What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the wife is making Roasted Butternut soup today. This will be the second time she's made it. I didn't think I was going to like it the first time, that was until I put the first spoonful in my mouth. Oh my God that's delicious! Sorry I don't have a pic now but here is a link to the recipe. I'll try to take one tonight and update this post later.

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2015/09/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-legend-of.html

Alright, what the Phuk, is Pho?

It's a wonderfully-spiced Vietnamese soup of many iterations - beef, chicken, whatever ya got, with noodles and veggies and often cilantro and other great spices. It starts with a really flavorful broth. I love the stuff, KOTC won't touch it!

Until a year or so ago, we had a restaurant here called Pho King. Keeping in mind that "pho" sounds like "fuh" - it was pretty funny to call there! I'm sure the City Fathers had NO idea how to pronounce that or they most likely wouldn't have allowed the name.

I have one of their T-shirts which says, "It's Pho King Delicious!" :rockin:

Alright, what the Phuk, is Pho?

You know how the Chinese and Japanese have Ramen Noodles? The Vietnamese make their own noodle soup that the call Pho (pronounced Fuh or Fah). Its made with a stellar stock, fresh meat and vegetables. It is delicious. You should try it.

If Im not mistaken, doesn't Alexandria, VA have the highest concentration of Vietnamese immigrants and Vietnamese Americans in the country?

Not sure. This area is a big old mixing bowl. We have many of all ethnicities around these parts. Best part too is that means that we have lots of quality international food restaurants. Authenticity is good.

Well, I am sick. Bloody cold centered around my tonsils. Just about the only thing I ever catch. So, of course I need some comfort food, starting with spaghetti. Went into the past and did something very similar to the way my mum makes the sauce, which is simple.
Canned roughly chopped tomatos, properly colored ground beef (I use veggy), shallots, garlic, touch of Worcestershire and chili sauce, apple cider vinegar, concentrated tomato puree, salt and pepper, basil, and of huge importance is a lot of thyme.

For me the keys here are thyme for that family flavor and the vinegar to make the tomatos come back to life.

Lovely stuff to have right now.

Looks great. Whenever I have a head cold, I douse it with generous amounts of sriracha and other hot sauces. I'll sit there with a bowl of some chili or what have you for an hour, and take a bite whenever I start getting plugged up again.

Works as long as you're eating, haha.

I have been wanting to do Pho and found a recipe for turkey Pho and having a carcass.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/leftover-roast-turkey-pho.html

All I can say is HAPPY!
As usual not followed to the letter;)View attachment 319754

Uh... that looks really good. I love Pho. We have 2 places here that do it just amazingly, it's usually a hard sell to get the wife to go, but then she always really enjoys it. I just need to start sneaking over there for lunch.

It's a wonderfully-spiced Vietnamese soup of many iterations - beef, chicken, whatever ya got, with noodles and veggies and often cilantro and other great spices. It starts with a really flavorful broth. I love the stuff, KOTC won't touch it!

Until a year or so ago, we had a restaurant here called Pho King. Keeping in mind that "pho" sounds like "fuh" - it was pretty funny to call there! I'm sure the City Fathers had NO idea how to pronounce that or they most likely wouldn't have allowed the name.

I have one of their T-shirts which says, "It's Pho King Delicious!" :rockin:

One of ours is called Pho Quynh... it's not real far off. Fuhkwin.

Looks great. Whenever I have a head cold, I douse it with generous amounts of sriracha and other hot sauces. I'll sit there with a bowl of some chili or what have you for an hour, and take a bite whenever I start getting plugged up again.

Works as long as you're eating, haha.
I know the feel. Problem is that my nose is pretty much free, little issue there. It´s the bloody throat and coughing. Chili is still nice though.

Tomorrow I might switch to beverages of grated ginger with honey, a sweet savory sweet potatoe pie, and some instant ramen with a good dose of proper hotsauce.

Or just die. We´ll see what the night brings. xD

If Im not mistaken, doesn't Alexandria, VA have the highest concentration of Vietnamese immigrants and Vietnamese Americans in the country?

That would be Falls Church (Fairfax county), VA, not Alexandria (Fairfax County) VA. Very near by, but not the same place.

