he could use a hammer. It always bugged me a bit that he had no interest in knowing how to repair anything.

Many years back I visited him in Texas. He rear ended a lady and ended up with a small leak in his radiator. He couldn't get his car to a shop for a while and still needed to get to work. Before I left I showed him how to top off the radiator with water and told him to check it before each trip. So he calls me a few days later and tells me he blew up the engine. Laziness! Plus his insurance paid for a new engine so he learned nothing.

47 posts in and still no mention of manly virtues such as being supportive and loving to family, reliable and trustworthy to friends, chivalrous or any of that other good stuff that anyone can be while holding a purse.

47 posts and still no more mention of this..."I remember going into an apartment to do a renovation for some Japanese girls who were going to school nearby." :( :confused:

I blame the parents :)

I had this neighbor years ago who used to get his mom (and her friends) to drive down from a neighboring state to paint his condo. I actually painted one of the rooms for him.

Does he not know how to paint? I dunno. I just think he couldn't be bothered.

My current boyfriend is a fairly lazy guy. He'll do the mechanical things that he enjoys doing like tinkering with his car and motorcycle, but it takes a lot of nagging to get him to do the small repairs around here that the landlord doesn't take care of.

Hell, I ended up replacing the latch on the back screen door because I got tired of waiting for him to do it.

Can't fathom one of the metro guys incapable or unwilling to change their own light bulbs. I'd probably laugh at them.

Basic skills every adult should have (in my opinion) - change light bulbs, replace the air filter on your car, replace a shower head, replace a toilet seat, connect basic home electronic components, paint a room without getting paint everywhere else but on the walls, hang pictures on the wall(s), assemble cheap particle board furniture... and be able to boil water (basic stove usage 101) or use a barbeque grill to cook meat to where it is no longer dangerous to eat. I would also say that it's extremely useful in this day and age to know how to obtain, install, and use anti-virus software for your computer (but then again, I'm a tech so it doesn't really count).

Or you could just use a mac.

Even though I am the go-to flag folder for my "office", and the guy who does the raising and lowering to half-mast whenever needed, I definitely don't think flag folding is an important skill for a man to have.

Thank you. I'm not a vet but a do appreciate what they have done. A fellow mechanic is a 1st Sergeant Army NG. Twenty some odd years of service. 2 tours in Iraq. A kid two doors down grew up into a young man who would guard the tomb of the unknown before doing a tour in Afghanistan. Add in the many guys that I went through high school with that have been or are currently overseas and you get a man who cries during the national anthem and appreciates a tightly folded flag.

I'm plenty patriotic and I have nothing but respect for our military but it doesn't mean I think flag folding is a skill every "man" should have. It's not indicative of disrespect.

OK, I had to go read the list and happy to say I got 98 out of 100, then found I am a complete failure because I can't bench press my own weight. Thats actually because I trashed both shoulders loading a 150 lb battery into a cabinet, so maybe not that bad. I can still handle the dead lift and squat well beyond the requirements so I am ok.
I do own a sewing machine and will someday learn to use it,

WTF is a French Knife?

i was wondering the same thing. googled it, apparently it's snob for "chef's knife"

apparently it's snob for "chef's knife"

Not exactly. Different types of chef's knives will be different in shape, balance, and blade angle from one another. The French variety is just one of them. They aren't terribly popular in the US, at least in their traditional form. German knives are most widely used here, and probably Japanese interpretations of western knives after that.

GuldTuborg said:
Not exactly. Different types of chef's knives will be different in shape, balance, and blade angle from one another. The French variety is just one of them. They aren't terribly popular in the US, at least in their traditional form. German knives are most widely used here, and probably Japanese interpretations of western knives after that.

Yup. Henkel and Wüstof (sp) are 2 popular German knives in the US. My henkels were made in Italy though.

I wonder how many of the items on the list people think they get, but really don't.

The French chef's knife is a really good example... very few people know how to "properly" use one (for instance... it's not even really supposed to be gripped by the handle), but I'd wager that almost everybody thinks they do.

My Henkels and Wusthofs were both made in Germany, but I think the difference is in blade angle. I think the German knifes have a 60 degree blade angle, but I noticed my moms Shun knives have a flat side making it a 30 degree blade. Sharper but less durable id guess

I am a total amateur chef so I probably don't know how to hold a french knife properly but I think it's more important knowing how to dice and slice and whatnot then how to use a specific knife. I was on a cooking board for a little while but quit reading because all they wanted to talk about is their 1000 dollar knives. How about let's chat about food a little bit?

I wonder how many of the items on the list people think they get, but really don't.

The French chef's knife is a really good example... very few people know how to "properly" use one (for instance... it's not even really supposed to be gripped by the handle), but I'd wager that almost everybody thinks they do.

