What else is homemade at your house??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bread, wine, cider, beer, jerky, pickles, bacon, Canadian bacon, fresh sausages, duck confit, stock, bbq sauces, smoked meats of all varieties, vanilla extract, most things kitchen/food related, raise chickens for eggs and the wife is itching bad to start a garden again.

We are amature DIYers too, we hire out what we know we can't do.

yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup, yup
I make/grow my own stuff for a couple reasons.
1. because I know where it is coming from and what is in it and on it...so much of things we consume these days is crap so I want to make my own crap :)

2. because I enjoy it just like wolverine brewer said.

About a year or two ago I stopped watching TV except maybe 2-3 hours a week? Stopped playing video games...now my only hobby that is digital is looking on the computer for information about beer brewing or self-reliance!

dang! if i was thinking ahead, i would have pulled out a round steak from the freezer to make some jerky. that would have topped things off this weekend since i've already made homemade ice cream last night and some homebrew this morning. oh well, guess i can do the jerky next weekend.

I do compost and grow some of my own vegetables. I do make meatballs from scratch.
Oh yeah, that beer thingy…
I make many a meal from scratch and many using store bought stuff.
When I was a kid and couldn’t afford new GI Joe stuff (for the 12" GI Joe (not that size matters...) The GI Joe Jeep had just come out; early 1970’s), I made my own uniforms.
I’m an electrician, so I create my own electricity (or not).
Bad Coffee, where are you in the city that you have chickens? I spent some of my best mis-spent years in Queens (where I grew up). Any live poultry was either involved in fighting or a fresh poultry market…
Ground telescope glass by hand??? I scooped up sand from the beach and made my own glass, then made a telescope (See “The most interesting Man in the World”)!
I used to grow my own herbs, but then the cops started nosing around

I do beer, jerky, yogurt, cheese, bread and dried fruit. Also, I grow herbs and make AWESOME compost. Sadly, my gardening sucks (besides the herbs). My SWMBO has a fantastic garden, and makes all manner of crafty-type gifts. Just got back from a family vacation where my brother brought homemade bacon, sausage, and smoked/cured salmon.

Great thread, how I missed it before, I don't know.

Our list keeps growing, and for us it is also a quality thing.

Mayonnaise ( with our backyard chicken eggs )
Butter
Yogurt
Breads (Pizza/loafs/rolls/bagels)
we grind our own meat (burgers/meatloaf/meatballs)
roast our own coffee
Stock
Sauces (Pesto/Pasta/BBQ)
Home garden and compost

I was impresses with the sausages posted earlier.
We've thought about doing that ourselves, but getting the seasoning and the right cuts just right seemed daunting.

it's a busy weekend as far as homemade things go for my house. yesterday and into today, i did a round or two on homemade beef jerky (weight of 2 lbs worth before the meat hit the dehydrator). now, just a few minutes ago, i finished a batch of homebrew. once i have things cleaned up, my wife wants to start in on a batch of spaghetti sauce. :mug:

just thought of something. i wonder if anyone has a good recipe for homemade applesause?
my great-grandmother use to make her own applesauce and it was awesome. it's been awhile since i had homemade applesauce since my great-grandma has been in a nursing home now for about 6 years or so.

almost every thing I eat.
the only bread is spent grain ( pizza also)
I make honey, veggies, fruit, nuts, cheese, yogurt, ham, bacon,
the only meat I have is venison and feral hog

Thinking about getting a cow, and a pig

Bath soap, laundry soap, candles, wild game, canned game, smoked game, smoked trout, fishing rods (side business), Pens, fishing rod grips and reel seat inserts, fishing flies, bullets, bullet lube, ammunition, rendered tallow for soap and bullet lube, berry bushes and vegetable garden, preserved herbs, dried and frozen morels, beer, wine, ice cream, tabasco/chili sauce (fermented) That might be it.

Bread, wine, cider, beer, jerky, pickles, bacon, Canadian bacon, fresh sausages, duck confit, stock, bbq sauces, smoked meats of all varieties, vanilla extract, most things kitchen/food related, raise chickens for eggs and the wife is itching bad to start a garden again.

We are amature DIYers too, we hire out what we know we can't do.

I love confit. I get a lot of my buddies to give me their turkey, duck, and even goose hindquarters and confit them. Most hunters seem to discard them without knowing how awesome they can be. I've told them of confit and how to do it, but they don't seem to want to.