Another vote for the deliciousness that is Pho. Mmmm... Tendon and flank.

BTW, my smoker died a while back (like years ago). I have been smoking everything on my weber. It's a bit more work than my electric smoker was without a doubt, but I have had great results with ribs, briskets, and now pastrami (more brisket, but what ever).

Sweet set up. I use a water tray to hold the charcoals back. I smoke on my gas also ! I put the chips in a little tray I have or in tin foil pouches turn one burner off . It's a two burner and turn the other one as low as it will go it definitely smokes and it's definitely faster then slow smoking. If you have a super nice gas grill you could do this with great skill and temperature control. My 88 dollar walmart erector set stops at 325.

I have been wanting to do Pho and found a recipe for turkey Pho and having a carcass.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/leftover-roast-turkey-pho.html

All I can say is HAPPY!
As usual not followed to the letter;)View attachment 319754

I prefer bun dac biet but that pho looks amazing! Yeah here in Denver we have more than a couple places we have one on like every other corner and people argue with each other about whose is the best. Whenever I'm in those places I see the staff come out eating these huge piles of delicious food and wonder what the hell do they got that's what I want big piles of meat and shrimp and chicken wrapping in lettuce and other little fried rolls and things.

Grilled hamburgers and fries but i put fries on a preheated 550 degree pizza steel......still fozen fries ;)

I work in a neighborhood of Boston that has been home to the most recent wave of immigrants since way before my Irish grandparents arrived 100 years ago. These days the flavor is Vietnamese, Haitian, and the Caribbean islands.

Bun bo Hue (I don't know how to put the proper inflective symbols over the appropriate letters, there are a few in there) is the best bowl of soup you will EVER have. Period. End of sentence. I've come to LOVE Vietnamese cuisine.

Bahn mei sandwiches are to die for.

That works.

Damn. I have tomorrow off. Wasn't going to head towards work but now I'm thinking Dot Ave for lunch.

Hmmm. I'll get up early. Work on my final exam for a few hours, put the pork butt that I picked up this afternoon on the smoker, then head in and grab a bowl of soup for lunch. It's 15 miles. Hell. I'd walk 15 miles for Bun Bo Hue.

Bun bo hue vs bun dac biet! Ill have both

That works.

Damn. I have tomorrow off. Wasn't going to head towards work but now I'm thinking Dot Ave for lunch.

Hmmm. I'll get up early. Work on my final exam for a few hours, put the pork butt that I picked up this afternoon on the smoker, then head in and grab a bowl of soup for lunch. It's 15 miles. Hell. I'd walk 15 miles for Bun Bo Hue.

Damn you two, you've woken the dragon... or maybe I should blame @ChefRex

Now I can't decide whether to quell the craving right now, or make it this weekend.

Heading to Baltimore aquarium shortly, then Lexington Market for a crab cake and maybe a couple of hot dogs from different places. Not where I can cook, but I will still findvsome good eats!

You can blame me, I don't care and I got to savor the goodness that is pho[emoji6]

Bah... good excuse to make beef stock (out at the moment), but I want it nao.

Oh well, maybe tomorrow I'll throw some roasted knuckles and marrow bones in my slow-cooker with the veggies and water and let it go for a day or so.

I like to make the stock at least a day before I plan to use it because I like to cold crash it and get some of that fat out of there. Nothing better than homemade stock. I've saved 3 pheasant carcasses lately, plan on making pheasant stock as well... never had it, but I guess we'll see. I'm making stock more now since I started doing it in the slow-cooker. Doesn't affect the taste/consistency at all.

Pulled pork and peppers for last nights supper. Ready to go on toasted french bread.
PorkAndPeppersCrop.jpg

I've been using the pressure cooker to make stock. I like to roast off the bones first, throw 'em in the digital electric 8 quart PC with a halved onion and whatever veggies I have - celery, carrots, etc. - definitely a small handful of garlic cloves, a bay leaf or three, a little salt/pepper/thyme. For liquids, a homebrew or two, and/or bottle of wine, enough water to come up to 2/3 of the PC. I set it on High pressure and punch 90 minutes into the timer and let 'er rip. It makes the BEST stock and with the digital PC it's a "set it and forget it" operation.

