What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tacos con Sabor "Al Pastor". The pineapple combined with the pork and chilies sounds like a can't miss to me! New recipe though, so will see in a few hours.

Pineapples and chillies form the base of a lot of my hot sauces so that's got to be good based on my experience. Post the recipe if it's a winner.

I forgot to take pictures of my food tonight. I grilled some top sirloin steaks, each steak was about 2 inches thick. Mine was cooked to a perfect medium rare, the others were about a medium well. I marinated the steaks with some chopped rosemary from the herb garden, minced garlic, black pepper and some Worcestershire. I used the left over marinade to pour into the veggies (string beans, peppers, onions and potatoes) that I cooked in a foiled bag on the grill. I was too hungry to think to take a picture lol turned out wonderful though. The rosemary really came through nicely in the steak.

Tacos con Sabor "Al Pastor". The pineapple combined with the pork and chilies sounds like a can't miss to me! New recipe though, so will see in a few hours.

That reminds me, I need to make some more pineapple-chipotle salsa this Summer. Created it a few years ago with dreams of marketing it...never got off the ground, but it's a good salsa.

The new taco recipe was indeed a winner! Was good on both flour and corn tortillas, with chopped green chilies, sour cream, queso fresco, mozzarella, hot sauces, salsas, additional fresh pineapple, etc.

The recipe is available at http://pinaenlacocina.com/2015/08/06/tacos-con-sabor-al-pastor-quesadillas-gringas/

I made it pretty much like her recipe calls for. It's a little confusing. I put 1 cup of pineapple in the sauce in the blender. Then after that was smooth, I mixed in 1 additional cup of small dice pineapple before adding it all to the browned pork.

Not the best picture but I almost forgot to get one at all of the finished product :)

Tacos con Sabor Al Pastor.jpg

The new taco recipe was indeed a winner! Was good on both flour and corn tortillas, with chopped green chilies, sour cream, queso fresco, mozzarella, hot sauces, salsas, additional fresh pineapple, etc.

The recipe is available at http://pinaenlacocina.com/2015/08/06/tacos-con-sabor-al-pastor-quesadillas-gringas/

Will try that out for sure.

Here's mine out of the oven View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459701641.199998.jpg
and sliced on the plate View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459701660.800912.jpg

Thanks to this thread last week I'm currently reseasoning my cast iron skillet that hasnt been used in a good 5 years (and left in the garage and seriously neglected). Ran it through the oven self-clean cycle, scoured some rust off and washed with soapy water, now it's baking with a thin layer of olive oil. Wish I had a flax or something that can take much higher temp, but it'll do. I did just remember that I have coconut oil... maybe do that on round 2. Going to make nothing in it but bacon for awhile to get it nice and seasoned.

Hydrogenated vegetable oil (Crisco, essentially) is your best bet for seasoning a cast iron pan. But whatever's clever. Cooking lots of bacon is a good one too, because, well, bacon.

:D

I made it pretty much like her recipe calls for. It's a little confusing. I put 1 cup of pineapple in the sauce in the blender. Then after that was smooth, I mixed in 1 additional cup of small dice pineapple before adding it all to the browned pork.

Not the best picture but I almost forgot to get one at all of the finished product :)

Did you make the tortillas? I did my first flour ones last week, no turning back now.:D

Wife and kid made grilled pizza last night. Wife was hesitant to do it, but I was busy installing a new shower faucet and head, so it was up to them. She did ask me a couple of questions and got through the ordeal just fine.

They piled the stuff on top. Thick crust and lots of toppings. It was really good. I can see why people do this now.

I'm curious to see how a regular flavor pizza would taste. We've been doing chicken alfredo pizzas. I don't think the rest of the family wants to do pizza sauce pizzas now.

Made a Fried rice with carrots, ground beef, mushrooms, egg, and the usual flavorings, plus a sprinkle of cilantro. I haven't made mushrooms in a long time, because nobody else eats them here; but they were on sale and I had a craving.

img_20160404_172042090-resized-500.jpg

Mushrooms are one of my favorites! Hated them growing up. Avoided them as an adult. Love them now! Lol. I buy those big things of dried mushrooms too, because our selection tends to be limited around here. Looks great Matt

Baked Russian-style salmon & onion buns in puff pastry called Rasstegai.

The hole on top is part of the design; for extra dose of decadence, you drop in a small piece of butter in there after it's done baking.

That looks amazing! I'm down with any savory pastry that has a hole and goodies packed in it. Mmm now I want some bialy.

Back