What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deslimeing okra. Sacrilege I know, but I don’t like okra as a thickener. Lol
IMG_0389.jpg

Visited my favorite butcher shop to pick up a couple of small things.. Most of the meat is in the deep freezer frozen but when they plop a hunk of roast right off the cow to your right in front of you, I couldn't say no.

Sous vide it at 129 with pepper, rosemary and garlic injected into it. Butter and oil too for 25 hours.

Then it was Beast pan vs. Beast burner for the first time. Worked amazingly well.

Then mashed potatoes with roasted broccoli, garlic, red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese.

The only thing not included was an Allagash Hoppy Table Beer to keep it light.

This is the second hunk of beef I've ever sous vide. The first I did was at 123 degrees. I think I would have done it a little more rare.

IMG_20180224_154219.jpg
IMG_20180224_164450.jpg
IMG_20180225_185000.jpg
IMG_20180225_185842.jpg
IMG_20180225_191536.jpg
IMG_20180225_185644.jpg
IMG_20180225_191536.jpg
IMG_20180225_192340.jpg

Problem with cooking tough cuts of beef sous vide is you shouldn’t go less than 131F if going more than 4 hours. To me 131 is “well done”.

I have two thick center-cut loin pork chops seasoned and in the sous vide. We cooked two of them a couple weeks back and those suckers were tough! They weren't overcooked, either - been cooking them the same way for years. So, into the sous vide for 9 hours at 140*, then I'm gonna sear the bejeebers out of both sides in the cast iron skillet with some bacon fat. If THAT doesn't make them tender, then I'm gonna cube the rest of them (BIG pack from Costco) and just make chile verde out of the lot of them in the pressure cooker.

I have two thick center-cut loin pork chops seasoned and in the sous vide. We cooked two of them a couple weeks back and those suckers were tough! They weren't overcooked, either - been cooking them the same way for years. So, into the sous vide for 9 hours at 140*, then I'm gonna sear the bejeebers out of both sides in the cast iron skillet with some bacon fat. If THAT doesn't make them tender, then I'm gonna cube the rest of them (BIG pack from Costco) and just make chile verde out of the lot of them in the pressure cooker.
That is the cut I use for pork loin schnitzel. Cut a one-half inch thick slice and pound to one-quarter inch. Very tender after a one minute fry.

Why did I read pork loin?? I've never been able to tenderize center cut pork chops.

I've had a number of pork loins like that from Costco in the past couple years. I had one where even a meat pounder couldn't flatten the pieces no matter how hard i hit it.

When i buy whole pork loins from there now i always pick them up and try to find the floppiest and softest one there is. So far that method hasn't failed me.

I've had a number of pork loins like that from Costco in the past couple years. I had one where even a meat pounder couldn't flatten the pieces no matter how hard i hit it.

When i buy whole pork loins from there now i always pick them up and try to find the floppiest and softest one there is. So far that method hasn't failed me.

These are the first chops I've had from Costco that weren't tender - always had good luck before!

Well, the 9 hours in the sous vide took care of THAT problem. Panseared til well browned on each side, poured a little country gravy over them, yum yum. I actually think 8 hours might be better, they were JUST getting to the point of wanting to come apart.

For a sauce that hot, seems to me like that could work well as an add-in for a sauce like Frank's, where you'd get extra heat, while still being able to actually eat the wings in question. :D

I thought same when I saw that hot sauce. Over the years I have been given two or three bottles like that. Essentially police grade pepper spray, I figured. Always thought it would be great to spice a soup or dish. Straight, it never gave me any enjoyment. Anymore, I have been enjoying hot not fire sauces.

Not a fan of most super hot commercial products. Too many use capsicum extracts to kick up the SHU. Ive got a fermented sauce from one of the guys on thehotpepper forum that is quite good but i would not call it a "super". It does contain several peppers though in that range.

Genetikx Caribbean Red
voDhQZf.jpg

My favorite commercial hab based sauce is Marie Sharps from Belize. Its cheap and has a nice flavor. Not really a fan of hab based sauces for hot wings (unless its a sweet sauce). I do love it with fried chicken though and its killer on some beans.
SmokinMarie-457x600.jpg

Try BLiS Blast if you like a mild hot sauce. I can use that stuff like ketchup.

BLiS Blast Hot Pepper Sauce is our secret blend of chipotle, arbol and cayenne chilies aged for up to a year in seasoned oak barrels that once held Kentucky bourbon, BLiS maple syrup and Founder’s Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The result is a complex hot pepper sauce with a kick of chilis combined with hints of chocolate, maple, hops, garlic, vanilla, wood and spice in one giant blast of umami.
BlisHotPpprSauce_web_edited_db__13719.1433192116.600.600.jpg

Last edited:
Pork steaks with honey and molasses BBQ sauce. Cooked the steaks as a tied whole butt first over very low heat. Warmed up the steaks with the BBQ sauce. Topped with the Caribbean Red hot sauce and fresh chopped white onions. Russian half sour brine cured pickle on the side.

Wonderfully sweet and spicy.
NdvarKL.jpg

Back