What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a pack of BBQ I made a few months back in the freezer. Housemates put it in a ripping-hot pan to heat it up. Now it tastes like old, leftover pork - not even BBQ anymore. I can't put enough sauce on it to drown out the awful taste. No BBQ for me tonight, thanks.

FTR - I heat it up slowly in a low oven. Really, BBQ should be eaten fresh (IMHO), and reheating always makes it taste a little leftover, but when you flash-heat it, it doesn't even taste like BBQ to me (again, IMHO). No smoke, nothing but 3-week-old leftover pork roast that's been sitting uncovered in the fridge.

Bleh...

9000? Your post count shows 2671 on the one above THIS. Where you gettin' that big fancy number from, friend??? ;)

OHHHHHHHH I bet you meant PAGES - 900 on this thread - huh?? Amazing!

Thanks to Melana for starting this one. It's the one thread I make SURE I see every day!
Um, yeah! THAT'S what I meant;)

Making some foccacia with rosemary, oregano, and lemon zest. Was supposed to be thyme, instead of oregano, but...ha ha ha...ran out of thyme. Did one rise, divided...doing second rise now. Then they get a drizzle of olive oil infused with lemon zest and rosemary, another 15 minute rest/rise, then bake.

img_20160330_170231849-resized-320.jpg

Woah, didn't know this thread existed. I love cooking but don't do it as often as I used to anymore.

This past weekend (for Easter of course) I made my first attempt at a leg of lamb. Came out really good.

To 9000! Woo hoo! Dinner last night: boneless pork chop with parmesan panko crust, mixed vegetable casserole (rutabagas, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage in a cheese-bechamel with buttered panko and parmesan topping), and rice.

Grats dude! Despite the gratuitous multi post to push yourself over the edge!! Lol

Probably should have read the rest of the posts on the thread before I responded. Thought it was your 9000th post. Not really thinking at the moment, but grilled some jalapeno cheese burgers, smoked a couple of great cigars, and drank some really fine beers!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459392499.354089.jpg

Made some meatless loaf...garbanzo beans, rice, panko, an egg, sautéed onions, some seasonings. Turned out as good as a loaf without meat can be. And some salt roasted potatoes.

img_20160331_172550565_hdr-resized-500.jpg

@mattthechef - have you ever heard of boiling potatoes in salted water until the water completely evaporates? Apparently it is a South American country's way of doing it, and both they & your salt-roasted potatoes look delicious. Just curious if you'd heard of that technique.

I'll try and dig up what & where I heard about it.

@mattthechef - have you ever heard of boiling potatoes in salted water until the water completely evaporates? Apparently it is a South American country's way of doing it, and both they & your salt-roasted potatoes look delicious. Just curious if you'd heard of that technique.

I'll try and dig up what & where I heard about it.

It seems that I have heard about the technique somewhere in the past, but I've never tried it. I imagine the trick is to have the right ratio of water and salt...otherwise, it would either be bland or inedible. The salted skins on the baked potatoes really don't affect the potato flesh, but it makes the skin crispier and tasty, if you're a potato skin eater...SWMBO loves it.

Grilled asapargus, baked potato, and elk steak with chimichurri sauce. Simple, yet delicious!

Man, there isn't a thing wrong with that plate! That Elk steak, though...yum. Never had elk, but I would demolish that...looks perfectly cooked.

Oven-baked porcini & portobello risotto from last night.

As a kid, my family was invited to dinner with another family and we were served a "rice casserole" that had an intense mushroom flavor and Parmesan cheese. It was awesome! I think I asked the Mom for the recipe and I was probably 8 years old. I don't think she thought I was serious. I'm sure it was very similar to a risotto, which I had never heard of, at the time. (Probably not very many home cooks in America knew of risotto in 1971-ish, unless they had traveled to Italy or were from an Italian family.)

Yours looks delish...nice job!

I'm bach'n it this weekend since swmbo is visiting her sister so I went simple tonight. My evening consisted of... Sitting on a cliff watching the sun set over the ocean, kegging my new honey blonde ale and grilling this... Wild boar sausage from a 200 lb boar I downed last year with polenta and a sauce made from the boar sausage drippings and beef stock. Nothing fancy, not pretty, but super tasty

View attachment 1459580575394.jpg

Then a sauce of white onion, achiote paste, ancho chilies, garlic, cider vinegar, chipotles in adobo, and fresh pineapple (both blended and some just diced) goes in. Now it's doing its braise thing for the next 2 or 3 hours, then Wahoo!, Taco meat!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459629198.230635.jpg

Back