What else is homemade at your house??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We "put up" jams, including wild blackberries in August.
Roast coffee beans
Lemoncello from grain alcohol
pickles, saurkraut, beets
homemade mozzerella with whole milk and renin
homemade pizza and bread in the outdoor brick oven
We make most meals from scratch. We don't buy much prepared food.

Anything else that looks cool to try

I make my own glazes. I have a maple porter rib glaze in my fridge.
I also take everclear and add distilled water until its about 35-40% abv. Then I add applewood chips, vanilla, and bourbon essence from lhbs and age it until it tastes like bourbon.

Beer, fresh eggs from the chickens, dog treats, veggies and tons of citrus. working on growing grapes, but they're still small. all BBQ is from scratch, but I buy the meat. Just not ready to butcher a cow. Plus the kids would name it.

Haha, I think we're starting to stretch what we mean by homemade. Not to say that BBQ isnt awesome, but some of these things listed are not what I would qualify as "home-made". I think the intention with food items, etc, was more along the lines of what do you GROW at home, not "what do you cook". Because any food item that wasn't bought from the store ready-to-eat is essentially "homemade".

Haha, where's the animated "laughing my ass off and slapping my hand on the desk" gif when I need it?

Beer, fresh eggs from the chickens, dog treats, veggies and tons of citrus. working on growing grapes, but they're still small. all BBQ is from scratch, but I buy the meat. Just not ready to butcher a cow. Plus the kids would name it.

Cows and citrus are not generally growing in the same areas.

How many tons of citrus do you produce per year? Which kind?

way too many electric gee-tars!

Did you build them from scratch (few do), or more likely, from separate parts ordered to spec?

I've got an American 08 Strat, but last year I put together a Warmoth-parts Firebird. Gibson's quality is below the ****ter now, and their Firebird V 2010's were 6+ months backordered with no signs of improvement, so I said screw it and put together my own. Ended up costing about $600 more, but I got it all to my specs, and put top of the line Lollar pickups in it, the whole shebang.

Here's a mini-album (4 pics): http://imgur.com/S0AuVtW,8YBV3l3,bEi0YAI,ZJYfYTW

Let's see- veggies all homegrown, meat and fish (lamb, venison, fish), soap, shampoo, detergent, lotions, beer, wine, wild rice, cheese, milk and eggs, and pretty much anything I can. We can vension and fish, and pickle other things (fish) and eat only what we grow, friends grow, or we can hand-harvest.

The list of what I buy is shorter. I buy most clothes (but at thrift stores), some groceries like coffee, and "big" stuff like my car, house, insurance, utilities, etc, But for my basic needs we produce our own. We don't eat refined products (again, except for coffee!) so we don't spend more than about $30 or so a week on stuff at the store like toilet paper and a few other items.

But, we are old hippies! We don't eat refined foods, or buy new clothes. I'm sure I'm quite an oddity around here.

Yooper - you are too cool. You are my heroine.

SWMBO and I are far from self-sufficient as we live in the suburbs and can't maintain poultry or livestock, but we have a small garden that gives us fresh produce through the summer and we are starting out with canning our fruits (raspberries, strawberries, and rhubarb). I really wish we could have a chicken coop; it would give us eggs and keep the damned earwigs down.

SWMBO bakes everything, bread, cakes, whatever. She doesn't bake all the time as we don't use bread very often, but it is all homemade, and damned delicious.

My youngest daughter and I grow pickle, can, and freeze as many vegetables as we can. We also grow and dry a number of herbs. Whatever wild game we get we butcher ourselves and make some of it into sausage. At various times I have raised and butchered most varieties of domestic stock. I pretty much refuse to raise chickens for meat anymore though. Any project that we can DIY we generally do. Sure there is more but that is all I can think of now.

Interesting summer so far, my Wife has learned to drywall, some minor carpentry and likes to paint; the house, the new fence and I couldn't be happier. She's really improved on her fishing and casting skills and is finally interested in going hunting, if only to observe and take pictures.

I'm a professional coffee roaster so I got that on lock, I never buy roasted coffee. It's very easy to roast your own and half the price. Also grow potatoes, peppers, peas, eggplant, herbs and for the first time this fall, rye as a cover crop.

Homemade strawberry and raspberry jams and jellies abound, as do apple butter, pickles, and Guatemalan Insanity Pickles. Those are brined with a ghost pepper, 3 habaneros and Thai Chiles.

All my fly rods and flies are handmade by me! The handles and reel seats are turned by me also.

I wish I had more homemade stuff but work drains all my time! I want to settle down and homestead one day

All my guns are home assembled as well. Also all my ammo is made via my presses and reloading stuff.

I'll have more time for hobbies and homemade stuff starting July next year when I retire from the State.

