What Do You Do to Keep Your Mind Off Beer When You Can't Drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talgrath

Reaction score
So, I recently spent some time in the hospital for appendicitis, as part of my treatment post-hospital, I can't drink! My antibiotics say not to and I don't want to screw them up because not dying is high on my list of things to do. The most frustrating thing is I couldn't do much in the hospital besides watch TV when people weren't visiting, so I saw all sorts of food and beer ads (already fixed the food side of things), which made me crave a frosty brew. So, my question is, when you can't drink beer...what do you drink instead? Do you guys have a preferred substitute?

Become a supporting member of hbt then go peruse the boneyard. You won't be able to eat or keep anything in your stomach for a week. Problem solved!

Actually, that's a bad idea. It'll make you want to drink to forget what you've seen...

Maybe this isn't the healthiest thing to do, but when I can't drink or I'm trying not to, I'll make myself a tasty snack instead. Like stovetop popcorn with real butter. It's gotta be healthier than crack! ;)

Water. With my inclination to playing soccer, ultimate frisbee, crossfit, etc.., hydration is a key, even more so when I do drink beer.

I decided a few years back to stop giving in to all my eating habits more for long term health than anything else. Now the beer calories don't seem to hurt so much :)

I know how you feel, I'm a month into a doctor ordered 6 month temperance movement, and it sucks. The best things I've found are things like carbonated water or dry ginger ale. Not the same, but I've found it helps with the craving.

Seltzer Water.
I've been cutting the beer consumption back to few days a week and seltzer water has become my got to,I even throw it in a pint glass so I feel like I'm doing something less healthy.
Having a carbonated drink that's not full of sugar or alcohol is a nice change up.

That being said,I'm heading in for Hernia Surgery later this week,the day I generally resume beer intake.
As luck would have it,one of the better beer bars in the country is having their 5th anniversary party w/ a tap list (43 taps) of incredible beer 2 days after the surgery, a friend is having a (Lambic) bottle event the day after ...Is there more?
Oh yeah,then there's the Super Bowl...
This has turned out to be one of the worst timed events of my life !

Seltzer Water.
I've been cutting the beer consumption back to few days a week and seltzer water has become my got to,I even throw it in a pint glass so I feel like I'm doing something less healthy.
Having a carbonated drink that's not full of sugar or alcohol is a nice change up.

That being said,I'm heading in for Hernia Surgery later this week,the day I generally resume beer intake.
As luck would have it,one of the better beer bars in the country is having their 5th anniversary party w/ a tap list (43 taps) of incredible beer 2 days after the surgery, a friend is having a (Lambic) bottle event the day after ...Is there more?
Oh yeah,then there's the Super Bowl...
This has turned out to be one of the worst timed events of my life !

You'll get painkillers...Hopefully enough. Personally I'd rather drink a couple pints.

I don't drink during the week. So when I get a craving I drink water. Lots and lots of water. Downside is you go to the bathroom lots and lots of trips to the bathroom. After a few days the cravings will subside.

I don't drink during the week. So when I get a craving I drink water. Lots and lots of water. Downside is you go to the bathroom lots and lots of trips to the bathroom. After a few days the cravings will subside.

Why would you not drink all week? That's not for me...I like having a couple beers after work or after dinner on work nights. It feels like a treat after a day's work.

I've been drinking Sprite Zero or Cherry/Vanilla Coke Zero for a sweet and carbonated beverage to supplement some of my beer intake.

Why would you not drink all week? That's not for me...I like having a couple beers after work or after dinner on work nights. It feels like a treat after a day's work.

I've been drinking Sprite Zero or Cherry/Vanilla Coke Zero for a sweet and carbonated beverage to supplement some of my beer intake.

The biggest reason I don't drink during the week is because of the calories and I get up around 5-530am to work out. If I do drink during the week even if it's one I can tell the next morning during my workout.

So, I recently spent some time in the hospital for appendicitis, as part of my treatment post-hospital, I can't drink! My antibiotics say not to and I don't want to screw them up because not dying is high on my list of things to do. The most frustrating thing is I couldn't do much in the hospital besides watch TV when people weren't visiting, so I saw all sorts of food and beer ads (already fixed the food side of things), which made me crave a frosty brew. So, my question is, when you can't drink beer...what do you drink instead? Do you guys have a preferred substitute?

Clausthaler - awesome alcohol free german beer.

San Pellegrino, Tonic Water, homemade lemonade, diet Dr. Pepper, Coke Zero and Red Bull.

The biggest reason I don't drink during the week is because of the calories and I get up around 5-530am to work out. If I do drink during the week even if it's one I can tell the next morning during my workout.

Super bummer...but if it works for ya, that's cool. Maybe you should have your beer after work versus later in the evening. I don't like drinking close to bedtime either as I feel it affects my sleep a lot more. Sadly that doesn't stop me sometimes though...

