what do you say when friends offer BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strohs--- that was Gramp's beer. I remember the old gold colored cans--- they made him a cake once that looked like the can.

the_bird said:
When you see drunken chicks flashing their boobies at Mardi Gras, they aren't holding pints of Sam Adams. BMC's here, that's fine, doesn't bother me a bit. It's great if you were exposed to *good* beer when you were young, but when I was a teenage making $5 an hour, if we wanted to get drunk we needed to buy something cheap (gotta *tip* the guy making the purchase ;)). And when you're a kid, it's all about getting drunk.

Yeah I remember a few times when my buddies and I had maybe six dollars between us after spending all of our money at the bars- we'd go get a case of Red White & Blue (returnables) and spend the rest of the night drinking and playing Sheepshead. A nice cheap hangover.:drunk:

Schlenkerla said:
How many of you remember Hamms, Strohs, and Pabst?

I remember going on vacation to Lake of the Ozarks as a kid around 1969 and dear old dad brought cases of Falstaff.... Longnecks.... they were cool for us kids because the labels had poker hands printed on the backs of them, and we'd wait for the parents to finish them up so we could peel the labels off and see who beat who... we had a BLAST with that.... that and our VESS soda we took with us... (Black Cherry RULED!!! :rockin: )

I was leery of this thread, due to a BMC embarassment, but as I see, no worries. If it comes down to it, Bud. Being from St. Louis, it's kind of part of the genetic makeup... and like has been mentioned time and again b4, it's great after a long day sweating out in the yard and you want something thin and watery, yet has a decent alcoholic kick to go with it. Plus, compared to Miller for me, I can down the entire bottle and not get ye olde "spider shiver", that nasty taste from the bottom of the bottle. Bud Light sucks, Natty I'll drink, because it's more like water....

There are a couple of types that I won't drink because they give me an instant headache... Busch, Any Coors product, (don't ask me why, I just despise the stuff) and a little known brand called Pfeiffer... used to be able to get it for $1.50 a sixer... and the headache proved why it was so cheap.... (Don't ask about the RW&B keg parties we used to have....:eek: )

Crap... drunken typing. :drunk: To answer the ORIGINAL question, if someone offers me a B or an M, I'll drink it, the C?? I'll probably see what kind of mixers they have....:D

Ize

kornkob said:
Economic status tends to have the largest impact on one's 'first contact' with beer in the US (with some exceptions, to be sure) and one's first regularly drank beer tends to build brand loyalty, especially if the brand has hooked several in the same community.

After all, if you're in your early 20s and are making $8 an hour and raising 2 kids, how many craft brews do you think you're going to get exposed to as opposed to, say Busch light? And if your daddy drank busch and you drink busch, odds are your boy probably will too.

Yeah, that's a good point too. Though even when we were broke college kids, we drank good beer. Beer was for enjoying and light buzzes. To get really drunk, we had hard liquor for that. 1.75L of Jim Beam goes on sale for $17.

Though, now that we're mostly professional engineers, the beer has stepped up from Sam Adams, Bass, etc to Dogfish Head, various Belgians, etc, and now homebrew. The whiskey has moved from Jim Beam to various small batch bourbons and single malt scotches.

Even when I was a college kid, if I had $8 to my name, I'd go for the 4 pack of DFH 90min IPA(one of my favorite commercial beers) over the 30 rack of swill.

I will put myself in others shoes to answer this post and say, "before I was enlightened with good beer, and I offered someone a BMC, what kind of response would be appropriate to me?" I would certainly consider them beer snobs if they declined, because it wasn't good enough for them to drink. On the other hand, I think it is okay to refuse, as long as you are polite about it. Saying simply, "no thanks" is not snobbish.
So, next time I am offered, I may politely drink one, or I may politely refuse. Sometimes suffering through the drink may be a small price to pay for the fellowship.