A few electronic things...I've built a stereo preamp or two, a tube amp, some sets of speakers, my computers since after buying the first one back in the early 90s, miscellaneous other electronic gadgets.

we made our 2 boys at home. it took a lot of work, but I was happy to do it.

Eddie Klubb 12 077.jpg

That's what you think, now that I'm retired, it seems like there is even less time for hobbies.....

I hope I have plenty of time:) This is my second retirement, first one from the Service and this one from the State of Alaska. The Wife has even gone so far as to say 'that I don't have to work no more if I don't want to!'

For our upcoming wedding (< 2 weeks out now), we decided to make small jars of jam to give as favors. I've made jam before, but this was the first time canning it. Grew up canning tomato sauce with my parents, but this was the first time on our own. Made several batches for people to choose from (100+ jars total):
Plum Rhubarb Jam
Spicy Tomato Jam
Blueberry Jam
Carrot Cake Jam
Peach Butter

Also made a couple batches of spicy beer mustard recently. Tried to can some of that for favors as well, but the seals didn't work out as well. So we made some more tomato jam instead. :D

For our upcoming wedding (< 2 weeks out now), we decided to make small jars of jam to give as favors. I've made jam before, but this was the first time canning it. Grew up canning tomato sauce with my parents, but this was the first time on our own. Made several batches for people to choose from (100+ jars total):
Plum Rhubarb Jam
Spicy Tomato Jam
Blueberry Jam
Carrot Cake Jam
Peach Butter

Also made a couple batches of spicy beer mustard recently. Tried to can some of that for favors as well, but the seals didn't work out as well. So we made some more tomato jam instead. :D

Tell me more of this; Carrot Cake Jam

In addition to beginning homebrewing beer & wine this year I also took a shot at cheese making and curing meats.

I'm happy with the beer and wine part, cheese making is a total PITA, but the curing meat experiment made up for that.

I may try the cheese making again if I get a fermentation/aging refer. For asiago and Parmesan it's needed.

Bought a meat grinder to grind my own hamburger and that was a success (hint: include bacon). I'll try sausage this winter. I try to prepare all my meals from scratch but I suck at gardening so it's with store bought veggies. I like to know what's in the foods I eat.

I'm a professional coffee roaster so I got that on lock, I never buy roasted coffee. It's very easy to roast your own and half the price. Also grow potatoes, peppers, peas, eggplant, herbs and for the first time this fall, rye as a cover crop.

Do you have your own shop or work for someone? I sort of took this summer off, but I was roasting a few pounds a week to sell by the cup with our baked goods at the farmers market. Everyone says 'you should open a shop' but they don't know how much a professional roaster costs and I'm more than a little intimidated by the idea of sinking that much money into it. We don't have a single roaster in the area, so it's very tempting.

I bake, brew, cure meats and make fresh sausage from our hogs, roast coffee, make pickles, my wife has just started kombucha and yogurt, we can quite a bit. Probably do 100 qts of tomatoes this year. Haven't gotten much else canned this year.

Sausage, ground beef/pork/etc, cheese, barbeque sauce, spaghetti sauce, pasta, bread, biscuits, gravy, etc... etc... etc....

I really liike some resteraunts out there, but 17 dollars for a dry grilled piece of chicken with a bit of pasta and a bit of cheese sauce... then 2.50 for a salad, and 2 bucks for a glass of iced tea? Really???? screw that!!!! cook what you can at home, and leave the overpricing for those who can't cook.

Just an observation really... not trying to be critical.

Ice cream! Forcing myself only to eat my own keeps me in check. Currently working on a cup of double caramel - salted caramel base with a sweet dark brown sugar caramel ribbon running through.

Also roast my own coffee, and wifey pickles pickles.

We can tomatoes,beans,cherry jelly and pickles. We freeze corn and black eyed peas. All the fruits and veggies are grown by us.
We get our eggs from our own chickens. All out ground meat is from the deer we kill. We run catfish nets in the summer so we have fish all year.
I make knives and turkey calls to help put some of the meat on the table.
Beer.
And I work 64 hours a week.

image-3858958056.jpg

image-3694306128.jpg

cheese making is a total PITA, but the curing meat experiment made up for that.

I may try the cheese making again if I get a fermentation/aging refer. For asiago and Parmesan it's needed.

the wife makes fresh pressed mozzarella in under an hour... look into it.

Petie nice knives. If you have a website with additional pics and pricing info please send it over. I will pass it on to a guy I work with who is a knife collector

Toga said:
Petie nice knives. If you have a website with additional pics and pricing info please send it over. I will pass it on to a guy I work with who is a knife collector

I don't have a website but I can probably send you some pics and prices.

I cut my own hair
I built my own computer
I brew my own beer
I make my own household cleaner
I make my own weed killer
I sharpen disposable razors
Goals: Making homemade bread and pizza dough (with spent grains of course)

Back