If you like confit and havent had it, pork carnitas are similar. Awesome stuff!

Jerky, veggies, beef, chicken, eggs, and I butcher all my own animals. Just started my fall garden.

cheese, bread, biltong (jerky), bacon,...............oh ..and some BEER! (and by some I mean alot!)

We challenged ourselves to go without buying bread for a month, that was back in March and we haven't looked back since. I started looking up purchasing flour in 50# sacks yesterday and we buy yeast in 2# bricks, I'd say we are committed.

We do homemade sausage, some badass pasta sauces pretty much every meal is "from scratch. SWMBO even freezes homemade "hot pockets" to grab for lunch that are far and away superior to the store bought stuff.

95% of the time only beer...but reading this thread on Monday inspired me so I ordered some new bugs and made my first brie wheels last night, fingers crossed they come out edible!

We make beer and wine. Garden for veggies and some fruits and herbs. With that we make salsa, sauces, jams and other storables. We raise our own beef (Wellington and Porter this year) and intend to do a few pigs next year. I would love to get chickens, but the wife hates them. We hunt.
We build our own furniture, for the most part. I like to restore vehicles, not daily drivers, but the fun stuff. All the home project are done by us. (Currently doing the bathroom) I do have a friend doing the plumbing. (I'm not that great at it)
Anything that we can try we will. It is so nice to have the internet. Without it, I would never have tried many of the things that I do. This website and others have provided both the encouragement and help necessary to complete the projects I have started.

I make beer, I make children, I make projects. (Notice I said make and not complete). Currently working on making muscles and health :D My wife just started making blankets and burp clothes and I suspect we'll give the garden another try (epic fail last year) in a year or so. Cheese kits are waiting in the fridge for a source for raw milk, and I've done dog treats with spent grain.Self sufficiency is a great thought, but it's hard to do with regular jobs during the day.

Besides brewing am really into Charcuterie that and cheese making and pretty much anything that has to with food. I guess am a foodie at heart!!!

Beer, Cider, Mead, Bread, Sauerkraut, jellies/jams

Grow: Typical garden fare, including cayennes that get fermented, ground in sauces, chopped into relishes. Hops included, just got 1st harvest dried out.

Next project on deck: Cheddar Cheese and Pastrami, never cured meat or made cheese before. Bratwurst will also be in there, depending on available space in the chamber with the pastrami and cheddar.

Wife brought home chickens from the university two weeks ago, so I started building a chicken coop. Turns out they were broilers, not layers, so she took them back. Chickens are now on the shelf again, until I "finish" the coop.

if making 11 quarts of homemade spaghetti sauce last weekend wasn't enough, swmbo want to make another 10-12 quarts this weekend. we're looking at about 20-22 quarts which will last us about 1 1/2 years. :mug:

I've got a fresh batch of Kraut stinking up the basement right now. I plant a big garden, so just about all our veggies are home grown and canned/frozen for the year.

I built most of my brewing equipment from parts, I do 99% of my home repairs. built decks, do most electrical, plumbing etc. Ive built some of my furniture. Have a small garden, grow my own herbs, some peppers, tomatoes. Sweet corn is so prevalent here its not worth the time or space to grow it myself. Brew my own beer and wine. My mom has sewn and quilts, so there is tons of stuff around she has made, drapes, blankets, quilts, towels, aprons, etc.