I guess it falls in line with everything else. I may go to a BBQ and try loads of someone else's food. Maybe they use meat patties while I might buy expensive meat and make my burgers from scratch. Maybe I make my own salads while they buy ready made. Maybe I like my cooking better or another neighbors.
So what, I just go and eat and have a good time.
Beer is beer and although I may like my own or a craft/micro better than a BMC,
it's kind of like the food. It's not "undrinkable." It just kind of sucks.
It has its place. We can't discriminate against the lower class beers:D
They may be distant cousins but still part of the family or the stuff we love.

Tommy

Brewno said:
Beer is beer and although I may like my own or a craft/micro better than a BMC,
it's kind of like the food. It's not "undrinkable." It just kind of sucks.
It has its place. We can't discriminate against the lower class beers:D
They may be distant cousins but still part of the family or the stuff we love.

Tommy

BRAVO, nicely said. :mug:

Though, recently I'm guilty of doing just the opposite. I asked the waitress what was on tap. When she only listed BMC, I ordered a sweet tea. I guess it just depends on my mood. :eek:

Either I'm a dumbarse, or it's the huge amounts of beer in my blood right now, but am I the only one that doesn't understand what BMC stands for? MBC might have been Miller Brewing Company, but what's BMC? Brewers of Mediocre Cerveza? Bilingual Mothers from Canada? Help a (drunken) brother out! :rockin: :drunk: :confused: :mug:

i'm a pleeb and love the pleeb pastimes, which include consuming tons of **** beer. i'll never turn down a friendly offer, and i'll not think better of myself for liking a pale ale or a bitter over a cheap swill lager...

i had to mix in some miller lites today with some homebrews and micros.... damn that miller lite taste like water. also tried a michelob ultra amber today, more water...

damn the man.... HOMEBREW or MICROS all the way :mug:

Seriously some of that swill gives me a headache.

Bud light, Coors light, and any of that ultra crap, ugh!!

I would never turn down a beer on ettiquite, but more than one just makes me ill.

i drink PLENTY of heiniken and Labatts (Detroit is a suburb of Canada, and EVERY party store has labatts)

not exactly big US brewery, but fairly common here nonetheless

Well, on the plus side you can wow your friends by slamming this stuff because it tastes so much similar to water...crappy water, yes...but it's SO easy to drink right down...

Exo said:
Well, on the plus side you can wow your friends by slamming this stuff because it tastes so much similar to water...crappy water, yes...but it's SO easy to drink right down...

it's like A cups and D cups :ban: :mug: :tank: :rockin:

Haha, yea A cups are nice to play with and the term "more than a mouthful is wasteful" BUT if you want to get down to business it's time to un-strap the D cup and get er' done.

Exo said:
Haha, yea A cups are nice to play with and the term "more than a mouthful is wasteful" BUT if you want to get down to business it's time to un-strap the D cup and get er' done.

that's what i'm talking about :ban:

we are in drunk ramblings right ;)

Exo said:

Yeah buddy! :rockin:

Ize

A's
tammian3.jpg

coors-light-cooler.gif

D's
kittencleavage.jpg

dcam1744jf2.jpg

Schlenkerla said:
How many of you remember Hamms, Strohs, and Pabst?

Remember Pabst? I have 6 of them in the fridge right now!! I remember they are there everytime i come home from work :)

I'm a little dry on the homebrew side of things now and frankly pabst is my current BMC(ish) choice. 12 for less than the price of a standard 6 pack choice. smokin:tank:

It's not bad.. much better than B, M or C if you ask me..

cheers!!:mug:

ws

Speaking of BMC, I work right near the AB brewery in Newark NJ and pass it everyday a few times per day.
I don't like Bud but I have to say that passing that brewery is the highlight of my work day! I just love the smell when I pass there, it reminds me of my kitchen on brew day:D

Sometimes it's not as good though. Sometimes you can smell cooked rice. Not bad but not the usual aroma.
The funny thing is that before homebrewing I didn't like (appreciate) the aroma coming from there. Now I understand it somehow.

Tommy

I love driving through the valley in Milwaukee. Smells of yeast and brew swirling about...mmmm

Back