What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I brought my leftovers lunch.

Ironically, I get to directly compare my home made rosemary roasted chicken with fall veg (butternut squash, carrots, rutabaga) to the free thanksgiving dinner at work.

Wonder if it will be better than the tube turkey (literally sliced into rounds with no meat texture), dried out tasteless stuffing, and whatever that broccoli mayo side thing is....every year.

Yeah, the dogs are sheep casings and the brats/Italian are hog. The sheep I've got are finicky because they're so delicate it's easy to blow a hole in them. You have to balance between stuffing really slow and going faster but running the risk of not sliding the casing off fast enough and ending up with a mess.
I don't mind artificial casings on snack sticks and the like, but prefer things on the grill to have the snap and easier chew of natural casings.

I just threw some hog casings in with something else that I had to have immediately from Amazon. I have everything I need to have my first go at sausage making.

I really want to get some sheep casings because I love that size sausage. When I visit my relative on the coast in MS I bring back 20 lbs or more of Conekuh sausage that I can't get here in Texas. It's a smaller diameter (sheep probably) and it is my favorite sausage to use in Gumbos and Red Beans. I want to duplicate that eventually!

I just threw some hog casings in with something else that I had to have immediately from Amazon. I have everything I need to have my first go at sausage making.

I really want to get some sheep casings because I love that size sausage. When I visit my relative on the coast in MS I bring back 20 lbs or more of Conekuh sausage that I can't get here in Texas. It's a smaller diameter (sheep probably) and it is my favorite sausage to use in Gumbos and Red Beans. I want to duplicate that eventually!

Sheep are nice because they are nearly invisible when you eat them (can't even tell they're there). But you really need to make sure your stuffing horn is significantly smaller than your casings to avoid tearing and swearing. Once these are gone I think I'm going to try the smallest hog casings I can get just to avoid the frustration.

http://screencast.com/t/1u3Dd8fQo

I have eatten sausage in texas, lousiana, arkansas, florida.

I stumbled on a mom an pop gas station/ butcher shop if you ever get a chance
it is worth it

Don't judge, it has been a looooong week already.

picsay-1447804934.jpg

Chicken Parmesan. One of the kids did most of the work.

chickyparm.jpg

Dangit, you stole my idea! I also made chicken parm tonight. Used jarred Emeril's marinara sauce, but I churched it up with some bacon grease. Used chicken tenders instead of whole breast, served it with some asparagus & apple sauce.

No pics, didn't happen, but it was delicious!

:)

Dangit, you stole my idea! I also made chicken parm tonight. Used jarred Emeril's marinara sauce, but I churched it up with some bacon grease. Used chicken tenders instead of whole breast, served it with some asparagus & apple sauce.

No pics, didn't happen, but it was delicious!

We made cutlets and pounded them out. Tender like tenderloin.

Usually I make sauce, but sauce in a jar makes it easy.

10# more of andouille made tonight. That stuff is so good. I was gonna make a different sausage, but this stuff is so good. I'm going to use some of it in stuffing for tday.

Damn! I love andouille stuffing with cranberries. ....we used to get a huge flank and have the butcher run it through the tenderizer and make rouladen been a while

Don't judge, it has been a looooong week already.

View attachment 316735

Dont Judge ? Looks like a perfectly normal dinner to me.

If I were to judge it on a scale of 1-10 for

"i'm tired,dont feel like fool'n with dinner scale"

I'd give you a 7. only because I dont see any p-nut butter or pepper jack
if those are Ritz crackers..solid 8

but I aint Judging a.gif

Here is my , It is 6pm,I am beat,kids are hungry recipe

ingredients
2 frozen 9'' deep pie shells
1 lg can dinty moore beef stew

pre heat oven 350 degrees
open can
pour into pie shell
cover with other pie shell, pinch edges.stick with fork
cook till G brown

Dont Judge ? Looks like a perfectly normal dinner to me.

