what do you carry your LME home in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zcaad9

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this has been on my mind the past few days. So my homebrew shop sells LME at $2/# in bulk if you bring a container in to get it. What do you guys use as a container?

Does a cleaned out milk jug work? or should it be something never previously used?

seems like a stupid question, but i dont know :confused:

Never bought it that way, but took some time to talk with the bored and very knowledgeable clerk (owner?) at the LWBS. He said that the container needs to be wide mouth, not a milk jug. He suggested a mayo jar like the high school cafeteria uses. Can get on the bottom shelf of grocery or at the warehouse stores.

My LHBS sells LME in quart containers. I guess just save your wonton soup or potato salad containers? Or bring in some tupperware?

I suppose bringing a milk jug could work, but it seems like the benefit of tupperware is the seal unless you plan on brewing right when you return home.

You could use just about anything that is food grade and clean. I'd use buckets with a lid on them. Milk jug would work fine as well.

I buy my lme in the big plastic 33lb growlers. got a nice wide mouth and a screw on lid. I sappose if I were buying lme in bulk I'd just re use one of those. not sure where athens is, but if your ever in the cleveland area I'd be more than happy to give you one of mine

One of my LHBSs sells little one gallon white plastic buckets with lids. They work perfect. You can get about 12 lbs of LME into one, they're easy to clean out, and they're dish washer safe.

Anything food grade with a lid. Preferably a wide mouth. Check local bakers, they get a lot of their ingredients in that type of container; I'm sure they are tossing out lots of good buckets.

I too get 33 lb containers of Briess LME. Very convienient.

Back