What happened to the oak!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkirkland

Reaction score
I added oak chips to the secondary. I did the Last part of secondary in the refrigerator and I got no oak flavor in the finished beer.I added 1oz French chips per 5g for 30 days or so. I did however noticed the chips dropped into the yeast cake... Should I add oak at warmer temps? Anyone else have this same experience with adding oak to cold temp. Thanks for any an all help!

HB on IPhone

Not toasted! I doubt even if they were,the chips ended up in the cake! Killing all oak characters!

You seem pretty quick to convict the yeast there, and I'm not sure it's even a major factor. Next time, use toasted oak and hang the chips in a bag?

Not true! i racked on sour yeast 1 1/2 yrs ago there's a ton of yeast at the bottom of Carboy , the chips were completely covered in the cake. as I stated, when I added the chips the beer was at 42-48f... My only question was is it because I added at colder temps that my chips fell to the bottom and never had time to "oak" the beer... Again NO oak flavor .... NONE! lol

Latest posts

Back