Damn you two, you've woken the dragon... or maybe I should blame @ChefRex

Now I can't decide whether to quell the craving right now, or make it this weekend.

:)

If you dont know what bun dac biet is it is steak chicken shrimp and sausage fried egg rolls served on rice noodles with vegetables and usually peanuts.. The broth is usually on the side and it is normally accompanied with different types of hot sauces. I personally prefer Vietnamese noodle bowls they're called over the soup Bowls like pho

:)

If you dont know what bun dac biet is it is steak chicken shrimp and sausage fried egg rolls served on rice noodles with vegetables and usually peanuts.. The broth is usually on the side and it is normally accompanied with different types of hot sauces. I personally prefer Vietnamese noodle bowls they're called over the soup Bowls like pho

Oh yes... they call them "season bowls" where I frequent. Delicious as well.

It's always a toss-up between that or some pho and spring rolls, which is why I'll make pho this weekend and go get a season bowl for lunch one of these days.

I've been using the pressure cooker to make stock. I like to roast off the bones first, throw 'em in the digital electric 8 quart PC with a halved onion and whatever veggies I have - celery, carrots, etc. - definitely a small handful of garlic cloves, a bay leaf or three, a little salt/pepper/thyme. For liquids, a homebrew or two, and/or bottle of wine, enough water to come up to 2/3 of the PC. I set it on High pressure and punch 90 minutes into the timer and let 'er rip. It makes the BEST stock and with the digital PC it's a "set it and forget it" operation.

Yeah, mine gets the standard celery/carrots/garlic/bay leaves (2 usually) etc.

I roast the bones for ~30-40 mins (sometimes the night before) toss everything in the slow-cooker on low. Smells up the house for a day, which is great.

I've seen the pressure cooker method mentioned a lot, but don't own one.

@Psylocide, I have two of them, both are same brand, same size - 8 quart oval, fits a lot of good stuff in there and I like the oval for things like ham bones.

Once you get used to using one, you wonder why you waited so long! :) I have a 6 quart stovetop PC also but hardly ever use it because it takes a lot more "babysitting" than the digital electric countertop jobbies.

@Psylocide, I have two of them, both are same brand, same size - 8 quart oval, fits a lot of good stuff in there and I like the oval for things like ham bones.

Once you get used to using one, you wonder why you waited so long! :) I have a 6 quart stovetop PC also but hardly ever use it because it takes a lot more "babysitting" than the digital electric countertop jobbies.

I really need to stop posting on this forum... the longer I stay, the more crap I buy. Haha.

Oh yes... they call them "season bowls" where I frequent. Delicious as well.

It's always a toss-up between that or some pho and spring rolls, which is why I'll make pho this weekend and go get a season bowl for lunch one of these days.

With the whole family, we usually get a large pho, some kind of bun or com dish (noodle or rice bowls), spring rolls, salad rolls, and some other appetizer to round things out. Everyone gets a little of everything and we make a mess of the table.

When I'm by myself, I get a noodle bowl with lemongrass pork and spring rolls in it (I forget the name). I still make a mess of the table.

Shall I extoll the virtues of the new Vitamix I bought yesterday? :D

I would just use it to crush my grain... so please, no.

Bet that would go through a 20 lb grain bill faster than my current blender, lol.

I would just use it to crush my grain... so please, no.

Bet that would go through a 20 lb grain bill faster than my current blender, lol.

We buy hard red winter wheat by the 50# sack - sprout, dehydrate, grind in the Vitamix for our bread. Works great! :)

Haven't tried it for grinding malts though - LHBS does that for us.

We buy hard red winter wheat by the 50# sack - sprout, dehydrate, grind in the Vitamix for our bread. Works great! :)

Haven't tried it for grinding malts though - LHBS does that for us.

I just use a cheap-o blender... I dunno, GE garbage or something.

My LHBS gives you a discount on grain if you mill your own and I'm cheap.

Ah well - if our LHBS did that we might try it through the VM too! But, same price, whether he crushes it or we bring it home whole - so may as well let him use HIS 'lectricity!

How much of a discount to mill grain in a blender?

I was trying to figure out how many years it would take me to break even on a grain mill.

Back