What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing fancy, but the poached salmon, was moist and tender. The key is not letting your poaching liquid get too hot.

image.jpg

Nothing fancy, but the poached salmon, was moist and tender. The key is not letting your poaching liquid get too hot.

Did you reuse the poaching liquid for something? As a soup base or so? I am a veggy, so I don´t poach fish and just wonder about that. Cause it sounds like that would be a flavorful broth thing. Any seafood soup could benifit from it. Also potentially a great base for a shrimp risotto or such I´d imagine.

I made a roux first to thicken it, and burnt the hell out of it

During the cold weather months I make gumbo every couple weeks. Last Sunday my wife decided she should make it and chose to use a butter spread for the roux - what a fubar'ed lumpy mess! Fortunately she had the sense to stop before adding anything else to it.

Ok here is the ingredient list for the general tso.
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 cups green onions, sliced
8 small dried chilies, seeds removed (bird pepper or thai chilies are good)

Cornstarch slurry

1⁄4 cup soy sauce, low sodium preferred
1 egg, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
Sauce

1⁄2 cup cornstarch
1⁄4 cup water
1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
3⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup white vinegar
1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup white wine
14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth (a can)

Directions:
Mix cornstarch slurry in a large bowl- the mixture will be strange but trust me it works. It will be VERY thick almost paste like. Add ALL the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Using a fork remove ONE chicken piece at a time and let the excess mixture drip off. YES even though the mixture has a weird consistency it will not stick like paste and the excess will drip off. Add chicken to the hot (350 degree) oil and fry until crispy. Only cook 7 or 8 chicken pieces at a time. You do not want to lower the temp of the oil by cooking too many at a time. You can use a simple cooking or candy thermometer to judge the temp of the oil.
Drain on paper towels. Want them extra crispy? Put them on a rack over a sheet pan. Keep warm- I just put them in the oven with the oven off. Repeating until all chicken is fried.
In a separate wok or large skillet add a small amount of oil and heat to 400 degrees. Again, a candy thermometer works great. (Want less dishes? You can just drain the oil after you fry all the chicken, leave a small amount (about a tsp) in the pan and use the same pan if you like.)
Add green onions and hot peppers and stir fry about 30 seconds.
Stir (or shake jar) sauce mixture, and then add to pan with onions and peppers, cook until thick. Some reviews didn't kniw what "thick" meant. Thick like the same sauce you get at a restaurant.you want it to just coat the chicken. If it gets too thick, add a little water or other liquid. The thickness of the sauce should be similar to what you get when ordering this at a restaurant.
Add chicken to sauce in wok and heat just until the chicken is hot enough for you. It may not even need a minute if you kept the chicken warm. The quicker you serve it the crispier the chicken stays.

I think adding a little ginger and orange juice in the sauce makes it better! I also have used different chillies like ancho serrano and hungarian wax. Depends on how much heat you want. This will make enough to feed at least 5 servings for adults.

Well after I got the beef curing yesterday and the cukes pickling, I rolled two cigars, showed my daughter how to can her apple butter for Christmas gifts, then cooked hamburgers and hotlinks for dinner! No pictures of the rest of that though. Apple butter was her show and her responsibility to take pictures, and hamburgers were just grilled hamburgers, not really worthy of pictures :)

Got to play with all my Weber toys yesterday. I smoked a couple chickens on the WSM, then I wrapped them in foil and held them in the 150F oven while I grilled veggies on the kettle. I reused the coals from the WSM in the kettle by just scooping them out with gloved hands and putting them in the chimney. To make the scooping/transferring process a little tidier, I put the chimney in the Smokey Joe and put it right next to the WSM.

Then I put the carcasses, necks and backs (I spachcocked the chickens) in the crockpot with onions and bay leaves and simmered it all night. Smokey soup for lunch!

Cooking the proposed curry chili right now. Used a handful of piri piri chilis and might have signed my executioners order with it. They seem hotter than expected. After washing my hand I touched my face. My cheek has been burning or 15min now...

However the onions, garlic, coconut milk, chilis, broth cubes, madras curry, and lemon grass mix heating up smells glorious.

Making three gallons of chicken stock. Simmering away on the stove right now. I always buy whole chickens. My wife likes boneless breasts and I like the legs and thighs. So I just cut them off and then put the carcass in the freezer until I accumulate enough for stock. I have not bought chicken stock in probably 30 years.

I then freeze it in one and two cup containers. When I need some it is always available. Easy.

Also getting ready to start a batch of beef, mushroom barley soup for dinner.

Cooking the proposed curry chili right now. Used a handful of piri piri chilis and might have signed my executioners order with it. They seem hotter than expected. After washing my hand I touched my face. My cheek has been burning or 15min now...

