What do I do with this harvested Conan yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was given this jar of harvested yeast from Heady Topper. I'm planning on making a 5 gallon batch of an IPA with an OG around 1.060. I've made yeast starters before, and I have the equipment to do so, but I have no idea how much yeast is in here.

Can someone tell me how much DME, water, and yeast I should use (decant and dump the rest?) to make a decent starter for this beer?View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459986462.574712.jpg

So I hope I’ve been doing this properly. I made a 2000 ml starter with the yeast (5 oz DME & 1500 ml water), cold crashed, decanted, and then made ANOTHER starter after that.

It’s cold crashing right now, but I think I’ll have a decent amount of yeast to play with. I plan on storing the slurry in mason jars for safe keeping.

My question is: how much (ml) of this yeast should I use for a 5 gallon batch of an 1.060 OG IPA? I know the WL vials are about 35 ML. Is that all I would use?

This is always a tough decision for me, as well. When I am building up a yeast with multiple steps in the starter, I usually make 1500ml on the final run and then once it's good and slurried, pour off 500ml into a jar and just dump the rest into the wort. I have never worried about cold crashing and decanting before pouring into the wort because that just creates lag time, as the yeast have gone mostly dormant. If you're sterile in your processes, or at least sanitary, there shouldn't be much of a problem from dumping in a little extra wort from the slurry.

Latest posts

Back