What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10299934_10202662870066045_8220373973627185972_n-63051.jpg

Orange brined, cast iron seared pork loin medallions with a pomegranate balsamic and rosemary reduction

Mmm...morels! Someone mentioned morels. I wish we had fresh morels! Visited Seattle once and got some at Pike's Market. They were awesome.

And for those of us who don't like mayo...

Western North Carolina Slaw:
Whisk together 1/3 cup ketchup or BBQ sauce of choice, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, and 1/4 tsp. hot sauce in a bowl. Add 1/2 head cabbage (about 1 lb.), grated, and 1/4 large sweet onion, grated; toss to coat. Let stand 1 hour before serving, tossing occasionally.

Westerners...Blech! 😆

Mmm...morels! Someone mentioned morels. I wish we had fresh morels! Visited Seattle once and got some at Pike's Market. They were awesome.

I havent found any this year and I think I missed the window. Ive never seen them at the market though which would be awesome, just find them and pick them.

Not the weekend but took some leftover pork that I chopped up and made pizza. Base is one of my favorite BBQ sauces from Lucile's in So. Cal. (may be elsewhere but I have the sauce shipped), I buttered the crust and spread cayenne pepper all over it, added monterey and mozzarella cheese, pork, then more cheese and sliced onions. Next time I'll sauté the onions a bit first and add red pepper.

image-4.jpg

Not the weekend but took some leftover pork that I chopped up and made pizza. Base is one of my favorite BBQ sauces from Lucile's in So. Cal. (may be elsewhere but I have the sauce shipped), I buttered the crust and spread cayenne pepper all over it, added monterey and mozzarella cheese, pork, then more cheese and sliced onions. Next time I'll sauté the onions a bit first and add red pepper.

View attachment 202275

Dayum! That looks goooood!

Wife made mushroom ravioli in Alfredo sauce for dinner.

I didn't eat all day before that, so I'm still hungry.

Time to cook "dessert"!

How do you like your Anova? I debated over the Anova and Sansaire. Both got good reviews and decided with the Sansaire. It has performed well so far.

Dan

Dan6310

I adore Garam Masala - but have never heard of Tandoori Masala - what would you say the differences are in the two spice mixtures?

Even Garam Masalas vary - I have one that is more cinnamon-y/clove-y and one that is more cumin-y - I like the former one better.

Your meal looks just excellent! :rockin:

The Garam I get here is dark & heavy on the cinnamon & clove; this Tandoori Masala was much lighter, really much more like a curry than anything else. It was quite aromatic & smelled strongly of cumin, but in the actual taste the cumin was rather light.

I'd never heard of Tandoori Masala either, till I saw it in the store. They have a bulk section for herbs, spices & teas so you can buy as little or as much as you like; handy for trying out new spices. I've seen recipes for Tandoori chicken, but I've never tried it; I'm guessing this Tandoori Masala is a key ingredient for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoori_masala
Regards, GF.

Loads are actually a very specific unit of measurement. It is a volume of food equal to the size of a bull's scrotum.

Doesnt the unit of load measure differ with the adjective that is used in conjunction with it. Such as butt loads, crap loads, etc? One would think that Bull loads would not work in all situations.

Doesnt the unit of load measure differ with the adjective that is used in conjunction with it. Such as butt loads, crap loads, etc? One would think that Bull loads would not work in all situations.

Are we talking metric butt-loads (mBL), or imperial (iBL)? Or US standard (uBL)?

Yes, it matters. :ban:

Late last week I smoked a Corned Beef Brisket to make some pastrami. Last night I was craving some bacon and we didn't have any, so I sliced that brisket kind of thin and fried it in a pan.

BAM!

Beef Bacon with steamed Asparagus!

It wasn't bad for fake bacon. I've tasted worse actual bacon, to be honest.

Late last week I smoked a Corned Beef Brisket to make some pastrami. Last night I was craving some bacon and we didn't have any, so I sliced that brisket kind of thin and fried it in a pan.

BAM!

Beef Bacon with steamed Asparagus!

It wasn't bad for fake bacon. I've tasted worse actual bacon, to be honest.

Pastrami...bacon? That sounds absolutely heavenly. Combining two awesome food products to make something new. Kudos fine sir.

Pastrami...bacon? That sounds absolutely heavenly. Combining two awesome food products to make something new. Kudos fine sir.

I can't take credit. I caught a bit of text on a website while looking into the difference between Pastrami and smoked corned beef brisket that mentioned frying it like bacon.

When I saw the fat marbling I knew I had to try it.

The Garam I get here is dark & heavy on the cinnamon & clove; this Tandoori Masala was much lighter, really much more like a curry than anything else. It was quite aromatic & smelled strongly of cumin, but in the actual taste the cumin was rather light.

I'd never heard of Tandoori Masala either, till I saw it in the store. They have a bulk section for herbs, spices & teas so you can buy as little or as much as you like; handy for trying out new spices. I've seen recipes for Tandoori chicken, but I've never tried it; I'm guessing this Tandoori Masala is a key ingredient for that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandoori_masala
Regards, GF.

I don't want to be "that guy" but...

Curry refers to a dish, not any spice or blend. And curry powder isn't even Indian.

In my experience "Tandoori Masala" has just been either Garam Masala or Madras with anatto added for that bright red color.

Curry refers to a dish, not any spice or blend. And curry powder isn't even Indian.

In my experience "Tandoori Masala" has just been either Garam Masala or Madras with anatto added for that bright red color.

Oh you're "that guy"…with ease. ;)

Curry has a number of definitions.

I'm not well versed in the culinary ways of India, Pakistan, etc...
So I can only go by what the label on the product container says, I understand what you're saying though, the wiki basically said the name "Tandoori Masala" meant "clay oven spice mixture," (I'm paraphrasing) and the ingredients & amounts varied from region to region. We have to call it something, I guess calling the various & similar spice blends from that region collectively "curry," or "Tandoori," or"Garam" was easier for the international spice traders. It might not be as accurate as it could be, but it at least gives us westerners a common frame of reference.
Regards, GF.

Grilled cheeseburgers for visiting family last night and it was a big hit. Got a pork butt in the smoker for tonight's dinner. I'm getting to play with ALL my Weber toys this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back