What do you think about WLP 007?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I was looking for a new house strain and wanted something clean tasting and flocculant. Just wanted to get some thoughts on 007.

I made a smash blonde ale with 007 and it was off the chain. Beer didn't last very long after it was carbed and I had tons of complements... kind of expected when you give friends free beer though. =)

I brewed 2 beers recently with this yeast. The first was a Session American IPA and the second was an imperial stout at 1.097 using the yeast cake from the previous. For the IPA at 65F, It finished in 3 days and cleared up in 7 and was ready to keg. Dry hops went in for the final 4. It made a very clear beer and didn't contribute anything flavor wise, although the hop aroma may have been muted in comparison with IPAs I've brewed with US05. For the stout at 65F, It fermented aggressively for the first 2 days, blowing off almost a quart of yeast and wort until it reached 1.035. Then I had to raise the temp to 68 and shake it up for it to finish at 1.025. Too much other stuff going on in the stout to really tell what it contributed.

My thoughts: A clean fast fermenting yeast that clears nicely. Didn't perform as well as I expected at high gravity. I probably won't use it again because S04 has performed similarly for me and I prefer dry yeast.

Used it as my house strain for over a year in place of cali ale. Great stuff. Fairly clean to ferment, produces some fruity flavors but nothing dramatic. Leaves your beer crystal clear. Lager like in appearance after two weeks cold in the keg. I do a lot of hoppy beers like pales, IPA's and ambers. It worked well for me.

It's good stuff. The only thing that left me wanting was esters. Compared to other English strains, like WLP002, it's fairly neutral.

I've also been using it lately. For the second time I used it on a Coconut IPA and I loved it. It's slowly becoming my go to yeast even for IPA's.
A local brewery uses a similar strain as their house yeast and I've used that as well. The starters are strange as it clunks up but I've gotten great attenuation and its very flocculant.

I've also been using it lately. For the second time I used it on a Coconut IPA and I loved it. It's slowly becoming my go to yeast even for IPA's.
A local brewery uses a similar strain as their house yeast and I've used that as well. The starters are strange as it clunks up but I've gotten great attenuation and its very flocculant.

I attempted a Stone Levitation clone--got some diacetyl, but probably underpitched (don't know how fresh the vial was, it seemed kind of clumped together & took about 24 hr. to start). It's supposed to be the same strain as Wyeast 1098.

Back