With all the antibiotics, pain pills, etc they got me on because of my infected leg, hip surgery got put off. Don't wanna drink & mess up the antibiotics. So I brewed my first AG & will be brewing more beer to sock away. It'll be IDK how many months until I can drink again. So I just drink more coffee & water until then. Trying to cut back on eating too, since the new hip will require less load stresses put on it when I do get it. :mug:

I feel your pain. I have serious back problems and so sometimes have to be on painkillers and/or ibuprofen. So, no drinking during that time. I don't really have a good answer, because I pretty much want a beer all the time, but Italian sodas and coffee are helpful.

I hear ya! My L2 disc is off center a bit, so it complicates my bone-on-bone hip problems. Makes brew stuff a lot harder/longer. So coffee, water & brewing as much as I can till I can sample my wares again. And even then, not so many at once. :mug:

Is it sacrilegious to suggest dealcoholized beer? My sister-in-law drank it while she was pregnant with my nephew (I think she drank Beck's) and said it was actually pretty good.

I may actually pick up a 6-er of the stuff to tide me over during my own upcoming "dry" weekend next month (see my "Men getting snipped" thread).

Carbonated water helps me when I can't drink. My brother is an ex alcoholic and he drinks a ton of carbonated water to deal with his cravings. Luckily, I didn't get the "I need to drink all the time" gene he got. I do enjoy a couple cold ones just about every evening though and it's not a big deal if I can't drink for a few nights.
I'd try not to drink sodas, especially diet because that stuff is terrible for you, or red bulls, or any other sugary drinks. Squeeze some lemon or lime into some carbonated water and you'll be ok!

I'm ending my whole.30 diet in a few days. I've found that green tea is great, and I've been enjoying alot more kombucha lately. The thing with tea is you can get all kinds of great flavors, which is one thing I really like about beer is all the different styles.

@BreezyBrew LOL niiiiiiice.... The stupid look on that girl's face...

Hasn't ever happened, but I'd be making lemonade and root beer like a madman. That and smokin' funny things. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, even the joke ones. Gave me a chuckle while I'm stuck at home today. Ginger Ale might be worth a shot, I think, so I'll maybe I'll pick up a twelve pack of those.

For me, I find beer is kind of like cigarettes in that a big part of it is just the physical habit of "sipping something" at regular intervals. If I'm in a situation that I normally (read: ideally) associate with beer but I don't want to drink an alcoholic beverage, then I just brew up some tea. It's hot so it lasts a long time and my urge to sip something is fulfilled.

Id venture a guess you can most likely still drink (not heavily) without consequence regarding your antibiotics. They say that crap for EVERY medication and treatment. Bad splinter in your toe? better cut out the alcohol

I drank while I was still IN the hospital. There was a brewery a few blocks away and my Dad felt bad enough for me to grab a mini growler to share when he would visit. Good bonding time. Definitely helped to experience something familiar and comforting during that nightmare

that being said, when Im not sipping on beer or water, im usually sipping on tea. I got a dedicated drawer at work and at home. I like my tea fermented too

I tried La Croix and no...just no. So bland and gross. No thank you. I'd rather just have regular water.

I can't believe no one else commented on BreezyBrew's post. That was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Carbonated water helps me when I can't drink. My brother is an ex alcoholic and he drinks a ton of carbonated water to deal with his cravings. Luckily, I didn't get the "I need to drink all the time" gene he got. I do enjoy a couple cold ones just about every evening though and it's not a big deal if I can't drink for a few nights.
I'd try not to drink sodas, especially diet because that stuff is terrible for you, or red bulls, or any other sugary drinks. Squeeze some lemon or lime into some carbonated water and you'll be ok!

I quit drinking soda about 4 years ago. I used lemonade as a transition and quit drinking that as well. Not as to say I'm a health nut. After all, as a member of this site it comes to no surprise that I enjoy beer. I'd say my liquid consumption is about 85% water, 10% coffee, 5% beer.

Id venture a guess you can most likely still drink (not heavily) without consequence regarding your antibiotics. They say that crap for EVERY medication and treatment. Bad splinter in your toe? better cut out the alcohol

I drank while I was still IN the hospital. There was a brewery a few blocks away and my Dad felt bad enough for me to grab a mini growler to share when he would visit. Good bonding time. Definitely helped to experience something familiar and comforting during that nightmare

that being said, when Im not sipping on beer or water, im usually sipping on tea. I got a dedicated drawer at work and at home. I like my tea fermented too

While usually I would agree with you, to a limited extent, given that I'm trying to avoid being on the operating table by taking these meds, I'm not going to screw around with it. Besides that, the side effects of the drugs would be worsened by drinking beer anyway, so it's probably not a great combo.

I drink cranberry juice on ice. Almost non stop, I guess it makes me think I'm drinking Vodka.

Back