What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forget how you guys treat your wings before cooking...can someone remind me?

Similar to bleme, I dry the wings out 24 hours before cooking, on a stainless cooling rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, and stowed away in the fridge. Been doing this for a couple of years now to good success.

I do wait on seasoning the wings, so instead of seasoning them the night before when they go into the fridge for a nap, I season the wings immediately before they hit the grill.

The times I've seasoned the wings the day before, my wife complained about how the seasoning spice rub "stinked up" the fridge. I disagreed, of course, but these days, I see no difference b/w seasoning the day before vs. right before cooking, and it helps improve domestic tranquility, which is nice.

If you use JUST salt, there will be no odor and helps dry out the skin a little.
I dry them in my beer fridge though, so there is no other food for the smell to bother.
I don't wrap at all. That would limit the drying.

As a side tip, most people keep a box of baking soda in the fridge to absorb odors. I use activated charcoal (aquarium supply) in a sock that lost its mate. It is much more effective.

Last edited:
You guys are not worried about cross contamination? I mean I guess you don't have other open food in the fridge, but you do have leafy greens, vegies, etc, no? Just wondering

How do you guys wrap the wings so that the chicken is not "exposed" while in the fridge? Just saran warp or something? @bleme @Bklmt2000

I use press-n-seal to cover all of the wings loosely. I find there's enough air under the press-n-seal that the wings dry out well enough (especially if grilling) to get crispy skins. It also helps minimize the chance of cross-contamination, since I stow the wings in my kitchen fridge's meat drawer.

I use press-n-seal to cover all of the wings loosely. I find there's enough air under the press-n-seal that the wings dry out well enough (especially if grilling) to get crispy skins. It also helps minimize the chance of cross-contamination, since I stow the wings in my kitchen fridge's meat drawer.

Okay, thanks.

When i do wings i get out my large SS bowl. Once the wings are nearly ready i put them in the bowl with whatever sauce im using. Toss them with the sauce/butter and put them back on the grill for a couple more minutes. Cuts down on the "sloppy" wings a little if you want less mess. Since they are fully cooked if anyone wants more sauce they can get it from the bowl.
haUlUre.jpg
You guys are throwing some serious wing cravings on me!! I have a new recipe I want to try that steams the wings with a rub on them first with a little butter, then you grill and sauce. I almost always sauce on the cool side of the grill after crisping them up so that the sauce thickens as described above. I'm so hungry now!

You guys are throwing some serious wing cravings on me!! I have a new recipe I want to try that steams the wings with a rub on them first with a little butter, then you grill and sauce. I almost always sauce on the cool side of the grill after crisping them up so that the sauce thickens as described above. I'm so hungry now!

You might want to either go a tad heavy on the spices pre-steam (as I suspect the steam could result in a good bit of the rub falling off during steaming), or add some more rub post-steaming before grilling and saucing.

Try it as you posted above to see how you like it and adjust as needed for the next batch.

Lately, I've been making bone broth with my leftover smoked chicken wing bones/skin.

The hot sauce and rub adds a nice dimension to the broth when used for spicey soups.

Chuck them in the instant pot with a quart of water and some peppercorns, bay leaves, onion/garlic and pressure cook for a couple hours. Strain, and freeze for later.

Lately, I've been making bone broth with my leftover smoked chicken wing bones/skin.

The hot sauce and rub adds a nice dimension to the broth when used for spicey soups.

Chuck them in the instant pot with a quart of water and some peppercorns, bay leaves, onion/garlic and pressure cook for a couple hours. Strain, and freeze for later.

That's pretty clever. Never considered doing anything with wing scraps.

The one i make for hotdogs is super simple

[snip]

Leave it alone in a jar for at least 3-4 days in a warm dark place. Loose fitting lid or lid with a air lock. DONT crank a lid down tight unless you want to burp it daily.
Check it after a few days to see if its sour. When its sour toss it in the fridge for at least a week. After a month its getting really good.

After fermenting for a few days as you suggest, I put kimchi into pint mason jars with these nifty silicone lids - they are called "pickle pipes", check Amazon. The lids act like a airlock so you don't risk an explosion if you get a little fermentation going on in the fridge. I just pulled this one out today for lunch.

upload_2019-2-26_16-49-12.png

After fermenting for a few days as you suggest, I put kimchi into pint mason jars with these nifty silicone lids - they are called "pickle pipes", check Amazon. The lids act like a airlock so you don't risk an explosion if you get a little fermentation going on in the fridge. I just pulled this one out today for lunch.

View attachment 614916
Here is the 1/2 gallon jar that I burp daily...

image000000_01.jpeg

Here is the 1/2 gallon jar that I burp daily...

Yea, exactly. I'd be nervous. My wife is not a fan of the smell of kimchi, and if she opened the fridge and found it plastered about the compartment, I'd be in the doghouse.

[edit] is that what you do the initial fermenation in? Or is that just how you store it in the fridge?

Yea, exactly. I'd be nervous. My wife is not a fan of the smell of kimchi, and if she opened the fridge and found it plastered about the compartment, I'd be in the doghouse.

[edit] is that what you do the initial fermenation in? Or is that just how you store it in the fridge?
Both... Ok, I'll come clean, it's only my 3rd batch.

Not keen on doing a secondary!

Both... Ok, I'll come clean, it's only my 3rd batch.

Not keen on doing a secondary!

I made this cool fermentor for small batches of "stuff", like kimchi. You might consider. More here (take a look, lots of stuff you can make in a jar like this besides kimchi - pickles, sauerkraut): 2 1/2 gallon Montana Jar Fermentor

IMG_5644.JPG

That's pretty clever. Never considered doing anything with wing scraps.
I save the wing tips, both for boiling/stock and also as kitty treats. Good call on reusing the bones.

