What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xanthan gum. Anybody use this?

On a lark I bought some a couple of years ago. Any time I make any kind of sauce that needs to be thickened, I use it. Just made some sweet carrot habanero sauce with it. Also used in gumbo, various cream sauces, piccata, other stuff I can't remember. Haven't added to ice cream yet, but soon.

Can be added hot or cold. Add small amounts while stirring to keep it from clumping. Too much and stuff gets stringy/snotty, so go easy.

Xanthan gum. Anybody use this?

Can be added hot or cold. Add small amounts while stirring to keep it from clumping. Too much and stuff gets stringy/snotty, so go easy.

I love that stuff! Our local walmart sells a yeast sachet sized packet in the GF section for less than a dollar. In the quantities i use, a pack lasts me a year.

As you mention it's strong stuff. A 1/8t is more than enough to gel a cup of sauce. I always add it very slowly while mixing or whisking because it clumps insanely bad.

It made a world of difference in my homemade ice cream. It totally solved the issue of grainy icy texture and stability. It never gets hard frozen anymore and never gets freezer burn. I hear carrageenan and guar are a better combination for ice cream but i haven't tried yet. I wouldn't even make homemade ice cream again unless i had it on hand. It's a game changer.

I also use it in some real mayo (light mayo doesn't need it) based sauces that I've had issues with it breaking if left overnight in the fridge. Again, problem solved. I just used some yesterday for this purpose.

I've had less success with it in marinades and dressings. It's highly effective for thickening but it seems to dull the flavors horribly. I've given up on it for that. I tried to use it in place of corn starch slurry for an asian sauce once.... that was a disaster.

My wife's ex-SIL uses a metric f-ton in baked goods since she's glutarded and swears it's about the only way to make breads, cookies, etc hold together.

---EDIT: Ice Cream Recipe ----
480g heavy whipping cream
480g 2% milk
2t vanilla (for vanilla, or other flavor extract instead)
150g sugar
30g light corn syrup
2.2g xanthan gum
4 XL egg yolks

Whisk sugar and xanthan gum together (this will prevent clumps). Add egg yolks and whisk until mixture starts to turn a lighter yellow. Set aside.

Bring milk and cream to bare simmer. Remove from heat and temper some of the dairy into the eggs until the temperature is raised. Add the rest of the dairy and return the mixture to low heat until it reaches 170F, whisky near constant but slowly.

Remove from heat, cover and chill overnight.

Before churning, add flavor extract of choice. Most of these flavor extracts and oils are quite volatile so if you add earlier in the process they get evaporated off during final cook. This is the better time to add.

I use glucomannan powder, I've had better luck with it than with the xanthan gum, but if you've learned to use it effectively then that's the thing to use!

I add the glu powder to my baked goods as well. It really does help from a texture/moisture standpoint.

I use glucomannan powder, I've had better luck with it than with the xanthan gum, but if you've learned to use it effectively then that's the thing to use!

I add the glu powder to my baked goods as well. It really does help from a texture/moisture standpoint.

Caught me on a spellin error. Will correct above, and thanks.

Do you use it in your regular gluten-positive baking?

Do you use it in your regular gluten-positive baking?

I use it to make bran muffins for KOTC, but they don't have regular flour in them. They DO have lots of raw wheat bran though!

I don't do a lot of baking with flour, which is really why I have the glucomannan - it helps give back some of the properties you lose with the low-carb flours. Mostly, though, I use it to thicken liquids, like gravies, stews, etc. where I would have used flour previously.

I just had to take a pic of the saddest most monochrome plate I've ever put together. We took off on a vacation Tuesday and, Sunday the MIL gave us a couple kohlrabi from their garden (they're traveling with us so we had to eat up the four or five kohlrabi that were ready before we left.)

Anyway, SWMBO asked for some simple white fish kind of chuckling because she knew what that would look like on the plate. I said heck with it and threw in some couscous. The dill is the sole splash of color in the whole thing.