If I were to judge it on a scale of 1-10 for

"i'm tired,dont feel like fool'n with dinner scale"

I'd give you a 7. only because I dont see any p-nut butter or pepper jack

if those are Ritz crackers..solid 8

but I aint Judging View attachment 316878

Here is my , It is 6pm,I am beat,kids are hungry recipe

ingredients

2 frozen 9'' deep pie shells

1 lg can dinty moore beef stew

pre heat oven 350 degrees

open can

pour into pie shell

cover with other pie shell, pinch edges.stick with fork

cook till G brown

Haven't had Dinty Moore beef stew in years. Is it as good as I remember?

OK, quick & dirty, huh? My fave - dump a handful of the Chili & Cheese flavored Fritos in a bowl. Cover with a handful of shredded cheese. Nuke til melted. Heat a can of Dennison's Hot chili. Cover Fritos. Add another handful of cheese. Nuke til melted. Add chopped onions and chopped avocado to the top. Dig in!

10# more of andouille made tonight. That stuff is so good. I was gonna make a different sausage, but this stuff is so good. I'm going to use some of it in stuffing for tday.

If you ever decide to try making boudin, let me know. I will gladly be your guinea pig for tasting!

If you ever decide to try making boudin, let me know. I will gladly be your guinea pig for tasting!

I made Boudin blanc (no blood). Made a ton of it about 5 years ago. Here's a vid of my son (on right) and his friend doing the stuffing. I'm all about child labor :) Those two are roomates at Univ of FL right now. Both pre-med. :rockin: Mine is a junior (skipped a couple of yrs of high school), and his buddy is a frosh. I've posted this video here before, but wth more pics is more better.

Last edited by a moderator:
@passedpawn - we LOVE that video and in fact we found that one on YouTube before we knew about HBT and before we bought our sausage stuffer - those two boys are one of the main reasons we bought a very similar stuffer and started making sausages - figured if THEY could do it, surely WE could figure it out too! :)

Of course now that I know your son is smart enough to have skipped two years of high school and is pre-med - not so sure my reasoning was sound....

I made Boudin blanc (no blood). Made a ton of it about 5 years ago. Here's a vid of my son (on right) and his friend doing the stuffing. I'm all about child labor :) Those two are roomates at Univ of FL right now. Both pre-med. :rockin: Mine is a junior (skipped a couple of yrs of high school), and his buddy is a frosh. I've posted this video here before, but wth more pics is more better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9IBEGDxzF0

That... is AWESOME!!! Nice stuff, Andrew!

My buddy that helps pay for my HBing is from Louisiana, and gets boudin (blanc, I didn't know there was a dark version) shipped up as a Christmas present from one of his relatives every year. The first time I had it, I fell in love. The second time I had it, I affirmed that love, and the third time was still a heavenly experience.

I am looking forward to the fourth time I get to try it!!!

That... is AWESOME!!! Nice stuff, Andrew!

My buddy that helps pay for my HBing is from Louisiana, and gets boudin (blanc, I didn't know there was a dark version) shipped up as a Christmas present from one of his relatives every year. The first time I had it, I fell in love. The second time I had it, I affirmed that love, and the third time was still a heavenly experience.

I am looking forward to the fourth time I get to try it!!!

their are some mighty tasty boo'don makers around this area.
see'n as I live almost on the Ms/Lou line,

Try this here, see if you like it,

squirrel food

this is not a BS recipe, this stuff is FINE as h***
when ever i make it, it lasts about 2 hours before its gone,