We used to have a big garden at the old house we sold to build this one. Fenced in to keep the deer,etc out. Coons,rabbits,etc learned the hard way. Had 3 apple trees,red delicious,royal gala,& this granny smith/winesap lookin bugger. Those green apples popped when you bit them,juice runnin down your chin. They'd ripen till halloween or so. Grew a few different hot peppers,popcorn,hunted & fished. We had 3 or 4 different kinds of wood from trimming the large trees for the smoker & woodstove in the living room. If the darn basement wouldn't have been so far below the water table,we'd still be there. Half acre lot. We used to can a lot too. I miss making apple butter,hot sauce,drying cayenne & New Mexico chilies strung all around the kitchen near the ceiling. Wonderful smell. And her mulberry jam was like sweet dessert wine. We went picking strawberries,cherries,bluberries as a family outing for the freezer. My double French loaf pan got tossed into the basement & it flooded,so that's gone. I loved making braided French bread loaves with poppyseed.
Gardening is tough around here. Too many deer,coyotes,ducks,& damn starlings. Stupid birds here snip off plants as soon as they come out of the ground. And the rabbits & ducks...oh man,I wish this was the country. A 22 with CB caps would clean up. My long barreled 22 semi auto with peepsights & minimags for the deer. Yummy in the bbq pit!
Anyway,I'm getting back into baking with this spent grain stuff. Man,the flavor possibilities with different grain combos is just farout! With my bad L2 disc & hips,& her pranged leg,it's a lot harder to get around. & I've got indoor house repairs & brewery expansions to tend to. Going to slowly get back into things again. I think we're about ready too. Saves money as well. And I def wanna try making kim chi...looks good. We also want the kitchenaid mixer with all the bells & whistles to make our own sausage. I miss Hungarian & Slovak sausage. I wanna try making German sausage too,since my family is from Upper Bavaria. Might just have to make some more spent grain bread tomorrow...

I do all of our stocks/broths, sauces (pizza, BBQ, marinara), kombucha, some veggies and raise chickens for eggs and meat.
I'm aspiring to do cheese, cider and my own aged sausages. Also, just about everything mentioned in previous posts is on the 'some day' list.

we make...
Beer
Dog food
Roast coffee
Grow mushrooms, hops, veggies
Laundry detergent
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Bug spray (for garden and personal use)
Cleaning products
Shampoo, conditioner
Almond milk
Sprouts
Koi pond with waterfall
In progress - Wireless RC pellet rifle with nightvision and wireless video feed to livingroom flatscreen (rat control)

Beer
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Celery, Garlic, Onion salts
BBQ Rubs
BBQ Sauces
Marinades
Infused olive oils

Habaneros
Jalepenos
Mexibelles
Cajun Belles
Tomatoes

I could go on and on.

Smoked meats, injections, sauces, marinades, spice rubs, chili, bread, pizza dough, wine, and I do all my own home repairs with the exception of major plumbing and electric. Most meals are scratch made, but I do not have the space to grow my own veggies or anything really with the heat out here. I do use family members' citrus fruit to make wine regularly and I reload my own ammunition.

Best thread ever.

Nothing too impressive here in the city:
-Modest veggie garden
-Herbs (basil, mint, rosemary)
-Pesto
-Sushi (surprisingly easy)
-Chicken stock (debone chicken thighs, save them, and boil them up)
-Most sauces, pizza or otherwise
-Bread (awesome crusty bread recipe)
-Tortillas/flatbread/na'an
-Pizza dough
-Crochet blankets (wife)
-Wine
-Limoncello (from vodka)
-Amaretto (this weekend)
-Used to fletch/tip my own arrows
-Electric Drum Shells (in progress)

Can't wait to move to the country. My family does soap, laundry detergent, firewood, sauerkraut, venison, fish, jerky, pasta, build/fix everything, the whole bit...that's the life :rockin:

Too many things to list... Notable things I make from scratch, now and then:

- hot lime pickle (got a 40 lime batch finishing up right now)

- blood orange marmalade

- cider, wine

- chocolate pudding

I also grow most of the herbs that I use for cooking year round. I haven't bought thyme or rosemary in many, many years and those are two of my most heavily used herbs.

We grow our own veggies, herbs, mushrooms and lots of different berries. We also forage for wild mushrooms, herbs, plants and berries. We hunt and fish; I was raising chickens, quail and pheasant but have got rid of everything in preparation for moving to the States. We can, freeze, dehydrate, smoke, pickle, jelly/jam and preserve most everything.

I brew beer, wine, mead, sodas, and make kefir and kombucha. I want to get into making cheese and yogurt.

In addition to all that: I tie flies, build spinners and other fishing lures. I reload multiple metallic cartridges and shotshells for our guns. I do preserve the skins of our kills and use them for other crafts/hobbies. I do some leatherwork, native beading and cross-stitching. I am able to perform most work needed by the house; plumbing, electrical, carpentry, dry wall etc. I haven’t worked on an engine since they started putting computers in them.

My wife decorates wine bottles and makes fairy prints and mostly takes care of our garden while attending school for medical assistant/physical therapy. She is learning to etch glass for another hobby.

We don’t do these things because they are cheaper; we do these things because we like to do them. And we like the products we get from them.

Latest posts

Back