What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on a mission to downsize the deep freezers to just one, so I have been using beef and pork like mad to do so. I have about a dozen chuck roasts still, so I looked up other ways to use them and someone mentioned making philly's. Never thought to use chuck roast for them, but it makes excellent philly's. Best part is they are so quick to make because I don't have to wait for it to thaw. Slice thin while partially frozen and gtg. I've made these about 6 times in the last couple months.

The last couple times were the best. I used the scraps from my homemade bacon instead of oil. Diced some up, cooked it and then added the peppers/onions/beef.

View attachment 615321
Nearly everyone at my work has been talking about downsizing lately, but I think I like your way better...

Those could be wrapped in foil and finished on the manifold of my Jeep while I 4wheel. Done just in time for a hot lunch in the cold woods.[emoji38]

Haha, we've done manifold burritos when wheeling, but pretty much anything you can stuff in a foil packet to cook works. Like you said, makes for a nice hot meal on those cold days. (Jeep guy here as well, but now I wheel a RZR and the Jeep is a pavement princess).

Hi All!
For dinner, I grilled some asparagus and some of my homemade jalapeño & poblano sausage. Of course, you have to wash it down, so I had a nice glass of BM's Centennial Blonde. Ed

food.jpg
Beer1.jpg

Hi! I guess this should be posted on the "what did I smoke this weekend" thread, but here goes. I used 6lbs of 88% lean burger from Costco (I'm too lazy to grind all that beef) and 1.5 lbs of pork belly that I ground myself, mixed well, and seasoned/cured with this mix from Amazon (but I also have a good self-made sausage seasoning mix) to which I added 5 medium jalapeños and two fire roasted & skinned poblano peppers with all seeds removed and finely diced. Stuffed in natural hog casings, let them cure overnight in the fridge, then smoked with sweetwood (oak, apple, cherry) & 20% mesquite at 200°F for 2-3 hours, then finished in oven to internal temp of 165°F. The smaller ones were stuffed into collagen casings I had left over to use them up. There just seems to be something about meat, fire & smoke, and beer that gets us all riled up and touches our inner caveman. Hope this helps. Ed
Sausage 1.jpg
Sausage 2.jpg

@passedpawn that pork belly and parmesean look terrific. What a treat. That squid ink pasta looks cool. I havent forgot about the flowers. Have to try that. I made some pasta and also for breakfast saturday I fried sausage in the all clad. And when I was done what a terrific mess. Well the gravy it made had an amazing color and flavor. There is something to the way food sticks to it. Here you can see how I loop the pasta working large amounts. I can also go through each number a couple times all the way to 7!
20190302_153445.jpeg
20190302_153452.jpeg
20190302_081248.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-03-03-20-25-26.jpeg

Pickled fish. I got these frozen filets from the store, called Swai (it's some super cheap fish from vietnam). Brined, then added to the pickling spices and jarred. It's frigging great. I'm pretty sure everything is good in pickling spices.

I love pickled herring, but you can't get herring here. I catch spanish mackeral down here in the intracoastal (gulf of mexico). I'm going to try pickling some of those filets next time I get out.

upload_2019-3-5_19-5-40.png

upload_2019-3-5_19-6-18.png

Last edited:
I love pickled herring, but you can't get herring here. I catch spanish mackeral down here in the intracoastal (gulf of mexico). I'm going to try pickling some of those filets next time I get out.
View attachment 616015

My dad used to eat pickled herring and creamed herring. Blech!! Not for me!! Looks and smells like bait to me.

I'm pretty sure everything is good in pickling spices.
I am not the expert, but if they have been frozen they are safe. I forget but think its -10 for 72hrs or -30+ for 24hrs and you have killed off any parasites. No promises for other toxicities from mishandling along the way.

I’m not an expert about what kills parasites, but I would think that the acid environment for pickling would take care of it, and of course like ceviche it “cooks” the fish. Looks yummy @passedpawn !

I'm still alive! This stuff is so good. You just want to keep eating it, believe me.

Pickled fish. I got these frozen filets from the store, called Swai (it's some super cheap fish from vietnam). Brined, then added to the pickling spices and jarred. It's frigging great. I'm pretty sure everything is good in pickling spices.

View attachment 616012

View attachment 616015

Looks interesting, I'd try it, but I have to ask why you used frozen fish from Vietnam when you have access to more and better varieties of fresh fish than most of the country?

Haha, good question. I have great fish places nearby, but I did this on a lark. I'll catch fish for the next batch.

That probably sounded wrong. I was curious if it was because the recipe called for that type of fish, or it didn't matter because you're pickling it and it would be a waste of good fish. If pickled grouper tastes just like pickled frozen fish from Vietnam, I'd hate to waste a nice grouper filet.

That probably sounded wrong. I was curious if it was because the recipe called for that type of fish, or it didn't matter because you're pickling it and it would be a waste of good fish. If pickled grouper tastes just like pickled frozen fish from Vietnam, I'd hate to waste a nice grouper filet.

Recipe calls for herring. I don't have that. But I think recipes are like hand grenades...

Get any thin oily gamey fish and start with this: https://honest-food.net/swedish-pickled-herring/

Last edited:
Procured a weber smokey mountain and DigiQ controller today. Expect even more pictures in the near future!

Oooh, I think the herring are running by me now, and blue fish might be a good choice for pickling. I have a 5 gallon crock with a lid that a great uncle used for herring... that’s a lot of fish and onions!

I've caught a lot of spanish mackerel in the slot but have never kept and eaten one. I do hear they are good, but I am not a huge fan of really oily fish (and we are usually catching specks at the time!), but maybe pickled would be great. Don't know that I have ever eaten pickled fish of any kind. They look good!

Back