I do initial ferment in wide-mouth mason jars with those lids (or very similar silicone lids).
I also have a set of glass weights that fit perfectly in a mason jar.

6-Pack Easy Fermentation Glass Weights with Handles for Keeping Vegetables Submerged During Fermenting and Pickling, Fits for Any Wide Mouth Mason Jars, FDA-Apporved Food Grade Materials https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079NXB6R5/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My initial ferment is in a E-Jen type fermenter. Then i swap to Mason jars with plastic lids. The lids will burp if you dont use a silicone ring with them. I usually dont put it into the Mason jars for a week or so. Depends on what im fermenting and how much. Pepper ferments i prefer to go straight into glass because they take a very long time vs cabbage.
Square
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SWBJJQ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Round
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010R6AFVA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Lids....Target and maybe Walmart have these too
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SSN3L2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My initial ferment is in a E-Jen type fermenter. Then i swap to Mason jars with plastic lids. The lids will burp if you dont use a silicone ring with them. I usually dont put it into the Mason jars for a week or so. Depends on what im fermenting and how much. Pepper ferments i prefer to go straight into glass because they take a very long time vs cabbage.
Square
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SWBJJQ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Round
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010R6AFVA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Lids....Target and maybe Walmart have these too
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SSN3L2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Love my 2 e-jen fermenters, have the 1.7l and a 8l. I have about 2lb of Brussels sprouts and another 2lb of green beans fermenting witha few heads of garlic and a handful of Hmong peppers.
Not a great photo of the Brussels. Just about at the month mark now.
Also, peppers, silicone lid in tbe background.
20181122_082150.jpg
20181021_190930.jpg

I forget how you guys treat your wings before cooking...can someone remind me?

I like to let mine soak in sweet rice wine like Mirin or a Chinese 3 cup chicken type marinade. A little hole in the wall carryout place has made them like this for years. 3 cup chicken or san bei ji is mainly soy sauce, rice wine and sesame oil but they are braised in the liquid and served. This place drops the wings in the deep fryer. :D

Authentic style
https://www.angelwongskitchen.com/t...47938622-6527965279s257n-b275i-j29965279.html

Bum Bum chicken super awesome Chinese carryout style. I love these things.
SimqiCW.jpg

Love my 2 e-jen fermenters, have the 1.7l and a 8l. I have about 2lb of Brussels sprouts and another 2lb of green beans fermenting witha few heads of garlic and a handful of Hmong peppers.
Not a great photo of the Brussels. Just about at the month mark now.
Also, peppers, silicone lid in tbe background.

Ive made brussel sprout kimchi. Quarter them first. They seem to take much longer to get "ripe".
eVaTm1r.jpg

EHuahoW.jpg

This one is nappa and Chinese mustard. More of a traditional Chinese ferment than a kimchi. Called Suan Cai if just mustard greens.
gQNgCgQ.jpg

Brussel sprout kimchi is more bitter at first. Let it age for a few months and its ok. Daikon and kohlrabi are great. Ive done turnips too. Try it with a little Asian pear puree in the paste. Speeds up the ferment a little.

The wife made this 'Sherry Cherry Chicken' last night. I made the mashed taters. This was a slightly new variation of this dish that she normally makes without a recipe. This version was soooo good, I made her write it down because, damn!

View attachment 615135
I hope you mean you asked her to write it down. :rolleyes:

I hope you mean you asked her to write it down. :rolleyes:

Actually the truth is I made her recite the ingredients and steps to me, and I wrote it all down because I want the exact same thing again sometime. Here's the thing. My wife can eat something like one spoonful of shrimp and grits at a really nice restaurant, and then two weeks or so later, recreate the exact recipe from memory. See one of my previous posts in this thread for the pic of the shrimp and cheese grits. She has a very special gift and I'm very lucky (unless I'm in the dog house).

Actually the truth is I made her recite the ingredients and steps to me, and I wrote it all down because I want the exact same thing again sometime. Here's the thing. My wife can eat something like one spoonful of shrimp and grits at a really nice restaurant, and then two weeks or so later, recreate the exact recipe from memory. See one of my previous posts in this thread for the pic of the shrimp and cheese grits. She has a very special gift and I'm very lucky (unless I'm in the dog house).
Gotcha, actually my husband says I never cook the same thing twice. I only write down beer recipes, and follow a recipe for baking.

Made a pretty sweet pork belly alfredo sauce last night. Pork belly sauteed with garlic, add heavy cream and parm and white pepper. It's my pork belly and Parmesan in there. I didn't have much cream, so it came out thicker than desired, but satisfying nonetheless. On squid ink pasta.

upload_2019-3-1_12-9-28.png

upload_2019-3-1_12-10-22.png

upload_2019-3-1_12-10-56.png

This looks like it has been cured. What is the difference between it and bacon?

It's slab bacon, smoked. I like the sound of pork belly better :)

[edit] here they are in my smoker, from last September. I'm just looking for ways to use them, they have been in my freezer since then.

upload_2019-3-1_13-18-33.png

I've been on a mission to downsize the deep freezers to just one, so I have been using beef and pork like mad to do so. I have about a dozen chuck roasts still, so I looked up other ways to use them and someone mentioned making philly's. Never thought to use chuck roast for them, but it makes excellent philly's. Best part is they are so quick to make because I don't have to wait for it to thaw. Slice thin while partially frozen and gtg. I've made these about 6 times in the last couple months.

The last couple times were the best. I used the scraps from my homemade bacon instead of oil. Diced some up, cooked it and then added the peppers/onions/beef.

20190221_192517.jpeg

Back