What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got really bored this week. Made pasta, cut and fried a slab of homemade maple bacon into lardons, then made a sauce with some chicken thighs, the lardons, some farmers cheese (which I bought not knowing wth it was). Came out super tasty! It probably has a name, who knows.

upload_2020-1-30_19-40-37.png

upload_2020-1-30_19-46-15.png

upload_2020-1-30_19-46-21.png

upload_2020-1-30_19-43-59.png

upload_2020-1-30_19-44-6.png

upload_2020-1-30_19-44-29.png

upload_2020-1-30_19-44-40.png

Just getting it started today

Ground pork and ground chuck chilli with pinto beans. Got the beans soaking now and the pork is thawing. Normally i go much lighter on the pork but this will be about 50/50. Just drain off the extra fat as needed.

Anyone ever make zongzi?

(Chinese dish popular at dim sum...sticky rice and pork that's wrapped/steamed in banana leaf)

The recipes I've looked up are all over the board with regard to rice prep (some say cook, some say soak for an hour, some way soak over night), and cooking time (some say to boil/steam for 6 hours, others say boil/steam for an hour....and it doesn't seem to correspond with rice prep time).

Any tips out there?

Lookin' at you, @Evilgrin ;)

Been wanting to make these for a while. Lightly toasted and buttered English muffins with tillamook cheese, home pecan smoked ham and an egg cooked in butter in muffin dish. Wrapped in parchment and ready for the week. Not better or worse then breakfast burrotos just different. Really good though. Also made bean and cheese burritos. Made my red chilli sauce, had to get recipe from thread because I lost my data, and decided wth and just mixed the beans with sauce. Put on cheese on tortilla and wrapped in parchment.

20200201_165728.jpeg

@TwistedGray that beer can always cracks me up - MontereyBeer, Alvarado Street Brewing, Salinas CA!!

Never did get down to Alvarado Street to try them out before we left CA. We were so into brewing our OWN beer by then that we didn't really see the need!

They do some good stuff for sure :)

C rolls for party. Also, little smokies wrapped in homemade dough, nacho cheese in crock pot, hot artichoke dip, mozzarella sticks, a cake not pictured, various tortilla pin wheels, a cheese plate, some lunch meat, veggies and salami. Also in the back is lime sherbet and sprite punch. The c rolls, dang.
20200202_160855.jpeg
20200202_101752.jpeg
20200202_102609.jpeg
20200202_115436.jpeg

Never even HEARD of that one - are they new? We've been gone a little over two years now....

They're owned and brewed by the guys at Alvarado. Perhaps they brought in a new brewer with their dedicated location in Carmel, but they started out of the Salinas location, if my memory is correct. Anyways, they're doing their own thing now...the "brewpub" in Carmel is what you'd expect a better IN Carmel to look like. If you're in the area, make it a point to go.

Edited to add - they got a really good happy hour!! The food is great; the beer compliments it, not the other way around.

YUM Merry!! DH likes filet. I'm not a big fan. But at THAT price...I could be convinced - especially wrapped with a fat piece of bacon like that!

I have a pot of keto chili on the stove. New recipe. Highly acclaimed by many. We shall see! Woke up to 13* here this morning (central AZ) and high is currently 32* at 1:30 pm. Weather.com prediction shows snowflakes Mon/Tues/Wed - we shall see - comfort food will prevail if that's the case!

YUM Merry!! DH likes filet. I'm not a big fan. But at THAT price...I could be convinced - especially wrapped with a fat piece of bacon like that!

I have a pot of keto chili on the stove. New recipe. Highly acclaimed by many. We shall see! Woke up to 13* here this morning (central AZ) and high is currently 32* at 1:30 pm. Weather.com prediction shows snowflakes Mon/Tues/Wed - we shall see - comfort food will prevail if that's the case!

Should've stayed over here ; ) Only 31f this morning...double that (literally) this afternoon.

ps: I'm eating Sunday's chili myself (for lunch).

Thanks! I found a package that was $25 so $15 and I have enough filet for 2 meals. Hubby did not complain, I seared on the cook top then popped the skillet into the a 400 F oven while my microwaved potatoes were finishing. Brought them to a platter to rest while I put the salad in a bowl. Pretty easy meal really.

Chili is a perfect meal for a snowy day! No beans I gather.

Interested in the recipe if it turns out well!

Homemade rolls and hamburgers last night with tots and kale salad bag kit. The picture does not do these justice. Btw, got a better pic of bean burrito, dang, these are good. Also update on breakfast sandwiches, they freeze and reheat beautifully. Couldnt be happier with them.
20200204_175702.jpeg
20200204_163352.jpeg

YIELD: 6 SERVINGS
Keto Chili
KETO-CHILI-735x1101.jpg

This low carb chili is so hearty and filling and packs a ton of flavor!

PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME1 hour
TOTAL TIME1 hour 10 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ pounds ground beef
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ¼ cup tomato paste
  • 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Instructions
  1. Add the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper to a large deep pot and cook over medium heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. When meat is cooked through, drain fat from pan.
  2. Add the jalapeno, garlic, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, beef broth, chili powder, cumin, and salt and stir.
  3. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for at least 20 minutes, preferably an hour for the best taste and texture.
  4. Serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar, as desired.
Notes

Simmer for at least 20 minutes before serving. The longer the chili simmers, the better the flavor will be. I recommend one hour or more for the best taste and texture. Add additional broth if too much cooks off during the simmering process.

Nutrition Information:

YIELD:
SERVING SIZE:
1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 357 TOTAL FAT: 21g SATURATED FAT: 8g TRANS FAT: 1gUNSATURATED FAT: 10g CHOLESTEROL: 101mg SODIUM: 920mg CARBOHYDRATES: 9gFIBER: 3g SUGAR: 5g PROTEIN: 33g
All information and tools presented and written within this site are intended for informational purposes only. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information is accurate.
© Karly Campbell

https://thatlowcarblife.com/keto-chili/

This was pretty good stuff! I doubled the recipe, using 2 pounds ground venison and 1 pound ground beef, but only used 1 onion and 1 red bell pepper. I used 2 cans of diced tomatoes with peppers and a 6 oz. can of tomato paste. We both agreed that it was a bit on the "tomato-y" side for our tastes - next time I'll just put a tablespoon of tomato paste from a tube. I ended up using more cumin, garlic salt, added a tablespoon of crushed dried oregano and also a teaspoon each of dark cocoa powder and instant coffee powder. Cooked it til thick. The double batch made about 12 cups which means 1 serving = 1 cup as far as her nutritional stats go. I was afraid that a quart of beef stock was gonna be too "soupy" but it was not at all. I cooked it in my big cast iron oval Le Creuset for about 3 hours on a simmer after the first steps were completed. I'll make it again. Might try the Instant Pot sometime too!

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-5_10-38-3.png
    upload_2020-2-5_10-38-3.png
    1,012 bytes · Views: 34
For chilli try that mexican red powder. It makes the chilli a little brighter red and I think the flavor is better. I know I keep going on about those burritos but wow oh wow are they good. Cheap and easy to make too. Going to make another batch of them and the breakfast caddie muffins today!

For chilli try that mexican red powder. It makes the chilli a little brighter red and I think the flavor is better. I know I keep going on about those burritos but wow oh wow are they good. Cheap and easy to make too. Going to make another batch of them and the breakfast caddie muffins today!
Are you talking about Achiote (annatto)?

10# of Andouille sausage, for the superbowl. I smoke them the day after I stuff them, so they can be eaten cold later (in fact, I cut them in slices for cheese trays). Most get frozen.

Also, 10# of Brats. I chopped up frozen butter and put it in the Brats. This was super awesome. If you look closely, you might see yellow chunks.

I know I should have a plated shot, but I was busy hosting a party and never did it, and now they are all in the freezer.
upload_2020-2-9_22-11-45.png
upload_2020-2-9_22-16-46.png
upload_2020-2-9_22-17-26.png

upload_2020-2-9_22-19-6.png

Sorry, new mexican that is. I am talking about new mexican red chilli. I know you are more familiar with chillis than me but for the good of the cause I can atest it makes great chilli. Embarrassed to say I stopped using the dried ristras. So easy to use powder. But the full dried make killer enchiladas. I know of different enchilada traditions if anyone is interested. I was taught by Mexican grandmothers. Regardless of how they are assembled this sauce is used.

Muffins came out good. Not as good as the last batch with smoked ham. The burritos came out great too. Super happy to have breakfast. Made taco salad for dinner so to speak. We were supposed to have tacos but I started craving this. Put doritos and some scoops on a plate with ground beef, sliced tillamook cheese, lettuce, sour cream, homemade guac, homemade jalopeno hot sauce and pace salsa. The doritos were so good. The quac was excellent, made in thai mortar with fresh lime zest, sliced onion, sliced jalopeno, salt, olive oil, lime juice a d avocados.
Are you talking about Achiote (annatto)?
Screenshot_20200209-213556_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20200209-213520_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
Screenshot_20200209-213513_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg
20200209_171732.jpeg
20200209_093734.jpeg

Back