Damn tasty though. Probably because I literally used a whole stick of butter and a heap of garlic.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1500461105.747013.jpg

0A88FCA9-9A74-43E3-9986-3612C97E9CBB_zpsw30wojqf.jpg

Seared sea scallops with a corn and tomato salad. :mug:

Az_ipa the shrimp look awesome, but that salad stole the show for me. I have no off switch around something like that.

I've been way busy the last month or two with work and 10,000 home chores and have not been posting much. Nothing special much cooked except a 12 lb pork butt that i made breakfast sausage out of 3 lbs a smoked pulled pork out of the rest with slaw and a cool sauce.

Today, Sorpotel, but without all the traditional heart, kidneys, etc. Just normal pork meat.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1500837975.591592.jpg

I eat/cook a lot of seafood and I literally live on the shores of the largest system of freshwater lakes on the planet where we have access to lots of good seafood ...

... but I just spent a week in New England and ... holy s*%#, I have never had such flipping fabulous seafood ever in my life.

Haven't been cooking as much because of summer and lots of things to do. I'm itching to try something new. Just got to get a handle on this small roofing thing, and then maybe I'll cook dinner again. I'm ready for some summer veggies. Wish the whole family could agree on how to cook them.

No kidding. Friday my BIL and new SIL (we're here for their wedding) went to the docks - not the grocery store, not the fish market - but literally to the docks to wait for the boats to come in and got the scallops and lobsters and clams. Fresh as can be.

SIL prepared the scallops simply - olive oil, honey, salt and lemon and threw them on the grill until done. Far and away the best scallops I've ever had. Lobsters and clams were boiled and they were ... i'm speechless.

The other side of SWMBO's family lives in Oklahoma. Holy crap, the quality of the beef down there ...

I've been way busy the last month or two with work and 10,000 home chores and have not been posting much. Nothing special much cooked except a 12 lb pork butt that i made breakfast sausage out of 3 lbs a smoked pulled pork out of the rest with slaw and a cool sauce.

Today, Sorpotel, but without all the traditional heart, kidneys, etc. Just normal pork meat.
View attachment 408405

Man, these dishes you make always look nice.

Tried out the new meat grinder today. 50-50 buffalo tri tip/bacon burgers with grilled bacon on top with a little egg action. Also added some grilled onion. Went open face with a slick of brioche on the bottom

Ooh lala, i like the egg.

Lots of beef tenderloin lately, seared in pan in thin layer of butter. Tonight had left over filet with scrambled eggs, crispy fries, fresh fruit, and super buttery crispy grilled cheese sandwiches with kraft slices and balongna. The kids literally stuffed their faces. I was just happy to save the money and calories from ordering pizza.

View attachment 1501060687617.jpg

I eat/cook a lot of seafood and I literally live on the shores of the largest system of freshwater lakes on the planet where we have access to lots of good seafood ...

... but I just spent a week in New England and ... holy s*%#, I have never had such flipping fabulous seafood ever in my life.

Funny, I live on the Altantic coast, and I never call fresh water fishes "seafood". Sort of a pet peeve of mine when I look at a menu and see tilapia or trout listed under the heading seafood. Glad you enjoyed yourself and the good seafood! :D

So after a week on vacation and stuffing our faces with seafood, beer and meals that ... well, were wonderful but not our usually healthy meals, I tried something I've wanted to experiment with before our garden veggies are ready: grilled ratatouille.

I folded a pan out of heavy duty aluminum foil and put it on the grill over indirect heat. I cubed up a grocery store eggplant and added the first of our garden's cherry tomatoes, half of a sliced red onion, two cloves of minced garlic, a liberal lug of olive oil and a small handful of salt. All that went into the foil pan and cooked for 30 minutes or so, until the eggplant started to soften and the tomatoes started to split open.

I then sliced two zucchinis down the middle, rubbed a little olive oil on them and put them cut-side down on direct heat and turned a couple times. Once they were a little charred and soft, I chopped them and added to the rest.

A quick stir, and it was ready for serving. Remarkably satisfying just on its own. Can't wait for our own eggplants and more tomatoes to be ready!

Back