What do you do during a 90 minute boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do with your time during a 90 minute boil.

• Contemplate how much better your rig could be.

• Jam on some air guitar while listening to your favorite band.

• Play video games.

• Help SHMBO with random chores.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most brew days, I've got Bertha smoking; so there's plenty to do.

img_1431.jpg

I usually clean up my mash tun and my HLT, and get my carboys drained near the end of the boil. I feel like when things are clean, I'm less stressed and more organized for the critical part of the day. AND, I only have one more thing to clean after the wort has been chilled and racked. Makes for a shorter brew day, and keeps me from getting too trashed!

Regardless of whether its a 60 minute or 90 minute boil I clean out the MLT, put the HLT away, watch for boil overs, catch up on any brew day notes, and read a book.

Get my fermenter ready, drink, stare at mlt and think about dumping the grains later, think of improvements for my rig, rig up some thing new I just thought of and use it, forget that I'm boiling and remember just in time to add hops that should have been in 15 mins ago, boil my batch down to 4 gallons and say to hell with it and ferment that. Yeah, that about sums up a typical boil

Smoke a cigar, have a drink, have another drink, and maybe enjoy 2-3 more drinks while figuring out what cigar I will smoke next!

1.) Clean up HLT, MT, etc.
2.) Take care of hops additions
3.) Sanitize
4.) Assemble CFC and Ferminator
5.) Drink a beer with buddy during everything else.

clean mash tun, HLT, put away gear from mashing, sanitize chilling loop, fermenters, transfer equipment, clean down brew area, drink a beer, then relax for 10 minutes before chilling and putting away fermenters.

I get everything weighed, marked, organized, and ready for brewing beforehand. While boiling I don't stray to far, and try not to get involved in things in which I might be late getting back to add hops.

But the Poll is strangely deficient of common choices...I drink, drink, and brew. Where's that? :confused:

Clean and put away everything I am done with, make sure I have a fermenter with sanitizer in it standing by, circulate sanitizer through CFC, and, as with the rest of the brewday, chat on HBT chat.

Cos I borrow catle for boiling my wort, I am doing brew days. Two mashes, three beers, seven to eight hours. Total is 17 gallons of beer. First three hours is just nutttttsssss..... Mashing, sparging, cleaning , measuring, rethinking.... After that its just boiling;) Today I went on a walk with dogs, made launch, drank a few bottles,forgot to add hops,.....and read what to do while 90 minute boil. Btw, just doing 50 minute boils;)

I have only done a couple of brews that went longer than 60 minutes. After I finish cleaning up and prepping for the fermenter, I spend time surfing HBT.

I name most of my batches after references to Arrested Development or Saved by the Bell, so I'm typically watching episodes of one of those while homebrewing. I also keep my brewing notes up to date, clean equipment, review next steps, etc.

Back