This. You see it time and time again in just about any topic. Sure, there is more than one way to skin a cat, but frankly, the people doing it by looking for the zipper on a live tiger are simply not doing it right.....But they will swear they KNOW! ;)

who cares? a real man would be eating **** off of a knife that looks like crocodile dundee's knife

rycov said:
who cares? a real man would be eating **** off of a knife that looks like crocodile dundee's knife

I think some people are wrongly assuming that the list is about things that make you a "man", due to the attention it's received in this thread, despite the fact it doesn't actually make any such claim.

not the thread, but the list. things a man should know. also i was kidding, don't take it personally. i actually enjoy cooking and i don't think its unmanly, and sadly don't eat **** off a knife like croc dundee's:(

rycov said:
not the thread, but the list. things a man should know. also i was kidding, don't take it personally. i actually enjoy cooking and i don't think its unmanly, and sadly don't eat **** off a knife like croc dundee's:(

Nothing to take personally :mug:

emjay said:

If it were not meant to be used, why the F did they put a handle on it? No two people will use a tool the exact same way. I am good with knives. No one is going to tell me how to properly hold it.

bad coffee said:
http://0.tqn.com/d/culinaryarts/1/0/g/8/-/-/back0.jpg

That's the way I hold it, and believe it or not, I do use the handle!

Isch, if you're not holding the knife that way, try it sometime. You'll be amazed at how much more control you have.

B

I just pulled out my favorite knife because I wasn't sure how I held it. I pinch it between my thumb and middle finger and place my index finger on top of the blade. I guess I really don't use the handle but for balance.

My point is that no one taught me this but it is comfortable for ME and I bet I could chop circles around most folks. I will try your grip but it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks ;)

http://0.tqn.com/d/culinaryarts/1/0/g/8/-/-/back0.jpg

That's the way I hold it, and believe it or not, I do use the handle!

Isch, if you're not holding the knife that way, try it sometime. You'll be amazed at how much more control you have.

B

Ha! That looks like a Henckles knife! I have had my set since 1994. I bought them in Germany and use them almost daily. ...and yep, that's how you hold a knife.

Interestingly enough, I've had the debate about 'what makes a man' with family and friends before. Near the top of my list? Learn to cook, and learn to cook well. For most of my adult life, the kitchen has been my domain. I want my sinks cleaned a certain way, I want my countertops to be laid out a certain way. I want my cabinets stocked my way. The rest of the family can have the rest of the house. :)

I come from a big family and have already notified my brothers and sisters that when it comes time to step out on their own, my nephews are all getting decent knife blocks as housewarming gifts...

Its interesting that 40-50 years ago, men didn't step foot in the kitchen and cooking was woman's work.

Fast forward to today and we have a discussion (by whom I presume to be men) on how to correctly hold a chefs knife and how they like to keep their kitchens organized in a certain way.

How times change. Interesting that we still like to draw lines in the sand about what makes a man (what type of bag a man carries, how many check-offs on the popular mechanics list), but give it 40-50 years and we can't even find the patch of sand, let alone the line we drew.

Things on the list that I cannot do.

Perform CPR
Remove blood stains from clothes
Not sure what a french knife is, but could probably use it
Change a diaper
Make a drum tight bed

I have always upgraded the house, repaired cars, etc... because I knew that I could save a lot of money and do a better job than a contractor. Now days I let me son do the mechanical work on the cars.

After years of thinking about it I have decided that a real man does not do any of that stuff. A real man pays someone to do it all so that he can spend his time increasing his holdings/wealth. A real man should pay someone to change a light bulb because he knows that in the 10 minutes that it takes to change the bulb he can make 10 times the amount that he is paying the fool doing the labor.

Its interesting that 40-50 years ago, men didn't step foot in the kitchen and cooking was woman's work.

Fast forward to today and we have a discussion (by whom I presume to be men) on how to correctly hold a chefs knife and how they like to keep their kitchens organized in a certain way.

How times change. Interesting that we still like to draw lines in the sand about what makes a man (what type of bag a man carries, how many check-offs on the popular mechanics list), but give it 40-50 years and we can't even find the patch of sand, let alone the line we drew.

I decided it was time to step into the kitchen the day I got tired of eating b!tch rabbit food . . . enjoy your salad and dont forget your satchel

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
If it will put an end to this thread, I'll just go ahead and admit that I'm a 12 year old girly with a crush on Beiber.

I admire your courage, sir.

Err... missy.

I decided it was time to step into the kitchen the day I got tired of eating b!tch rabbit food . . . enjoy your salad and dont forget your satchel

How come you didn't just tell your wife to get in the kitchen and make you a F*cking steak?

I get it, you only cook "manly food"...lolz

Well...I cut the tip of my left pointer finger off 2 days ago...chopping up parsley no less. Came down on my fingernail when rocking the blade back and forth cutting the parsley and it went right through my fingernail like it was butter. I saved the tip of my finger and it has dried out and is on my kitchen table for when my wife returns from MN the middle of this month.

Back