what do you all use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean102385

Reaction score
what do you all use to brew the wort? The only 5 gal pots around here that I can find say not to use on a glass top stove...well as luck would have it, that is what I have. what else could I use to brew my wort besides stovetop

Hi Sean, where do you live? You should easily be able to find a large stainless steel stockpot which is fine to use on a ceramic cooktop. Are you going to be brewing extract or all grain. If you do extract and maybe some steeping grains, you don't need a huge pot as you are only making 2 gallons of wort. AG brews take a lot more water. Many people who do AG go outside and use a turkey fryer which normally comes with a very large stockpot.

I've got a 20 qt. pot SS pot that I started brewing with...on a glass top stove. I found it difficult to maintain a rolling boil with 2 1/2 gallons of wort, so I I moved outside to my propane burner. It was difficult, but not impossible...the 20 qt. SS pot was about $40 at my LHBS, they have a smooth bottom so they're fine on a glass stove pot, and if you're careful with your lid you can get a good boil going with close to 3 gallons of wort...you've just got to work at it.

Back