What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loin, not the tenderloin. Fattier. Always cook til pink in the center.

Hmmm... I see. Didn't know that.

We had a local place serve Lion. They caught holy hell, though the lion was from a farm used just for this purpose. Wonder if it was tender. Tenderlion. I took one of my boys there and the lion was gone and elk was the exotic carne du jour.

Cast iron seared ribeye basted in thyme and garlic butter.

IMG_20170707_192152_432.jpg

went looking for turtle meat on Amazon..

We had a local place serve Lion. They caught holy hell, though the lion was from a farm used just for this purpose. Wonder if it was tender. Tenderlion. I took one of my boys there and the lion was gone and elk was the exotic carne du jour.

I wouldn't think it would be to difficult to find fresh snapping turtle down in Florida somewhere! But, I am frequently wrong. If you find it, it is well worth a try!

Granted, I've never had 'farm raised' lion, but IMO predators are high on the food chain for a very good reason. They taste horrible. Lean, gristly, tough stringy meat. A friend of mine went Mountain Lion hunting a couple years ago and offered me a steak. From then on, I will always politely decline. Elk on the other hand is deee-lish! I think its about time to enter in for the permit lottery again :D

Suddenly the sloppy joes I made for dinner are less appealing thinking of fresh Elk steaks over the camp fire *sigh*

Side note/question. Has anyone ever heard of sloppy joes called 'made-rights'? I have never heard that in my entire life and ran into two people calling them that last week. Is it a regional thing, or were they off their rocker?

….
Side note/question. Has anyone ever heard of sloppy joes called 'made-rights'? …..

Maid-Rite---Iowa chain of loose meat sandwiches, very similar to sloppy joe. I believe they have beef broth/worchester sauce base, and not ketchup/tomatoes like sloppy joes.

Side note/question. Has anyone ever heard of sloppy joes called 'made-rights'? I have never heard that in my entire life and ran into two people calling them that last week. Is it a regional thing, or were they off their rocker?

Less sauce than a sloppy joe in my experience. Also, Never heard the term outside of Iowa.
Regards, GF.

Maid-Rite---Iowa chain of loose meat sandwiches, very similar to sloppy joe. I believe they have beef broth/worchester sauce base, and not ketchup/tomatoes like sloppy joes.

Less sauce than a sloppy joe in my experience. Also, Never heard the term outside of Iowa.
Regards, GF.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I suppose it makes sense considering I was at a get-together in Iowa when I met both of those people..I'll start hitting Google a bit harder before I reach out to the wonderful HBT community with 'dumb' questions. Thanks guys!

The downward spiral begins. I know boring but my first trial of sous vide. Thank you Amazon Prime Day and Anova. Good testcase as I was preheating I was swearing at my foodsaver that I haven't used in a while. Stupid thing gets fussy sometimes after vacuuming and then not sealing.

Corn on the cob from the farm down the street.

View attachment 1500078978499.jpg

The downward spiral begins. I know boring but my first trial of sous vide. Thank you Amazon Prime Day and Anova. Good testcase as I was preheating I was swearing at my foodsaver that I haven't used in a while. Stupid thing gets fussy sometimes after vacuuming and then not sealing.

Corn on the cob from the farm down the street.

I have typewriter mouth where corn OTC is involved. I'd hammer that, carriage return, hammer, etc

Am I the only one who likes leftover cooked corn OTC? Like taking a cold ear right out of the fridge and biting it right off the cob?

I also really like cutting leftover corn off the cob and using it in shrimp tacos with avocado and raw onion, but I love it right off the cob. There have been plenty of summer Sunday morning brew days where I've sat there eating a cold leftover ear of corn while heating up the strike water.

Am I the only one who likes leftover cooked corn OTC? Like taking a cold ear right out of the fridge and biting it right off the cob?

I also really like cutting leftover corn off the cob and using it in shrimp tacos with avocado and raw onion, but I love it right off the cob. There have been plenty of summer Sunday morning brew days where I've sat there eating a cold leftover ear of corn while heating up the strike water.

Leftover corn gets cut off the cob and used to make a fried medly of (choose 3) red peppers, corn, black beans, tomatillas, portabella mrooms. And olive oil and spices. Yummers. This type of year COTC is super cheap at the grocer.

Now, the methods of cooking are many. I like mine charred right on the grill. I like to tie the husks back into a handle, and defloss. Use a single piece of husk for the tiestring.

_mg_8423-63173.jpg

Last edited:
Leftover corn gets cut off the cob and used to make a fried medly of (choose 3) red peppers, corn, black beans, tortillas, portabella mrooms. And olive oil and spices. Yummers. This type of year COTC is super cheap at the grocer.

Now, the methods of cooking are many. I like mine charred right on the grill. I like to tie the husks back into a handle, and defloss. Use a single piece of husk for the tiestring.

_mg_8423-63173.jpg

Well done.

I knew a sweet corn breeder that would bring a propane burner out to the field, get a kettle of water boiling, and toss a freshly picked ear in at lunch.

Anything less was uncivilized.

Well done.

I knew a sweet corn breeder that would bring a propane burner out to the field, get a kettle of water boiling, and toss a freshly picked ear in at lunch.

Anything less was uncivilized.

When my brothers and I were young, we used to go into the corn fields near our fishing rivers and pull sweet corn right off the stalk and eat it. Fishing makes you hungry.

Gurgle love sweet corn but here in Ioway (where the tall corn grows) we haven't had any yet. We did make a lamb chop roast, coated in herbs, yesterday. And beef fajitas tonight. Sorry, no pix....

No pics here either but we had Oak-grilled, rosemary scented NY strip steaks. I didn't tell KOTC this in advance BUT those steaks, which were vacuum-sealed and still perfectly tightly sealed, were dated 2006! LOL!

AFTER we ate them and he said it was one of the better strip steaks he's eaten (we actually prefer rib steaks) I told him they were 11 years old. He said, "Well, yet another good reason to vacuum-seal stuff!"

And yes, I DO defrost my freezer at least annually - but those never got tossed out because the seal was always perfect - just kept chucking them back in there. Finally decided it was time to try them, since there were leftover grilled hot links in the fridge for backup.

On vacation in the Caribbean, so I didn't cook this, but.....caught some mahi mahi and brought the fillets to the chef at the resort. He grilled it, and served it with rice, fried plantains, and a coconut sauce. It was delicious.

IMG_20170717_125725_393.jpg

Back