Ingredients
•1 1/4 cup white sugar shopping list
•1 1/4 cup flour shopping list
•1 tsp. baking powder shopping list
•1 tsp. salt shopping list
•1/2 cup soft margerine shopping list
•1 egg shopping list
•1 cup broken pecans shopping list
•2 egg whites shopping list
•1 cup dark brown sugar shopping list
•1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
How to make it
•Mix togather 1st 6 , like pie crust
•spread into a 9x13 pan
•press broken pecan meats into top of the crust
•whip egg white until dry.
•fold in brown sugar and beat until smooth.
•add vanilla and beat again until smooth
•spread on top of crust/ pecan layer
•bake for about 40 minutes at 375
•do not over cook it will spoil flavor
•cut into 48 peices while still warm
•my grandmothers love lives on in this recipe

squirrel food 002.JPG

@passedpawn - we LOVE that video and in fact we found that one on YouTube before we knew about HBT and before we bought our sausage stuffer

I remember you saying that before. That's quite a coincidence given the number of videos there.

The kid is a born surgeon.

Gastroenterologist maybe, considering his way with intestines.

Spaghetti squash (with browned sage butter, parmesan, and taragon) and chicken. It's the first time I ever made spaghetti squash. Not the last!

_mg_1185-66450.jpg

Nice! I just recently got into spaghetti squash as well....

And, like you, I don't do the sweet stuff (brown sugar, etc.) or use as spaghetti.

I toss with crumbled bacon, parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and a bit of butter or olive oil.

Cheap, great, and kinda healthy. ;)

never seen spaghetti squash before,,i like both, outta be good

chicken spaghetti

Ingredients
1 3 1/2 lb chicken
1 chopped green pepper
1 can mushrooms
1 10 oz pkg thin spaghetti
1 cup chopped onion
1 sm. can pimentos, diced
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup cooking oil
salt and pepper
a pinch of my big bam season recipe
2 tbl snipped parsley
1/2 lb. velvetta cheese

How to make it
cook chicken in salt water till tender
debone and dice chicken
strain chicken broth and measure it.
add water to make 3 quarts.
add spaghetti to broth and cook 15 minutes.
saute celery,onion,bell pepper in oil untill tender and browned.
add to spaghetti.
make a thick white sauce using; 1/4 stick oleo,melted.
3 tbl flour, and liquid drained from mushrooms, add to spaghetti, mix in chicken, pimento,parsley, and mushrooms.
fill casserole dish and top with gratted cheese, heat until hot and bubbly in oven

never seen spaghetti squash before,,i like both, outta be good

chicken spaghetti

Ingredients
1 3 1/2 lb chicken
1 chopped green pepper
1 can mushrooms
1 10 oz pkg thin spaghetti
1 cup chopped onion
1 sm. can pimentos, diced
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup cooking oil
salt and pepper
a pinch of my big bam season recipe
2 tbl snipped parsley
1/2 lb. velvetta cheese

How to make it
cook chicken in salt water till tender
debone and dice chicken
strain chicken broth and measure it.
add water to make 3 quarts.
add spaghetti to broth and cook 15 minutes.
saute celery,onion,bell pepper in oil untill tender and browned.
add to spaghetti.
make a thick white sauce using; 1/4 stick oleo,melted.
3 tbl flour, and liquid drained from mushrooms, add to spaghetti, mix in chicken, pimento,parsley, and mushrooms.
fill casserole dish and top with gratted cheese, heat until hot and bubbly in oven

Say whaaaat? Is this super good....i would guess mushroom sauce might need 3 not 2 tbl spoons of butter? So many options with this

Just pulled another big batch of andouille off the smoker. Not sure what to do with it all. I still have lots left from the last batch (just traded some of it to my neighbor for charcoal, which I ran out of).

_mg_1189-66451.jpg

I'll send you my address!

:D

Just pulled another big batch of andouille off the smoker. Not sure what to do with it all. I still have lots left from the last batch (just traded some of it to my neighbor for charcoal, which I ran out of).

_mg_1189-66451.jpg

Those are some beautiful sausages! That spaghetti squash looks quite tasty too! Hmmm, how to use excess andouille? How about using it to put a spin on cassoulet? Just the thing for a chilly day; well maybe not so chilly in FL, but still tasty. Might be great on pizza too.
Well done Passed! :mug:
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back