What do you do for a living?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a researcher. I am one of the foremost authorities on Bovine Scatology. I have a doctorate degree from the university of hard knocks and big knockers. I was able to work though college by working as a night manager at 7-11 for 35 years. Many have mentioned that I have brougth the science of Bovine Scatology to an art. Just the other day someone called me a, "******** Artist"! I have also been able to mix my love of Bovine Scatology with music because people have told me, "if ******** was music, I would be a brass band". Yes Bovine Scatology is my life and I love spreading the word. My colleges have acknowleged this by saying, "every other word out of your mouth is ********".

Your friendly bbq'ing, homebrewing, woodworking, engineer, geeky, basically has his fingers into everything type human being.

Web: www.blackdogbrewery.us

Like I said, the guy behind the Guy.

this is always fun for hobbiest type forums that i frequent :)

Well, i work for *large grocery chain* doing computer technical support for all the DCs, Plants, stores, offices, etc, anything computer related that breaks? i fix! exciting i know :p but i make good money doing something i've been doing on the side for years.

Currently i'm over in the *large grocery* office in portland, but was working for awhile in the Ohio Office right above cincinnati.

So, what do you do for a living?

hmmm....i must have used to work with you.

Zappos photographer assistant.

I'm an unpaid "assistant" at a local microbrewery from time to time. I haven't been over in a little while, but I'm trying to get my foot in the door as a paid assistant while I finish up my education. Perhaps I could still work there part time while I work a "legit" job.

Still finishing up college, hoping to go work for one of my uncles in Germany for a while after I graduate next year. If I decide against that, then I'd love to go work in Portland, Oregon (my hometown).

I'm an overeducated mall security guard. Waiting on the government to sign off on my packet so I can be an overpaid federal security guard. Then I'm thinking about law school.

Civil / Environmental Engineer at a mid sized (400 employees) consultant company. I mostly work on the design and permitting of Marcellus shale gas wells, wind farms, and coal combustion byproducts landfills. I like what I do, and all the crazy extra hours I put in helps pay for the homebrew obsession. Although we just received word that employees will be paid salary instead of hourly, so we will see how I get screwed by that!

I try to save tax payer dollars. The big word being TRY. I'm a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt in the US Navy, originally trained as an avionics technician I made the switch to make some big bucks once this enlistment is over.

originally trained as an avionics technician

That's what I did in the USMC... IMA level for CH46 and CH53 choppers.. HF Radio, UHF radio, Voice Scramblers, Radar Altimeters, IFF, Tacan... That was more than 35 years ago though... They probably don't use any of that stuff anymore.. Then again, knowing the marines, they probably do...
:D

Did you get your basic electronics training at NAS Memphis?

Automotive Technician for an American line of vehicles not paid for by taxpayer's dollars.

Did you get your basic electronics training at NAS Memphis?

I don't mean to interrupt your private conversation, but back when I was younger and living with my parents, we were stationed there in 2000-2002.

I try to save tax payer dollars. The big word being TRY. I'm a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt in the US Navy, originally trained as an avionics technician I made the switch to make some big bucks once this enlistment is over.

I didn't think the government even gave the pretense of trying to save money lol. I'm an LSS Black Belt in a large carpet company, and do technical development.

Mechanical engineer for a very large corporation. I work in the aviation & aerospace division designing things that either blow up buildings or navigate/land citizen aircraft.

I have to admit, if there was one job I would choose to have if I'm not running a brewery, it'd be mine.

TB

I work as the Education Coordinator for the Texas Forestry Museum.

I do all the special events, outreach, educational programming and tours (It's a small place lol).

I've been working at a hospital off and on for almost 25 years. I was an EMT-S and then became a respiratory therapist. About 10 years ago, I decided I didn't like working 12 hour night shifts and weekends, so I went into office work. I fill in in various places (our Wellness Exercise Center, for example) and my real job is as the Lifeline Program Manager. Lifeline is a program for home-bound and elderly people to wear personal help buttons in their home. Anyway, I'm the manager and I'm the only staff member in my department. So, I supervise myself and work flexible part time hours!

For hobbies, I love to fish, hunt, camp, canoe, play hockey, read, and I'm passionate about travel. I'm pretty active and enjoy keeping fit, too.

Sounds like the perfect woman. :mug:

Retired high school teacher.
I hike twice a week
I bowl twice a week
Do yard work taking care of my 100+ collection of different palms in the ground

Oh yea I brew small (1.5) gallon ales on e a week

I make software (a web application actually) that makes websites. I also use that software to make websites. Mostly because I get paid to. It's a field I've been involved in since the internet dark ages (1997).

I also play the drums in several bands and have been doing so for 16+ years now. At one point it was even my full time "job" although I've never really made much money doing it. I still like to think that music will be a viable career someday but the industry is basically going through a complete death/rebirth cycle right now. In the coming years I think some new business models will emerge and I can figure out a way to get paid to write songs about brewing beer.

I'm in the radio broadcasting industry. I was an on-air personality/announcer for 29 years. In 2008, I made the transition into engineering/IT Tech Support. I've also been a voice over talent since 1979. I record commercials, promos and narrations for clients that cover a wide range of media, from radio and TV to websites, voice-mail systems, movie trailers, on-site video presentations, etc. - anything that needs a voice.

I'm an account manager/dispatcher for my father's trucking company. I've been in this pretty much my whole life. I moonlight as a bartender/server for a couple of different restaurants.

As far as hobbies. I'm an advertising/design/film whore. I collect random stuff i.e. movies, books, movie posters, movie memorabilia, cigars, hot sauces. I also paint/draw/screen print. I have a bad street racing habit that I need to break.

Me? I spent 20 plus years in military aviation. Retired from it a few years ago. Now I work in the military aviation community. Good pay, better than I made while active duty, but at the the of the day not feeling the same job accomplishment I enjoyed as when I was serving the USA as a service-member. JMHTs

Insurance fraud investigator. I spent 25 years banging around from career to career (academia, rare books, brewmaster at a brewpub, life insurance agent) until I fell into this current gig. Hope it lasts until I retire.

I didn't do military, but I understand the sense of satisfaction at the end of the day. Being at the brewpub was the perfect job -- physical labor, creativity, learning constantly, contact with customers (and hence instant feedback). And I got to do a hobby for a living.

Thanks guys for responding. :mug: Everybody here likes brewing beer, you, me and many others. Wish more people would respond to this post.

Back