However the onions, garlic, coconut milk, chilis, broth cubes, madras curry, and lemon grass mix heating up smells glorious.

Be careful what you touch when you go to the bathroom!

I cut up a ghost & a fatalii pepper yesterday to dry hop/pepper the IIPA with. Got the juices on two fingers & haven't been able to wash it out yet!

First batch of chicken stock is in the pressure canner, cooling off. 8 pint jars. Next batch will go in when that one has dropped pressure. I expect we'll get at least 16 pints if not more.

The stock cooked all night long, which made for some very yummy smells in the wee morning hours. In addition to the 4 bottles of homebrewed Porter in it, we opened a bottle of Pinot Noir that wasn't up to drinking standards and that went into the soup pot too. BOY is that good stuff!

I love opening my pantry and seeing all those homecanned jars of goodness in there.

Ok here is the ingredient list for the general tso.
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
2 cups green onions, sliced
8 small dried chilies, seeds removed (bird pepper or thai chilies are good)

Cornstarch slurry

1⁄4 cup soy sauce, low sodium preferred
1 egg, beaten
1 cup cornstarch
Sauce

1⁄2 cup cornstarch
1⁄4 cup water
1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
3⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1⁄4 cup white vinegar
1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup white wine
14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth (a can)

Directions:
Mix cornstarch slurry in a large bowl- the mixture will be strange but trust me it works. It will be VERY thick almost paste like. Add ALL the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Using a fork remove ONE chicken piece at a time and let the excess mixture drip off. YES even though the mixture has a weird consistency it will not stick like paste and the excess will drip off. Add chicken to the hot (350 degree) oil and fry until crispy. Only cook 7 or 8 chicken pieces at a time. You do not want to lower the temp of the oil by cooking too many at a time. You can use a simple cooking or candy thermometer to judge the temp of the oil.
Drain on paper towels. Want them extra crispy? Put them on a rack over a sheet pan. Keep warm- I just put them in the oven with the oven off. Repeating until all chicken is fried.
In a separate wok or large skillet add a small amount of oil and heat to 400 degrees. Again, a candy thermometer works great. (Want less dishes? You can just drain the oil after you fry all the chicken, leave a small amount (about a tsp) in the pan and use the same pan if you like.)
Add green onions and hot peppers and stir fry about 30 seconds.
Stir (or shake jar) sauce mixture, and then add to pan with onions and peppers, cook until thick. Some reviews didn't kniw what "thick" meant. Thick like the same sauce you get at a restaurant.you want it to just coat the chicken. If it gets too thick, add a little water or other liquid. The thickness of the sauce should be similar to what you get when ordering this at a restaurant.
Add chicken to sauce in wok and heat just until the chicken is hot enough for you. It may not even need a minute if you kept the chicken warm. The quicker you serve it the crispier the chicken stays.

I like to go more authentic & use thigh-meat. I have made something like this before, and will try this recipe next!

:)

So now my brisket is trimed, tucked into the cure, and in the fridge. I also make some Kosher Dill refrigerator pickles this morning. Cukes were a little bigger than I wanted but it's all I could find. In a week or so I will find out if these are any good or not :)

I'm so jealous of the pastrami now you need some black and white cookies

In addition to the 4 bottles of homebrewed Porter in it, we opened a bottle of Pinot Noir that wasn't up to drinking standards and that went into the soup pot too. BOY is that good stuff!

Love cooking with beer/wine. I have two kegs of so-so HB that are our designated cooking beers.

Before you wash your hands with soap, rub white vinegar into them. Might take several applications but usually works on the first or second...

Crock Pot pork on the homemade kraut...not particularly pretty, but tastes mighty good. Made some egg slad, too, but SWMBO made off with it before I could get a photo. Roasted off another pumpkin.

IMG_20151115_175618958.jpg

IMG_20151115_153815131.jpg

IMG_20151115_162527721.jpg

Before you wash your hands with soap, rub white vinegar into them. Might take several applications but usually works on the first or second...

I'll have to remeber that. I often use the baggie trick. Take a couple of plactic bags to use as gloves, but sometimes when I am in a hurry I just chop up some hot peppers without them.

Hi friends!

It's been a minute, since I posted here. I hope you have all been well.

After a quick scroll through this thread, I am reminded that I need to visit here more often for ideas. You guys and gals are some great chefs!

Here's what I cooked today. Homemade pizza directly on the grill. I love doing it this way. Great crispy, crunch from the fire, and the flavor from the coal (charcoal and pecan wood) is fantastic. This one has onion, yellow squash, red bell pepper, shrooms... all grilled. Plus peperoni and some chunks of brisket that I smoked yesterday. It would have been amazing with a beer, but I am not drinking tonight due to fighting a cold.

Be well friends! Cheers!

IMG_20151115_164845.jpg

Hi friends!

