What did I make (Witbier, Saison, etc.)????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecruitNBrew

Reaction score
I just kegged a standard Witbier and decided to brew up a new batch to pour on the yeast cake (Wyeast - Forbidden Fruit).

The standard Wit was about 50% Belgian Pilsner and 50% Flaked Wheat (with 1 lb of Flaked Oats and a small amount of Acid Malt). I used Hallertauer hops.

I only had 1.5 pounds of Flaked Wheat on hand (I needed 4.5 lbs for the 5 gallon batch), so I added an additional 4lbs of Munich Malt
I used 2 oz of Saaz hops (4%AA) and kept the coriander and orange peel additions.

I wanted to get a maltier beer with a higher ABV. The OG was 1.055.
I am also fermenting the Forbidden Fruit yeast at 74 degrees.

Since I am out of Witbier style on color and ABV, would this concoction be considered more of a Saison?

It would be helpful if you told us exactly what's in it. Or you could run your recipe through Brewer's Friend and see what it suggests as a match.

Thanks for the brewer's friend recommendation!
I plugged all the ingredients in and it said I was within style guidelines for a Saison

This was the recipe (5.5 gallons):
4.5 lbs of Belgian Pilsner
1.5 lbs Flaked Wheat
1 lb Flaked Oats
4 lbs German Munich Malt
5 oz Acid Malt
2 oz Saaz hops (4%AA)
8 oz Rice Hulls

Mash Temp: 154 (60 min)

Yeast: Wyeast - Forbidden Fruit
Ferm Temp: 74 degrees

OG: 1.055

Now that I see all of it, it does look like a saison. I might cut the acid malt slightly, maybe to 3 oz. There's an issue of Zymurgy (May/June, 2008) with several saisons, one of which has acid malt - 4 oz. for a five gallon batch of OG 1070.

Forbidden Fruit is excellent. I made a weizenbock using it, and it was fruity, with some banana and clove flavors. I think that it was the yeast in Celis Grand Cru (which was pretty funky).

I agree; it's a saison.

A question for the audience: does acid malt really do anything flavor-wise, if your ph is OK to start with? Don't get me wrong; I use it myself - but I brew with RO water that needs the help.

Back