It's been a minute, since I posted here. I hope you have all been well.

After a quick scroll through this thread, I am reminded that I need to visit here more often for ideas. You guys and gals are some great chefs!

Here's what I cooked today. Homemade pizza directly on the grill. I love doing it this way. Great crispy, crunch from the fire, and the flavor from the coal (charcoal and pecan wood) is fantastic. This one has onion, yellow squash, red bell pepper, shrooms... all grilled. Plus peperoni and some chunks of brisket that I smoked yesterday. It would have been amazing with a beer, but I am not drinking tonight due to fighting a cold.

Be well friends! Cheers!

You know it....love grilled pizza especially when camping

I like to go more authentic & use thigh-meat. I have made something like this before, and will try this recipe next!

:)

I agree but kids and swmbo likes breast meat so went with that. I prefer thigh as well. However the chicken was very juicy but crispy at the same time. So i did enjoy it. Also i used vegetable oil.. To be more authentic peanut oil needs to be used. My little one is allergic to peanuts so i sub'ed the oil out. Next recipe i have is for teriyaki chicken on a stick. Hopefully the rest of the ingredients arrive by wednesday so i can prepare for the weekend. I live in a small area with no asian markets near by.

I agree but kids and swmbo likes breast meat so went with that. I prefer thigh as well. However the chicken was very juicy but crispy at the same time. So i did enjoy it. Also i used vegetable oil.. To be more authentic peanut oil needs to be used. My little one is allergic to peanuts so i sub'ed the oil out. Next recipe i have is for teriyaki chicken on a stick. Hopefully the rest of the ingredients arrive by wednesday so i can prepare for the weekend. I live in a small area with no asian markets near by.

*Mildly Political Response Here* Thank you for ordering online rather than going to Wal-Mart for Asian grocery goods.

Did you reuse the poaching liquid for something? As a soup base or so? I am a veggy, so I don´t poach fish and just wonder about that. Cause it sounds like that would be a flavorful broth thing. Any seafood soup could benifit from it. Also potentially a great base for a shrimp risotto or such I´d imagine.

No, I tend to give it a splash of white wine and some herbs, it sounds like a good idea, however it isn't strong on flavor like a broth, and it tends to have gray coagulated proteins in it. I might investigate your idea, though and make a poaching liquid with the intention of using it. :rockin:

No, I tend to give it a splash of white wine and some herbs, it sounds like a good idea, however it isn't strong on flavor like a broth, and it tends to have gray coagulated proteins in it. I might investigate your idea, though and make a poaching liquid with the intention of using it. :rockin:

Interesting. If it isn´t like a broth I´d imagine it to have a lot of underlying umami flavor though, similar to a kombu dashi which by itself is nothing much too, but due to the umami is a base for things like ramen.
One could try to strain it through a cheesecloth or such and see if that rids the proteins.
Then one might have an umami heavy base for a broth.

Just thinking out loud here or course. Maybe it is just something to be dumped, sure, but I am one who likes to use everything if I can. Too much flavor is thrown away by too many people.

Nothing fancy. Just Scalloped Potatoes and Ham to take to my oldest in college when we went to watch Michigan State play on Saturday.

Also had a 1/2 lb of ground beef, so I made a small batch of Shepherd's Pie at the same time. Baked that in a bread pan.

Both were passable. Shepherd's pie burned my mouth as usual.

Took it pretty easy on cooking this weekend... But made a really good/simple pierogi bake.

Started with marinating chicken in garlic, Italian seasoning, salt/pepper and oil for about an hour.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683490.931812.jpg

Cut up some onion/peppers/spinach

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683523.761733.jpg

Fried up some bacon in a sauce pan

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683550.559792.jpg

Removed bacon, added ~6 oz of cream cheese and 3/4 cup chicken stock to the bacon grease.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683633.635740.jpg

Cooked peppers/chicken/spinach in a separate pan.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683696.199595.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683705.289127.jpg

Added the sauce to the pan, sprayed a ceramic baking dish and put frozen pierogis on the bottom. Dumped the chicken mixture over the pierogis and topped with shredded cheese.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683805.605279.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683830.767031.jpg

Baked @ 400 for ~20 minutes and topped with chopped bacon.

Had with store bought Texas toast. Another quick simple dish, but very good. Comfort food to the max.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683912.974820.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447683957.180185.jpg

Nothing fancy. Just Scalloped Potatoes and Ham to take to my oldest in college when we went to watch Michigan State play on Saturday.

Also had a 1/2 lb of ground beef, so I made a small batch of Shepherd's Pie at the same time. Baked that in a bread pan.

Both were passable. Shepherd's pie burned my mouth as usual.

Dead skin on roof of mouth? I have that too from an impetuous attack on my pot of gumbo I made this weekend.

Back